Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I console myself with KNOWING that by 2035 the option to buy ICE will almost entirely have been eliminated years previously by market force.
Gotta love Capitalism, when it's working for the better good.

I agree. Let's not forget that this EV revolution likely would not have happened, or would have happened much later, without government intervention. Unchecked capitalism has a way to destroy itself, sometimes astonishingly quickly.

The German and Italian governments are fighting a lost battle. They may succeed in adding an addendum to the ban, leaving an opening for the sale after 2035 of cars which run on synthetic fuel (not gas or diesel). But many German and French car manufacturers have already reiterated their decisions to phase out combustion engines by 2030 or 2035. More important: it takes 6-7 times more electricity to produce the synthetic fuel needed to travel the same distance as an electric car, making synthetic fuel not only very environmentally unfriendly but also very expensive. So even if the sale is still allowed, no one will buy this fuel nor the cars which are able to use it.
I don't see people who ride horses complaining that it costs more per mile to ride a horse than it does to drive a car. Not everything is driven by economics and minimizing costs.

Correct. What about SDIC ($500K equivalent limit in shares).

I assume you mean SIPC?

This page might be useful for you:

tl;dr is per FINRA "In virtually all cases, when a brokerage firm ceases to operate, customer assets are safe and typically are transferred in an orderly fashion to another registered brokerage firm"

Plus there's added layers of protection beyond that including brokers being required to keep customer assets segregated from their own... but if ALL that somehow ALL fails then yeah SIPC would cover you for 500k in securities per customer. Note a roth IRA and a traditional one would be treated as seperate so you'd have 500k coverage on each.

I don't see people who ride horses complaining that it costs more per mile to ride a horse than it does to drive a car. Not everything is driven by economics and minimizing costs.
Human to horse ratio in 1900 was 3-1.
Now it's almost 50-1. ;)

I believe classic gas vehicles will remain for a very long time, but a horse is a very different conveyance than a car. An EV isn't all that different from a gas car.

Agreed. And yet, neither the citizens of London nor New York have been complaining about horse manure in the streets lately. ICE will go the same way. The last model year of Porsche 911 will become collector's items and a few enthusiasts will keep them running for another 50 years. The impact to the carbon budget will be negligible. What matters are the millions of buyers for whom transportation is a means to an end.

Edit: Ninja'd by @Nocturnal

Agreed. And yet, neither the citizens of London nor New York have been complaining about horse manure in the streets lately. ICE will go the same way. The last model year of Porsche 911 will become collector's items and a few enthusiasts will keep them running for another 50 years. The impact to the carbon budget will be negligible. What matters are the millions of buyers for whom transportation is a means to an end.

What sucks is that we can't eat an ICE car. I'd be easier to handle this transition.

I assume you mean SIPC?

This page might be useful for you:

tl;dr is per FINRA "In virtually all cases, when a brokerage firm ceases to operate, customer assets are safe and typically are transferred in an orderly fashion to another registered brokerage firm"

Plus there's added layers of protection beyond that including brokers being required to keep customer assets segregated from their own... but if ALL that somehow ALL fails then yeah SIPC would cover you for 500k in securities per customer. Note a roth IRA and a traditional one would be treated as seperate so you'd have 500k coverage on each.
Yes, that's what I meant SIPC. We checked and TD is insured.

typically are transferred in an orderly fashion to another registered brokerage firm

Assuming there's a buyer?

I can't believe I'm questioning whether or not TD Ameritrade will keep my IRA shares in tact should they (TD) collapse. Some have indicated they "should" be fine, but can they sell them in a BK liquidation situation? And would the remaining be only backed by FDIC at $250K?
That would be an important thing to figure out also for regular broker account. How at risk are they ?

