Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In some parts of Southern CA, there is def a wait. I do not supercharge often anymore due to installing the Tesla charger at home but sometimes the wait is pretty significant.
Yep, in Canada too although no US money would ever go to fund chargers in Canada. Still lots of lineups in the last few weeks in Ontario. Opening those superchargers to non teslas would be devastating to the Tesla owner experience in those areas. They’ll have to pick carefully which superchargers they will open.

Personally I don’t see it happening in Canada anytime soon.

Last edited:
What needs to happen literally for this to get fixed? Is there any hope?
There may be a few changes which would help with the existing system, mostly wrt transparency. The video linked below (published earlier today) is an excellent high-level overview and discussion of the entire topic of Market Makers abusing naked short selling.

There's no doubt they have the collective fire power to pin at $200. Question in my mind is: Will they have enough left over to unwind the pin early next week without causing too much upside "damage". Although, if necessary, I guess they can always just add to the mountain of FTDs that they've created.
One of the two guests on this video runs a business which has for the past 20 years tracked FTD reports, and basically has commercialized what we try to do here, but with a focus on results for a particular client. He does say that block-chain is the final answer, but cites one notable effort to reign in the abuses.

This is the case where Congress payed a billon dollars to create a tracking system for Wall St. clearing houses, and there has been no data ever submitted to it in the 8 years since it was created, due to the successful lobbying efforts of those brokers/dealers it was designed monitor. Self-interest rules supreme on Wall St. therefore we have to find a way for companies who are under attack to track and control their own shares. Well, that's blockchain.

Today's interview: Tracking Naked Shorts on Wall Street - ShareIntel & BuyIns.Net | Rodger James Hamilton

BTW, this is the best discussion I have ever seen on this topic. Well worth the 45 min (I watched it twice).

Cheers to the Longs!

Last edited:
Trade your Tesla in for a Bolt when you have the money for either is saying you hate Elon so much you will put your own family at risk. The crash safety difference between these two cars is astounding.
I drove a Bolt for 3 years before getting a Model Y and the difference is night and day. Good point about the step-down in safety.

There definitely seems like there is something personal going on.

This reminds me back in 2014 when I got invited by one of my clients to join him at the Tesla factory for a tour as he was picking up his Model S. The Tesla employee who was giving us the orientation and run down on the car said Wozniak was in a few days before picking up his car. The Tesla employee was complaining that when they were syncing Wozniac's phone contacts with the Tesla it took over 30 minutes due to the high number of contacts he had on his phone.

Yeah, given that Tesla recently rejected the ~$6M California awarded them for Supercharger/CCS installations, I would guess Tesla doesn't care about the Federal NEVI funding.

They can’t use Superchargers and the US government is paying out billions to companies which create unreliable, poorly maintained networks of c
Well, the US government hasn't paid anything out yet. And when they do it will be to the 52 states/territories. And then each of them gets to apply their own rules and decide how to spend the money.

This was brought up when the bill came out originally. The opening up is only for NEW, Federally Funded chargers. And I'm pretty sure it specifically states that the charger must contain a CCS connector as a requirement (additional other types were ok though). I don't remember any POS or screen display requirements (that was a California requirement for their money).
The Federal rules are just the beginning, each of the 52 states/territories gets to add their own rules on top. Arizona will require Plug&Charge and the ability to use other network accounts, Electrify America/EVgo/ChargePoint/Blink/etc., for payment(So they can take a cut of the charges), Oregon will require screens/credit card terminals and at least one 350kW CCS charger, etc.

It will be interesting to see what the final NEVI requirements are, and then what each state/territory adds on top. But I still say that Tesla won't get much, if any, of the NEVI funding.

Woz was a top level engineer. It's not that Woz was lucky he knew Jobs. Woz and Jobs were lucky they knew each other.
Well I agree, but my statement is still correct 😀. Woz did some elegant work, but let’s not put him up on a pedestal for no reason. Other than writing a floppy controller in software and designing the Apple 2, he really hasn’t done much else.

$196.99 eh? Oh well, 2 1/2 weeks 'til Investor's Day, as long as it stays comfortably above 200 until then, I'll be content... not estatic but content.
I picked up a handful more shares today... Figured it might not drop below 200 until the next stock split... I still think anything below $300 is a steal of a deal.

Woz was a top level engineer. It's not that Woz was lucky he knew Jobs. Woz and Jobs were lucky they knew each other.
Woz was a brilliant guy, at his level of expertise. But that level was the raw-hardware of the 8-bit microprocessor interfaced with discrete TTL logic. Things for which a single human could "encompass it all". He designed and built the Apple I and II logic boards single-handedly. His building the Apple ][ floppy disk controller & system over a weekend in a hotel room, where he eschewed the typical "intelligent drive" design of the time and instead took a "dumb" drive mechanism, built the low-level interface logic out of discrete gates, and then moved the "intelligence" in to the software, is legendary.

But, that type of specific brilliance often leads to myopia. There were a number of things that he didn't do (or care to/about), that made the Apple II attractive to consumers. Often they were aesthetic things. I'm reminded of the Apple II high-res mode. When you initiate it, it is drawn on the screen in "bands" rather than progressiviely. It literally saved one single logic gate, but was not as attractive of an experience. He was an engineer, he did not care about such things.

When it came time to do the Mac, the focus was on usability and approachability for the average person, not a geek. And the scope would require a team, each only being responsible for a subset of HW or SW, rather than it being a single human effort. Ultimately Wozniak wasn't part of that team, after literally building the computer(s) that defined what a home computer made Apple up to that point.

