Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Man if I had any Nvidia I would be cashing out so quickly lol. AI has quickly turned into a bubble when it comes to their valuation verse the reality of the numbers they’re putting up currently in earnings and what they’re guiding by themselves for this year
Hardly a bubble. AI? $$$$$ right around the corner IMO. It's the new server market.

In my opinion Tesla is not maximizing profits but maximizing the number of electric vehicles being put on the road. Since they operate in a capitalist system they use the means of capitalism (profits) to achieve that goal.
In practice, they are doing both. They are maximizing both production of vehicles and the profit per vehicle. I don't believe for one second that Tesla ever lowers prices due to altruism. Tesla is not a charity.

• It is not realistic to think that Tesla will be the only car company, so the industry average margin is likely to become positive.
I don’t follow this logic at all.

Companies failing due to technological advantage is the natural course of progress. Nokia and Kodak are only the more modern and obvious examples. Similarly, monopolies due to technology happen.

Personally, I find it far more likely that many of the existing auto companies will fail. They are all heavily debt laden and have massive amounts of sunk capital in equipment, processes and facilities which are poorly designed for the next 100 years of manufacturing. Maybe some survive and flatline at a small gross margin propped up by sales into niches Tesla doesn’t pursue.

If FSD/ Robotaxi happens, this outcome is almost certain.

Man if I had any Nvidia I would be cashing out so quickly lol. AI has quickly turned into a bubble when it comes to their valuation verse the reality of the numbers they’re putting up currently in earnings and what they’re guiding by themselves for this year
But in the mean time there’s good money to be made selling GPU’s (not the cheap ones, the very expensive ones) to anybody who thinks they can ride the current AI wave. Conveniently just after GPU use for crypto collapsed.

Ok, I’m prepared to get blasted. Ford is building a plant outside Mason, Tn to build electric vehicles. It is larger than Gigatexas. Ground up designed for electric vehicle production. Tennessee labor(no unions). I think Ford gets it.

I hope it works out.

Factories have been built by Rivian and Lucid as well. Again, they need to scale up and make money. Batteries is another issue all together, so is software and charging. Even endless money pits have their limit.

Really? With ChatGPT hitting the world like a ton of bricks? I think Nvidia has got a good year upcoming. But maybe we should continue this in the What Other Tech Stocks thread.
Don’t get me wrong. AI will be great for Nvidia’s business. But a bunch of that impact of AI on their business has now been priced. Much better opportunities out there for risk reward

I don't know if "price war" is negative or positive. My point was that Tesla is not at war with anyone. They are just balancing supply and demand.

And also, Tesla has the ability to price their cars more effectively than anyone else. Is "price efficiency" a good term for it? Maybe there is a real business or economics term for this. Not my area of expertise.
News mechanisms that receive their revenue based off of views, use "drama" to increase views. The word "war" is nectar for these folks. The term "Tesla price war" is ratings gold. We're never going to be able to wash our hands of it :(

In my opinion Tesla is not maximizing profits but maximizing the number of electric vehicles being put on the road. Since they operate in a capitalist system they use the means of capitalism (profits) to achieve that goal.
Would it not be better to speak of 'optimizing' rather than 'maximizing'? There are a number of crucial variables. Profit and volume are only two.

Don’t get me wrong. AI will be great for Nvidia’s business. But a bunch of that impact of AI on their business has now been priced. Much better opportunities out there for risk reward
You could be right. OTOH, incumbents in industries have a way of making sure they stay dominant for a while. Nvidia will be acquiring interesting AI companies with their inflated stock price. And they just announced a new AI cloud service. Nvidia was very very smart getting into the AI space early.

If this were any other company, the day that a major competitor came out and admitted that they were losing a crap ton of money on their competing products at at best would take years to make a profit, that company's stock would be up 20%. :mad:
It seems to me that TSLA is controlled by options, gamblers, and market makers. It's actually a reason I've considered if I should sell and move on from TSLA. I'm fully confident Tesla will continue to grow, change the world for the better, and become an even more amazing company. But I have no confidence the stock market will ever reflect that reality. TSLA is its own entity that is churned back and forth to make short term money for some, with no care given to actual value of the company.

I realize I'm being cynical and this isn't 100% that simple. I've kept my shares because I do still think they're a good investment, but my confidence in the stock market reflecting that is at an all time low. Of course, in the past, TSLA has behaved like the coiled spring and it may do so again, but there is no guarantee of that.