The antitrust class action was filed Tuesday in San Francisco federal court on behalf of Virginia M. Lambrix, who lives in Sonoma County and owns a Tesla Model S. She says owners of traditional combustion-engine cars have multiple options for maintenance and repairs, or do the work themselves. Those repairs can rely on parts from the original manufacturer; or parts made by other companies, according to the complaint.

Assuming there's a buyer?

For normal retail brokerages accounts? I can't imagine there wouldn't be. Most of them already offer cash bonuses just for moving your account over to them.... in an emergency auction they'd likely be able to aquire a huge number of such accounts for a much LOWER cost than they are normally happy to pay to get them one at a time.

FWIW most of the "ICE bans" have exceptions where small makers can still keep making new ICE vehicles with no end date...usually things like max 1000 a year, so niche race/collectable stuff will still be made and sold new for the foreseeable future- just not bulk production.

Reactions: JusRelax

The only silver lining to this shitcloud is that the bill grandfather's Tesla's existing location. ONE location in all of the state of MS from which Tesla can sell and service cars.

There are times that I wonder if we as a species need to cease to exist. This is one of those times.

TLDR: “according to new registration data from Experian, Tesla topped the U.S. luxury vehicle market, taking the top spot from BMW.”

“Tesla sold 17,526 Model 3s and 28,833 Model Ys, showing that the slightly larger crossover remains the more popular body style in the United States.

Both Tesla models demolished their BMW counterpart, the BMW i4, which sold only 1,650 units, and was the 10th most popular EV during the same timeframe.”

The only silver lining to this shitcloud is that the bill grandfather's Tesla's existing location. ONE location in all of the state of MS from which Tesla can sell and service cars.

There are times that I wonder if we as a species need to cease to exist. This is one of those times.
So it's not just Los Angeles that has a certain kind of 'special stupid' :)

For normal retail brokerages accounts? I can't imagine there wouldn't be. Most of them already offer cash bonuses just for moving your account over to them.... in an emergency auction they'd likely be able to aquire a huge number of such accounts for a much LOWER cost than they are normally happy to pay to get them one at a time.
If TD needs to liquidate it's assets, wouldn't they prevent me from transferring my acct bc the broker is under liquidation?

So it's not just Los Angeles that has a certain kind of 'special stupid' :)

Apparently not.

Looking through reservation maps, there are some Choctaw reservations in MS. Perhaps Tesla is already looking to partner with them on a build out of service and sales centers.

Indian Lands (have to zoom in, direct map link not available)

If TD needs to liquidate it's assets, wouldn't they prevent me from transferring my acct bc the broker is under liquidation?

Assuming they're following the law, your account isn't among TDs assets.

Another relevant link that speaks to your question:

the short version- "Typically, when a brokerage firm fails, the Securities Investor Protection Corporation (SIPC) arranges the transfer of the failed brokerage's accounts to a different securities brokerage firm."

SIPC coverage for loss only kicks in if they can't for some reason (say the broker was doing a ton of fraud and just ignored account segreation laws and stole everything instead of just being a failing business)

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Helpful
Reactions: JusRelax
SIPC coverage for loss only kicks in if they can't for some reason (say the broker was doing a ton of fraud and just ignored account segreation laws and stole everything instead of just being a failing business)

Sounds like NKLA and Milton :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Did the buyer wandered into a luxury brand and expect to pay jiffy lube to fix everything that's wrong with the car? If you want a car that can be fixed by everyone, get a honda civic. I had to travel around just to find a mechanic willing to swap out our Volkswagen's battery due to the computer system will reset which breaks the car.

Yes, most mechanics wouldn't touch a Tesla, many barely wants to change a Tesla's tire, let alone fixing the thing. As for "overpaying for repairs", every luxury dealership is like "hold my beer". Ferrari is like "hold my keg". Ferrari purposely designed their cars just to gouge their customers during schedule maintenance. Yes of course it takes 4 mechanics 20 hours taking the car apart to change the oil that cost 7000 dollars.....while other companies you can suck the oil out of a tube in 5 mins.