Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Yeah, I know it's SA, but this piece seems to be less than 50% BS, so much better than most.

When asked recently why he preferred BYD to Tesla, Charlie Munger said:

This piece goes into what Charlie might be thinking, and how it might be justified. Worth a look.

This is nonsensical. is charlie really that deluded? or that determined to hate Tesla? The fact that one company raises prices and the other cuts them? Thats kindergarten analysis.
Not sure why he cant see this but from a shareholder POV its PROFIT that matters, not vehicle prices. If the value of a company was based on vehicle price without regards to profitability we would all be selling our kidneys to buy some Lucid stock...

This is nonsensical. is charlie really that deluded? or that determined to hate Tesla? The fact that one company raises prices and the other cuts them? Thats kindergarten analysis.
Not sure why he cant see this but from a shareholder POV its PROFIT that matters, not vehicle prices. If the value of a company was based on vehicle price without regards to profitability we would all be selling our kidneys to buy some Lucid stock...

Charlie is simply talking up his book, like he always does. In the past Charlie has done this about a company while concurrently buying a competing stock, and then once their done accumulating they totally switch the talking points up.

The reality is BYD competes mostly in hybrids and low end EV's while Tesla largely ignores those markets. At least until the Gen 3 Tesla comes out, and THEN we'll see BYD and Tesla competing on the same field.

Everybody calm down… We are seeing a Model Y, clearly.

Here is a pic I found on my phone from a somewhat similar angle. Camera / Zoom distortion just makes it look shorter…

3B9F74F3-77B7-4EDB-A42B-54F5CBE84BC3.jpeg

I hear your comment about profit.

I will note that there is such a thing as “pricing power”. Pricing power separates (a bit) a product from a commodity. Charlie (and many traditional investment grey beards) avoid investing in companies that lack pricing power. That includes my experience.

EM has a manufacturing vision based on ever expanding volume resulting in pricing being a critical tool for maintaining volume growth. Risky.

I see his plan but struggle with the risk since I have zero visibility to what he has cooking in the lab. Grid storage is not enough IMO.

The clarity coming from investor day is necessary if the more generalized business plan includes embracing commodity pricing as a delivery tool in achieving scale. It is a valid approach but has dependencies IMO.

My estimation is that investor day must reveal specifics and commitments or will be waived off by the conservative investors (Munger et al). If he delivers then he mitigates the risks of commodity pricing and investor dollars come in. YMMV

I will note that there is such a thing as “pricing power”. Pricing power separates (a bit) a product from a commodity. Charlie (and many traditional investment grey beards) avoid investing in companies that lack pricing power. That includes my experience.
The issue here is that Tesla's prices are transparent. Other manufacturers work through dealers where every car is sold at a different price, so it appears that the price from the manufacturer is stable when in reality it changes just as often, or more often, than Tesla's price. (there are some rare exceptions)

Us Jan Overall Pce Price Index +0.6 Pct (+0.6194) Vs Dec +0.2 Pct (Prev +0.1 Pct)

08:32:08

Us Jan Core Pce Price Index +0.6 Pct (+0.5711; Consensus +0.4 Pct) Vs Dec +0.4 Pct (Prev +0.3 Pct)

Us Jan Year-Over Year Pce Price Index +5.4 Pct Vs Dec +5.3 Pct (Prev +5.0 Pct); Core +4.7 Pct (Consensus +4.3 Pct) Vs Dec +4.6 Pct (Prev +4.4 Pct)

Us Jan Personal Saving Rate 4.7 Pct Vs Dec 4.5 Pct

08:32:21

Us Jan Personal Spending +1.8 Pct (Consensus +1.3 Pct) Vs Dec -0.1 Pct (Prev -0.2 Pct)

Us Jan Real Consumer Spending +1.1 Pct Vs Dec -0.3 Pct (Prev -0.3 Pct)

Sourced from twitter

Explains why TSLA fell $3.5 with 10 minutes during premarket from 199 to 195.5

Last edited:
To me it sounds like he wants to sell his BYD stock to retail.