You'd think that such an interest in engineering excellence would make him partial to Tesla. But much like not caring about aesthetics or saving a logic gate, I suspect he is hung up on what some detail(s) that prevents him from seeing the bigger picture.

Last edited:
maybe he was at the time. maybe he got overcompensated and got lazy?

Well I agree, but my statement is still correct 😀. Woz did some elegant work, but let’s not put him up on a pedestal for no reason. Other than writing a floppy controller in software and designing the Apple 2, he really hasn’t done much else.

After he left Apple, among other things, he founded the company that brought the first programmable universal remote control to market, then founded a company to make wireless GPS tracking tags almost 20 years before Apple made airtags, then served on the boards of several tech companies including the one that made the Sidekick (company later sold to Microsoft), then was head tech guy at a flash memory company bought out by Sandisk- among a number of other lead engineering jobs.

When not continuing to do tech work he also helped found the Electronic Frontier Foundation, the Tech Museum, a bunch of education/philanthropy stuff, and also founded Silicon Valley Comic Con.

Also he's still technically on Apples payroll (never left) and still represents them at events and stuff.

I mean, it's not putting rockets in space I grant you... but what've all have you two done exactly?

Seriously, I had some issues with his specific criticism in this case too, but the folks pretending he's just some has-been who got lucky one time 35 years ago and has been useless since is... not a great look....nor reflective of reality.

BTW there's an actual thread dedicated to this specific topic folks might want to take further discussion:

After he left Apple, among other things, he founded the company that brought the first programmable universal remote control to market, then founded a company to make wireless GPS tracking tags almost 20 years before Apple made airtags, then served on the boards of several tech companies including the one that made the Sidekick (company later sold to Microsoft), then was head tech guy at a flash memory company bought out by Sandisk- among a number of other lead engineering jobs.

When not continuing to do tech work he also helped found the Electronic Frontier Foundation, the Tech Museum, a bunch of education/philanthropy stuff, and also founded Silicon Valley Comic Con.

Also he's still technically on Apples payroll (never left) and still represents them at events and stuff.

I mean, it's not putting rockets in space I grant you... but what've all have you two done exactly?

Seriously, I had some issues with his specific criticism in this case too, but the folks pretending he's just some has-been who got lucky one time 35 years ago and has been useless since is... not a great look....nor reflective of reality.

BTW there's an actual thread dedicated to this specific topic folks might want to take further discussion:

I have no doubt he's been involved with other significant things. But that doesn't prevent a smart person from having blind spots. Heck I bet even the most ardent of Elon fans would agree we've seen that.

Yeah, given that Tesla recently rejected the ~$6M California awarded them for Supercharger/CCS installations, I would guess Tesla doesn't care about the Federal NEVI funding.

Well, the US government hasn't paid anything out yet. And when they do it will be to the 52 states/territories. And then each of them gets to apply their own rules and decide how to spend the money.

The Federal rules are just the beginning, each of the 52 states/territories gets to add their own rules on top. Arizona will require Plug&Charge and the ability to use other network accounts, Electrify America/EVgo/ChargePoint/Blink/etc., for payment(So they can take a cut of the charges), Oregon will require screens/credit card terminals and at least one 350kW CCS charger, etc.

It will be interesting to see what the final NEVI requirements are, and then what each state/territory adds on top. But I still say that Tesla won't get much, if any, of the NEVI funding.
While the federally funded/subsidized chargers are not Tesla, it will be very likely that those chargers will have accommodations to charge Tesla cars, being that they are the vast majority of EVs.

Reactions: petit_bateau

I’ve done OK, but no one is lauding my life achievements, unlike what people do to Woz. And no one in these threads said he is a has been, that’s a straw man. Indeed I said that without Jobs he would just be a random competent engineer, and if you look at his work, that’s pretty much what he is. He just happens to have celebrity status for being so rich and being a founder of Apple.

I’ve done OK, but no one is lauding my life achievements, unlike what people do to Woz. And no one in these threads said he is a has been, that’s a straw man. Indeed I said that without Jobs he would just be a random competent engineer, and if you look at his work, that’s pretty much what he is. He just happens to have celebrity status for being so rich and being a founder of Apple.

I actually went ahead and read the Fortune article. His criticisms are fair, Elon did say a bunch of things that haven't materialized and he's holding the company, which he has bought more than one product for and has been an advocate for the company in the past, to a really high standard.

Maybe he's just being a good customer and calling out a company he buys products from for their promises?

Edit: To add, I think its better to be a critical customer than an enthusiast that never criticizes products/services a company provides. The latter are not as helpful to how better products are made, but are helpful to how they're marketed to the masses typically. It'd be helpful to see how Elon responds, if at all to customer complaints from Tesla.

Last edited by a moderator:
While the federally funded/subsidized chargers are not Tesla, it will be very likely that those chargers will have accommodations to charge Tesla cars, being that they are the vast majority of EVs.
Highly unlikely. They will most likely just be CCS. Tesla drivers that want to use them can use the CCS adapter that Tesla has available. (Though some cars will need a retrofit that isn't yet available.)

Reactions: petit_bateau
I think Woz is completely on the money when it comes to FSD and the way Elon has sold it. Even today I think few people really understand what they’re buying and that they’re only being sold a Level 2 ADAS.

FSD has been a masterclass in walking a very fine marketing line and Elon is truly next level in his use of Twitter for this stuff.