Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good article by teslamag.de giving context on reuters ´news´ that Giga Berlin complete cell production has been moved to Austin for the time being due to IRA advantages in the US.
  • Yeah, we heard about that before.. New part is that a Tesla speaker confirmed it
  • Electrode production for Giga Austin only just starting (is this DBE??!)
  • Battery packs will soon be made for local use
So Tesla was ready to set up volume battery production in Europe but chose to produce them in the US instead because of local government support.

What's the bottleneck for Tesla to produce battery in both Europe and the US? I believe it isn't the raw materials (since Tesla's suppliers got them), not demand (virtually unlimited since Tesla drop prices), not cash (the board is said to be considering buybacks), not machines. Is it people? Or are they just doing a POC and can do that with a single GF? But wasn't Kato Road enough for that?

Reactions: jkirkwood001
Level 3+ is defined by taking liability for the DDT within an ODD. Mercedes' L3 here is a traffic jam assist. Imagine Autopilot except when you get into a traffic jam on a mapped highway it flips into Level 3 mode and you can actually stop paying attention. Pull out your laptop, some documents, your phone, etc and let the vehicle do its thing.

Traffic jam starts clearing, the system gives you a warning to take over, and it flips back into a Level 2 ADAS where you're responsible again.

I don't think Tesla could do this with HW3, there is not enough risk mitigation. And there will be no Level 4-5 robotaxis without sensor redundancies and even greater risk mitigation when liability for the driving task is owned by a corporation and vehicles are travelling at higher speeds.
Fully aware of that. It's perhaps the biggest difference between levels 2 & 3. My point was the article does not state it and it's not something that everyone knows.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
So Tesla was ready to set up volume battery production in Europe but chose to produce them in the US instead because of local government support.

What's the bottleneck for Tesla to produce battery in both Europe and the US? I believe it isn't the raw materials (since Tesla's suppliers got them), not demand (virtually unlimited since Tesla drop prices), not cash (the board is said to be considering buybacks), not machines. Is it people? Or are they just doing a POC and can do that with a single GF? But wasn't Kato Road enough for that?

Equipment. Tesla sent some destined for Germany to the US.

TBH I'm not THAT worried about what was promised or delivered regarding FSD, despite having just bought a car with FSD and having bought autopilot 1 in 2015.

However I would make 2 points:

1) FSD is ONLY available in the US. People in the UK who pay the extra for FSD currently get... stopping at traffic lights. Wahey. Not exactly a good deal. And autosteer is restricted in how much it can turn by EU law still, and there is no sign of tesla challenging that yet.

2) The USS debacle has meant that we have NO autopark, or even assisted parking in a new tesla in the UK. My 11 year old Lexus has parking beeps, my brand new model Y performance has zero.

If you ask the average UK new Tesla owner whats more important: FSD some day, or parking sensors and autopark today, they would not choose FSD. We don't have the beat, let alone the final product, but our cars have crippled functionality NOW.

My neighbor just bought an MG EV. Cost less than half my model Y. Has 360 top down camera view and parking sensors. This is clearly ridiculous. What is worse, Tesla have ZERO interest in replying to complaints from UK owners. Terrible customer service, terrible user experience. Serious concern for investors. Tesla is cash rich. Hire some customer service representatives for the love of god!

Equipment. Tesla sent some destined for Germany to the US.

That and the fact that Berlin is making electrodes for Austin suggests something in the production chain didn´t work out the way they planned (otherwise they´d do it all at Austin), takes more factory space or is too slow so they have to do it in parallel. Maybe DBE (slower than expected), or the replacement for that (more space)..

My guess/hope: DBE is still too slow but there is hope, so for now they distribute it between Berlin and Austin. Once they are up to speed with the process, Austin cells are supplied only with Austin DBE electrodes and Berlin also starts producing its own cells.

Placed 50 @ 195. Doubt we go much lower. Looking for that MMD to catch a ride ;)
I slept in, looks like it went through. My wife bought a few as well, then placed another order at 193.5 for 11 shares. It was at 194.5 at the time and having 89 shares on hand, she thought she'd round up. So I asked, "You're holding out for $11?" Yuppers!

Well, it did hit proving again she's got way more patience than I. Her initials are MMD, for real.

B24C7700-19EB-4B08-9EDF-FDE7B1D1DA89.jpeg
This reminds me of something…

The timing of this looks to be aligned with the dip in TSLA’s share price this morning - and across the broader market.

When Elon is saying people should avoid using margin IMO he is not referring to recession concerns, but instead he is referring to the escalation of tensions between the US and Russia. And yesterday the bear got poked again. So it doesn’t surprise me to see over-cautionary reactions from the Market to any news that could even be remotely associated with this very unfortunate situation.

Be careful folks. TSLA is in a difficult situation to trade at the moment. It should be climbing as fast as any other stock at the moment, which means it could be oversold on bad news quicker than other stocks as a result. And thus it probably lends itself to some unethical head-fakes by Big Money along the way too.

Not exactly. For example…

Buying 10 shares every month - without worrying about the price - is not dollar cost averaging.

Buying $2,000 worth of shares every month - without worrying about the price - is dollar cost averaging.

Work it out with a spreadsheet and you’ll see with the latter you’ll end up with more shares in any typical market. In the former you’ll have 120 shares in a year. In the latter you’ll almost certainly have more than that, having bought more when the price was low, and fewer when the price was high.
Of course you are right. I just don't think of buying and selling stock in terms of how many shares I buy, you invest dollars, share count is a side effect the market introduces. I don't think I suggested otherwise.

The announcement was this:
Tesla Global Engineering headquarters is going to be where the former headquarters of Hewlett Packard in Palo Alto, California.

Some more info at this CNBC link
  • The expansion will focus on hiring engineers proficient in research development and artificial intelligence.
  • Tesla is taking over the lease for the office space, previously occupied by Hewlett-Packard.
  • The plans will help accelerate efforts to produce autonomous driving and robot technology.
  • Sources said Musk initiated the meeting after several previous attempts to set up talks between the state’s most well-known politician and the most outspoken billionaire failed to materialize.
Edit: Official Tesla Twitter video of it if you want to watch. Link But there isn't anything notable added

Last edited: