Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll try to be gentle when I whack skulls with my 4x4 beam: This is not the FSD thread, as the still-active Moderators have told you 4x4x4x4 times.
Besides, my purchase of an FSD-ready Model X DID promise me it was complete, and just awaiting regulatory approval. As did all others sold in the 2016-17 era. But take it to the other threads.

I'm pretty much otherwise engaged right now, however

A quarter century ago I thought the dot com boom n bust taught everyone the #1 lesson : If you have first mover advantage, then you only get to keep it by scaling outrageously fast, faster than everyone else; and #2 whilst you are climbing the growth ladder, be sure to kick the rungs out from beneath you.

Musk knows this playbook.

A quarter century ago I thought the dot com boom n bust taught everyone the #1 lesson : If you have first mover advantage, then you only get to keep it by scaling outrageously fast, faster than everyone else; and #2 whilst you are climbing the growth ladder, be sure to kick the rungs out from beneath you.

I agree with the general principle, but what company's success or failure is an example of this?

Reactions: navguy12
Tesla is advertising. Maybe you didn't notice Elon's media blitz, but it's not just a coincidence that he's out doing all these interviews. Does anyone think Elon wants to be out talking to these people right now?
That is not advertising. It is promotion. Check out the 5 P’s of Marketing.

Did my part for next quarter.

Screenshot 2023-04-19 2.16.41 PM.png

Pretty good thing to keep in mind about these price cuts…

Actually 8 quarters ago Tesla's wait time was 1-2 weeks. A lack of production from other car manufactures due to chip shortage pushed the entire industry's wait time up, then the energy crisis in 2022 put demand on overdrive.

These tailwind delayed the cybertruck, which was suppose to be in production instead of the Y from their initial plan. The 3/Y outperformed Tesla's internal projection by a long shot.

Does kicking out the rungs below you help the mission? Competitors are making EVs too, finally.

I didn't have to "budget" for my cars drop in value....I bought the car and am driving it, and will continue to drive it for many years. Nothing has changed.
👍

Unless buying classics at auction for the art preservation aspect, cars for most people are more like tools than an investment.

It is very seldom that a mass market car will be an "investment quality" purchase when new. Generally, it will take decades to reach that status.

Zach on the earnings call said the cost of lithium in a Tesla is around 500 dollars worth per car . So even if lithium goes to zero, the -3k price cut wouldn't cover it.

Musk on his twitter space with whole Mars did say he rather maximize volume than maximize profit. In his mind profit will come after sales due to fsd. But affordability of the actual car takes priority.

For sure, Musk has repeatedly said he will choose volume growth over margins every time. Can’t grow 50% a year and expect stable margins, especially in tough macro environment. For all of Zachs carefully worded statements on earnings calls - Elon is still going to Elon.