Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Be aware that while Tesla Superchargers are great for Tesla vehicles, they aren't great for many others. The Magic Dock seems limited to 150 kW, and those that have 800V architectures are often capped at 50kW or 100 kW when charging at 400V Superchargers.

Those are all much better than an EA charger with an out of order sign

GigaMexico will be 2x the size of GigaTexas, ground breaking in 3 months.

Thats just the size of the land - not the actual factory building.

Site is 2x larger but I haven't seen anything that says the actual building is 2x. So could be but let's not jump to conclusions just yet without confirmation.

"MEXICO CITY, March 2 (Reuters) - Tesla Inc's (TSLA.O) planned factory in Mexico's northern border state of Nuevo Leon will be built on a site spanning several thousand acres, almost twice the size of its factory site in Texas, with construction slated to start in three months, a Mexican official said on Thursday.

Site is 2x larger but I haven't seen anything that says the actual building is 2x. So could be but let's not jump to conclusions just yet without confirmation.

"MEXICO CITY, March 2 (Reuters) - Tesla Inc's (TSLA.O) planned factory in Mexico's northern border state of Nuevo Leon will be built on a site spanning several thousand acres, almost twice the size of its factory site in Texas, with construction slated to start in three months, a Mexican official said on Thursday.
True however there are some crazy details.

"Tesla will initially spend about $5 billion and hire some 5,000 people, but will ultimately pour a total of $10 billion into the project with up to 10,000 workers, Nava added."

This part is crazy because the initial spend for giga Texas was 1.06 billion. So something crazy is going down. Even with inflation I can't imagine building a gigafactory in Mexico being very costly.

Or to put it the most simple way. Let's say you want an old fashioned gas generator.

say, this one:

You can see on the side of it you basically can plug something into it, you can see someone plugging in an RV to it.

That is a long, long way from using it to run your house during a power outage.

The poster upthread who mentioned not to confuse the size of the swimming pool (capacity) with the size of the hose (output) is right on.

Its true that the capacity of these EV batteries exceeds that of powerwalls for many installations.

The F150L and the Cybertruck will be fantastic for charging electric power tools on jobsites.

Using an EV as back up power to a whole house is complicated because the electrical system of a house is not set up to just accept another source of electricity (other than the grid). You can see the posters who have solar and PW systems posting on this.

We are not being negative, but there is a reason that this is not a use case which is easy to adopt. I just don't anticipate a large market for EVs as whole house back up options.
But it does not need to be that complicated either, yes one would need a gateway (transfer switch). And they are not cheap and run about $2000 for the hardware and another $2000 to install. But that is neede for ANY off grid set up. A Ford Lightning could then act similar to at least 4 Tesla PowerWalls for those wanting occasional backup that is likely a better option than say $10000 for a generator. Or the cost of 4 PowerWalls.

Last edited:
Reactions: JRP3
It is, but they said in a way almost nobody noticed

I don't remember the exact wording, but is was something along "And we can build it on any of our factories"

I think there is a chance some vehicle on the new platform out of one of the current factories before Mexico
Yes, the way I understood it is the 3 Gen car is almost done and will be built at one of the present plants first, especially since Gen 3 production lines are small. Gen 3 will not be waiting for Mexico to be built. Especially since its output is not heading to American anyway. If you have been to the Austin factory one would know there are still large areas not being used yet.

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Investor Day and the reactions of Wall Street are once again proof to me that Wall Street cannot handle Tesla.
Wall Street's big problem is that they want to hear hard numbers and data.
Only then can they later say: "goal achieved" or "too late" or (fill in for yourself).
Wallstreet cannot handle the fact that Tesla works differently and, with the exception of quarterly/annual numbers, totally does not care about what Wallstreet wants.

Now we know that Tesla will soon build a huge factory in Monterrey, while the car they will produce there is very likely not yet fully developed.
So Tesla is really not going to pass on hard data, but is sticking to its own agenda: "as soon as possible".
And you can count on the pressure being fully on.
Tesla tries every time to make all puzzle pieces fit together as well as possible.
I predict that when the first cars are delivered from Mexico, everyone will be amazed at what Tesla has managed to do.