I do wonder how stock markets would look if options did not exist.

To me, the exact numbers are not as useful as knowing the overall trend. Is this quarter going to be better, same, or worse than last quarter (or expectations). I think there would be value in a "forecast" that aggregates data from various sources and had a scale such as
blue : much worse than expected
light blue : worse than expected
white : same as expected
orange : better than expected
red : much better than expected

This way no one nit picks whether you are off by a percent here or there as long as you got the general trend correct.

YMMV

Talking about Ford. They just introduced the New All Electric Ford Explorer...🙄

Just barely getting serious about the Mach E production efficiently and already spreading their resources even thinner by making another EV in the same segment.

This is one of the downfalls of legacy OEM. Never committing to one model per segment and therefore never reaching the learning curve in time.
1679592359457.png

Cadillac and many others keep repeating the same mistake. Look at Cadillac XTS built on Chevy Impala vs the Cadillac CT6 which were totally different cars of the exact same size. Both marketed as full size luxury. Splitting the engineering and manufacturing between two different cars for the same segment guaranteed none of them could become a serious global player on the full size luxury scene.

I would expect a good chunk of the other 3/Y domestic demand will lose $3,750 of the credit as well for the critical mineral sourcing, we need more sources from North America (hello Quebec) and countries with free trade agreements (hello Australia) but how much domestic demand can be satisfied by these sources is the $3,750 question.

After this year vehicles will be disqualified from the credit entirely if they contain any battery components from China. After next year vehicles will be disqualified from the credit entirely if they contain any critical minerals from China/Russia/North Korea/Iran -- China and North Korea together currently control something silly like 95% of global battery-grade graphite production.

Need more sources from friendly countries or new tech to offset this.
Wouldn't be surprised if the law is revised or revision pushed out to favor others. We're moving from darn-that-Tesla, to SOS from legacy collapse. Don't they need this credit more?

Just barely getting serious about the Mach E production efficiently and already spreading their resources even thinner by making another EV in the same segment.

This is one of the downfalls of legacy OEM. Never committing to one model per segment and therefore never reaching the learning curve in time. View attachment 920579

Cadillac and many others keep repeating the same mistake. Look at Cadillac XTS built on Chevy Impala vs the Cadillac CT6 which were totally different cars of the exact same size. Both marketed as full size luxury. Splitting the engineering and manufacturing between two different cars for the same segment guaranteed none of them could become a serious global player on the full size luxury scene.

These cars were NEVER meant to be competitive. They exist so GM can shout look at us we do EV's. GM is a marketing / brand company not an engineering powerhouse.

They may change in the future. /s

Following this survey, Musk recent antics has made Republicans more likely to buy Tesla, Democrats less likely.
Result is a small net negative.

I would absolutely say Tesla started a price war….but it was a price war that we here saw coming and one that everyone else including legacy auto should have seen coming. Tesla was ramping up 2 new factories, expanding the other 2. Growth on this level of scale in a 1-2 year span timeframe is unheard of. What will also be unheard of is the efficiency and operating margins Tesla will achieve with such scale and scale of growth.

I guess some people were convinced that Tesla was just going to pocket all the additional profits/margins but the reality was always that when you double your production from 2022 levels in 1.5 years by mid 2024, ASP has to come down materially to open up the TAM.

So yes Tesla started a price war but it’s price war of efficiency and scale. I don’t think Tesla means to intentionally put a bunch of auto makers out of business. But to Tesla, they’re essentially telling all other auto makers “Either keep up with us or fall behind and be left for dead”
Don't forget the IRS had some shady qualifications for keeping the Model Y outside of $7,500 EV Tax break, so coincidentally Tesla dropped their prices in January to qualify - Game Set and Match.

Following this survey, Musk recent antics has made Republicans more likely to buy Tesla, Democrats less likely.
Result is a small net negative.
This part is important:

“Perhaps the brightest spot in the data for him is that among high-income Americans — defined as those who make more than $100,000 a year — slightly more say Musk has made them more likely to consider a Tesla than less likely.”

I’d say Tesla has more competition on the high end vs low end. So if Tesla can reel in the high end buyers this way and then get the lower end buyers simply by cost crushing measures, that’s a pretty good spot for Tesla to be in.

As we saw earlier this year with the Model Y price drops, a lot of people’s “principles” could be bought for about 15-20k.