Nobody knows
Especially you, as history has proven time and time again.
This, Ladies and Gentlemen, is what daily chart looks like just before it goes ballistic
This is what baseless bloviating based on nothing looks like. When bears do the same thing on the downside they get ridiculed, and rightly so. It's no better when it's done in the opposite direction.

This, Ladies and Gentlemen, is what daily chart looks like just before it goes ballistic
TSLA daily coiled spring Prepared for major bull run which could literally start anytime
Bollinger breakout likely to happen with price action similar to October 2019 when TSLA broke out almost 350% within 4 months
Will it happen again? I dunno but I’m super excited and have accumulated a decent sized position in anticipation of an imminent breakout rally in TSLA shares
How high could Tesla shares go within next few months? Nobody knows but $400 to $700 will not shock me. Not very likely that it hits $600+ by summer but hey, weirder things happen in stock market all the time
I’m sitting tight, with delicious anticipation, dead set to make back all my lost $ with God’s grace
All above is simply my wild speculation that nobody should take seriously
Certainly Not financial advice. None of this is.since I could be misinterpreting this chart and may easily be proven wrong by markets which have humbled many great speculators
View attachment 910651
I hope you're right but I don't see how someone could view this as a breakout ready to happen. I see the share price, in a bear market, coming up to the 200-day and the upper edge of the downward trend line. That tells me retracement is most likely over the next few weeks. Additionally we have a gravity well at about 150. We would need something to overpower these technicals, and if past history is any indication of the future, Investor Day is more likely to trigger a downside slide.

EM has a manufacturing vision based on ever expanding volume resulting in pricing being a critical tool for maintaining volume growth. Risky.

I disagreed with you primarily because you appear to ignore manufacturing efficiency apart from traditional volume efficiency. You also ignore the process efficiency from design and manufacturing processes that few OEM's consider at all, such as gigapress, octovalve, vehicle operating system and the factory OS. Further you ignore distribution system efficiency in sales, delivery and support. All those are responsible for a major part of the industry-leading Gross Margins.

Your fundamental error is the same one Charlie Munger is making; you do not understand the difference between 'commodity' and 'product'. Even in commodities production and distribution system efficiencies are important though, thus, for example, Saudi Arabia has vastly more pricing power than does, say, Russia, a very high cost producer.Mr. Munger knew of such issues once, but now he thinks a car is a car, generics all! You're seemingly seduced by the successes of past decades and ignoring value today and in the future,

FWIW, I admire BYD. They're no Tesla.

Last edited:
"We have this enormity of data that's collected in space. What's the best way to be able to coordinate that information?" asked Parikh, who is also deputy assistant to President Joe Biden.

"What's the best way to be able to make that information accessible—not just to the climate researchers, which are incredibly important people around the world—but also state and local governments, to communities, to urban planners. so they can actually make that information accessible and usable," he added.

The issue here is that Tesla's prices are transparent. Other manufacturers work through dealers where every car is sold at a different price, so it appears that the price from the manufacturer is stable when in reality it changes just as often, or more often, than Tesla's price. (there are some rare exceptions)
Or one could consider that what is transparent is demand🤔

• Funny
Reactions: Artful Dodger
it’s a month old..and someone linked it in the semimsection ( got no responses) but this article is pretty informative on the semi. I would say looking good for tsla, but also thought it made a good point about software specific things for various companies using the semi, which Tesla does not currently provide, and I have not considered that angle before.
Go Inside the New Tesla Semi: Features, Screens, Seats, and More
Oh that's right.... where will they put the CB Antenna? (I used to install these, lol)
Kidding aside, what software is Tesla missing in the Semi?

Reactions: unk45
Oh that's right.... where will they put the CB Antenna? (I used to install these, lol)
Kidding aside, what software is Tesla missing in the Semi?

"Notably absent, though, is a dedicated software suite for Frito-Lay drivers, such as what Rivian offers for Amazon drivers in its EDV Prime van, and BrightDrop offers on the Zevo 600 for FedEx drivers. Instead, the drivers use the Tesla app on their phones as a key and rely on a PepsiCo-supplied portable tablet kept in the storage cubby on the cabin's right side..."