True however there are some crazy details.

"Tesla will initially spend about $5 billion and hire some 5,000 people, but will ultimately pour a total of $10 billion into the project with up to 10,000 workers, Nava added."

This part is crazy because the initial spend for giga Texas was 1.06 billion. So something crazy is going down. Even with inflation I can't imagine building a gigafactory in Mexico being very costly.
I'm guessing battery and heat pump production as well.. but that's a lot more space and money. Bodes well for the future

TSLA price goes down for a few days and then goes down some more and then suddenly shoots up for a couple days and then goes down again
the unlucky, the uninitiated, the impatient, the naive and the shorts think world is ending and surely TSLA is done for good
this cycle of volatility repeats endlessly, over weeks, months, quarters, years
many who can not handle this roller coaster get off
those who stay become wealthy beyond most individual's wildest imaginations
that's all there is to it
simplest explanation i can think of
as Warren B states stock market is a mechanism for transferring money from the impatient to the patient

BTW, i 100% believe TSLA will create more fabulous wealth over next few decades than BRK.A ever did
time will tell but i am not one to bet against management team at TSLA
tesla investor day is a free lesson to all corporate CEOs and managers in how to build a world class company

Sorry if this was already posted, I am still 10 pages back trying to catch up.
Farzhad had a great youtube video of last night's presentation and had Sandy Munro. if you haven't watched the whole thing. Let's just say Sandy had a few drinks in him and was swearing like a sailor and made me almost pee my pants he was so funny. He was asked if he owned TSLA and he said he isn’t allowed to buy or recommend any stock, however, his "agent called him and said"... paraphrasing... you better buy some TSLA... he said, fine do it to the agent. He justified it by saying it wasn't his idea, but his agents which made it okay. Later he said TSLA will be $1000 in the next 2 years... Cory was onstage with him and had to tell him multiple times not to answer questions and cut him off a few times after Sandy started answering something they obviously weren't supposed to talk about. It runs 90 minutes and I highly recommend watching it. They pointed out 2 things they have never seen before during the factory tour that blew their minds and have never seen on any Tesla teardown. They said they were huge changes and were almost speechless. He also called Elon a genius multiple times and he is the "Einstein of our time"
Watch the video if you haven't. I am certain someone already put a link, just in case:

Sandy starts at 4:43 mark

Thanks for reposting. I actually ended up listening to a super cut of just Sandy (and some Cory) which was entertaining. Sandy said Tesla is going to end up being a tier 2 supplier of 48V electronics to the automotive industry. Ie. Since no one else is making 48V automotive parts, and Tesla will make all of them in house, Tesla will then sell those parts to the other auto makers.

I honestly had no expectations, other than a strong desire that Investors Day wouldn't tank the investment too badly the next day. Wishful thinking, I suppose.
Tank the investment? We’ve seen Tesla drop 5-10% just because some intern in finance sneezed. The investment didn’t tank. You just saw the effect of worthless stock speculators who didn’t see a quick buck move on.

Why isn't next gen being built in China?

Also, I think the report that next gen is not for North America is wrong.

What I remember is that Gen 3 'from Monterrey' is not for North America, other than Mexico, and is for establishing new markets in Central and South America.

What wasn't said is whether Gen 3 might already have a production line being built at Austin HQ to serve North America, or, whether there might be another Gen 3 facility in the works to be built on land at Giga Texas.

Considering the halved space requirement for the Gen 3 factory footprint, it would seem easy enough to put it in the existing building at Giga Texas and the new stamping area under construction could very well be for supporting Gen 3 as well.

This would be the sort of a rabbit out of the hat that Tesla can sometimes pull off if Gen 3 cars started coming off the line in Austin before anywhere else.

Tank the investment? We’ve seen Tesla drop 5-10% just because some intern in finance sneezed. The investment didn’t tank. You just saw the effect of worthless stock speculators who didn’t see a quick buck move on.
You're right that it's just a blip on the radar. Still, I wish speculators and investors alike had been more inspired with confidence by what they saw in the presentation. I'm already over it- so long as TSLA doesn't drop another 6% tomorrow.