Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
main-qimg-27c097571f2b094ce602311d41dfafc4-lq

Of course, "you" should be replaced with "they" referring to Dodge / Chrysler / Stellantis (or whatever they will call them after the next bankruptcy avoidance merger/acquisition)

Vision-only is fine for FSD on HW3 (and who knows which other iterations) because ownership of the driving task will never be transferred away from the person in the driver's seat. Even in California, this was the plan communicated to the DMV back in 2019-2020: a final release of FSD will remain Level 2, and further iterative processes will follow with the goal of achieving something Level 3+.

Sensor redundancy is required for advancing beyond Level 2 for the reasons you described and others, but the driver is the redundancy in Level 2 and below.
This has nothing to do with FSD. The removal of ultrasonics stops the auto park and parking assist from working. I don't think ultrasonics were ever used for actual road driving.

Apologies if this article about Mercedes reaching Level 3 that came out a few weeks ago was already shared, but I found it to be hilarious:

Last edited:
Just stating 'HW3 is fine for FSD' doesn't make it true. And FULL SELF DRIVING was very much promoted as being robotaxi capable. Its disingenuous to pretend otherwise. I should be able to sleep in my HW3 FSD car. It cant even park.

My $80,000 luxury EV does not have adequate parking sensors, cannot self park, and can only manage autosteer if its not muddy or raining.
Thats a terrible, terrible experience for the customer. People trying to spin the removal of USS as being some sort of 4D chess, or no big deal, clearly do not experience driving conditions that the rest of us do.

Unless FSD v11 is released VERY soon in Europe, and totally replaces the old functionality of USS, all European Tesla owners are getting a car with a worse feature set than a rival EV at half the price. There is no way to pretend this is not an issue. Just read some European Tesla forums on the topic to see what actual paying customers think about the lack of USS.

I am SUPER bullish about FSD long term, and especially for geofenced regions in certain weather conditions. But true worldwide FSD without a new sensor suite and self cleaning cameras? No.

I came across a new (to me) ticker in my Canadian Wealthsimple account - TSLA CDR (CAD hedged). For those of you that know more, can you tell me the pro's & con's? Am I correct in assuming I lose a bit if the CAD decreases relative to USD, and I benefit if CAD increases relative to USD. Also, WealthSimple charges me for USD transactions (but CAD transactions have no fees). Anything I'm missing? I imagine I can't vote these shares?

Good article by teslamag.de giving context on reuters ´news´ that Giga Berlin complete cell production has been moved to Austin for the time being due to IRA advantages in the US.
  • Yeah, we heard about that before.. New part is that a Tesla speaker confirmed it
  • Electrode production for Giga Austin only just starting (is this DBE??!)
  • Battery packs will soon be made for local use

Will note that the roadways across CA are awful right now with a lot of deep potholes. Im not entirely sure how sustainable roadways are if we keep getting these rainfall amounts annually going forward.

I came across a new (to me) ticker in my Canadian Wealthsimple account - TSLA CDR (CAD hedged). For those of you that know more, can you tell me the pro's & con's? Am I correct in assuming I lose a bit if the CAD decreases relative to USD, and I benefit if CAD increases relative to USD. Also, WealthSimple charges me for USD transactions (but CAD transactions have no fees). Anything I'm missing? I imagine I can't vote these shares?
Con: Bid/ask spread is wide at 0.6% right now vs Tesla typically runs at 0.03%. Also, velocity is low considering Tesla is up 0.16% while this is down 0.32% at this moment. Savings in either transaction fee or currency exchange avoidance will be hard to make up the difference vs just buying Tesla stock.

Pro: arb opportunity if you can put some kind of alert to monitor the bid/ask vs Tesla and trade in both.

I did not look into what does "hedged" mean for this ETF. So that could be a pro. (or a con)

7697097A-CAAB-4CA0-BE97-65F4A0C759D4.jpeg

Last edited:
Just stating 'HW3 is fine for FSD' doesn't make it true. And FULL SELF DRIVING was very much promoted as being robotaxi capable. Its disingenuous to pretend otherwise. I should be able to sleep in my HW3 FSD car. It cant even park.

My $80,000 luxury EV does not have adequate parking sensors, cannot self park, and can only manage autosteer if its not muddy or raining.
Thats a terrible, terrible experience for the customer. People trying to spin the removal of USS as being some sort of 4D chess, or no big deal, clearly do not experience driving conditions that the rest of us do.

Unless FSD v11 is released VERY soon in Europe, and totally replaces the old functionality of USS, all European Tesla owners are getting a car with a worse feature set than a rival EV at half the price. There is no way to pretend this is not an issue. Just read some European Tesla forums on the topic to see what actual paying customers think about the lack of USS.

I am SUPER bullish about FSD long term, and especially for geofenced regions in certain weather conditions. But true worldwide FSD without a new sensor suite and self cleaning cameras? No.
I'm just communicating what I think Tesla's argument would be: there's nothing on the order page or website referencing anything required to be a robotaxi. The argument will be that you bought a Level 2 ADAS that can operate at a safety level in excess of a human as demonstrated by billions of miles of experience plus a caveat that regulatory approval may be a hinderance.

wipster is laughing at Mercedes rolling out a Level 3 Traffic Jam Assist that actually allows you to stop paying attention to what the vehicle is doing in certain conditions, but taking ownership of the DDT at all is a huge step and something that nobody else has done. And if you go to the Mercedes Drive Pilot page, they use all the proper terminology and things that are actually required to be Level 3. What's you're buying and what you'll get could not be clearer with Mercedes, few people understand what they're buying with FSD.

Wake me up when Tesla starts talking about taking ownership of the driving task, shifting liability away from the human in the driver's seat, SAE Levels, and things that actually matter because that is when you'll know robotaxis are seriously on the docket.

Tesla Model S And Model X Spotted With New Cameras, Hardware​

And a round steering wheel too.

I'm just communicating what I think Tesla's argument would be: there's nothing on the order page or website referencing anything required to be a robotaxi. The argument will be that you bought a Level 2 ADAS that can operate at a safety level in excess of a human as demonstrated by billions of miles of experience plus a caveat that regulatory approval may be a hinderance.

wipster is laughing at Mercedes rolling out a Level 3 Traffic Jam Assist that actually allows you to stop paying attention to what the vehicle is doing in certain conditions, but taking ownership of the DDT at all is a huge step and something that nobody else has done. And if you go to the Mercedes Drive Pilot page, they use all the proper terminology and things that are actually required to be Level 3. What's you're buying and what you'll get could not be clearer with Mercedes, few people understand what they're buying with FSD.

Wake me up when Tesla starts talking about taking ownership of the driving task, shifting liability away from the human in the driver's seat, SAE Levels, and things that actually matter because that is when you'll know robotaxis are seriously on the docket.
I'm laughing at it because of the "certain conditions." Great if you're in Nevada, you don't go above 40 mph and drive in certain geofenced areas and have cameras, lidar, radar, ultrasound sensors, and microphones installed. Plus, nowhere in this article does it state that Mercedes will assume liability... although since the area in which this system can be utilized is so small, it shouldn't be a big deal.

Tesla could have done that easily, but they chose a different (and better IMO) path.

Having owned a few Mercedes, I can see the recalls already...

I'm laughing at it because of the "certain conditions." Great if you're in Nevada, you don't go above 40 mph and drive in certain geofenced areas and have cameras, lidar, radar, ultrasound sensors, and microphones installed. Plus, nowhere in this article does it state that Mercedes will assume liability... although since the area in which this system can be utilized is so small, it shouldn't be a big deal.

Tesla could have done that easily, but they chose a different (and better) path.

Having owned a few Mercedes, I can see the recalls already...
Level 3+ is defined by taking liability for the DDT within an ODD. Mercedes' L3 here is a traffic jam assist. Imagine Autopilot except when you get into a traffic jam on a mapped highway it flips into Level 3 mode and you can actually stop paying attention. Pull out your laptop, some documents, your phone, etc and let the vehicle do its thing.

Traffic jam starts clearing, the system gives you a warning to take over, and it flips back into a Level 2 ADAS where you're responsible again.

I don't think Tesla could do this with HW3, there is not enough risk mitigation. And there will be no Level 4-5 robotaxis without sensor redundancies and even greater risk mitigation when liability for the driving task is owned by a corporation and vehicles are travelling at higher speeds.

Reactions: petit_bateau

As many have noted- that is only true if you bought after March 2019... those buying from late 2016 until the March '19 change were promised more explicitly an actual self-driving system requiring no action from a human right on the order page.

But as always this stuff already has exhaustively long (and far more specifically on topic) discussion over here: