Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I only got a smartphone a few years ago.

cringe-old-man.gif

I hope I did not imply word of mouth did not happen for Starlink. Zero question about it, where WOM exists there is nothing better...
No, you didn't imply that. Rather, I was (hopefully gently) disagreeing with "Starlink is largely unknown outside technically oriented audiences." That may be the case in most of New Zealand and an ad may appeal to those who are casually in the market for backup connectivity if nothing else.

But in some other parts of the world, Starlink is well known by average people and that's due to intense need/desire and word of mouth. For instance, you don't need to advertise Starlink in middle America. Instead, you have to beat customers away with a stick.

Regardless, we can probably agree that Starlink is a special case. There are very few businesses that have more or less evenly distributed capacity over the entire globe.

• Helpful
Reactions: unk45 and capster
It appears to be a battery subsidy like the IRA, Volkswagen does not have to pay that back.

"Per battery investment with PowerCo SE ranges between $8 billion and $13.2 billion, depending on production levels. This is a part of an overall electric vehicle battery investment partnership by Canada and Ontario. Projections show that the full economic impact of the project will be equal to the value of government investment in less than five years."

Official source: Volkswagen’s new electric vehicle battery plant will create thousands of new jobs

It's a 90 GWh/year capacity with 3000 jobs, and Volkswagen is investing $7 billion in that facility or about twice the amount Tesla is investing in Nevada on the 4680 line for a similar capacity (100GWh versus 90GWh for Volkswagen) and workforce (3000 jobs) but also including the Semi production facility.
Maybe the five-year payback comment from the Industry Minister is regarding the $700m specifically or in tax collected through revenue on battery/vehicle sales or something along those lines

The contract Canada has inked will include both an initial capital investment of $700 million and then up to $13 billion in ongoing production subsidies, comparable to what Volkswagen would receive had it taken its business to the U.S.

"The payback is five years. That's a very good investment. Talk to any banker, he would say 'if you get your money in five years, for a plan that's going to be there for 100 years, that's a pretty good deal for Canadians,'" Champagne said, going on to call it a "generational opportunity" and a "game changer."

Source: Industry minister defends Canada's $13B Volkswagen battery plant subsidy plans

Aahhh I see yeah your quote there says it's equivalent to paying back the investment in less than five years.

• Informative
Reactions: navguy12 and Etna
Last edited:
I did. I emailed her at [email protected] .

Such ignorance is an argument for educational advertising by Tesla.
Mariel Garza's opinion is based on her car, a 2020 Kia Niro with 230 miles range in ideal conditions. I agree that all BEVs except for Tesla using proprietary Tesla Superchargers are left wanting for long distance travelling. Tesla's decision to provide EV charging is a true masterstroke of genius.

Screen Shot 2023-04-23 at 5.03.06 PM.png

For now the top models in Germany appear to be
  • Volkswagen Golf
  • Tesla Model Y
  • Volkswagen T-Toc
  • Volkswagen Tiguan
So I have some time to wait still for Model Y to take that top spot. I keep thinking it'll be the next reported month. Will it be April or May or June?

Had you made this prediction five years ago you would have been put in a straitjacket and wheeled off to the asylum. Think about it: a young American EV brand vying for top spot against German cars, in Germany!

Elon predicted the German success many years ago, although he thought it would be with Model S.

Building a gigafactory in Germany was a brilliant move.

If $TSLA was at $400 today, i suspect the Elon bashing would be Elon praising. Added a few to my ignore list after catching up on this thread.

The longer the base......
Counterpoint. I couldn't give two shits about what the stock price is today or tomorrow. Stock price often doesn't represent the actual company current and future worth, there's a very big speculation component as well.
Please explain how the current elon and twitter fiasco is a net gain for the future of the company. We're about to see if the theory of "all publicity is good publicity" is true or not.

Just did a a 4400 mile road trip to starbase from Fremont. I have no real words to describe the joy this man (Elon) has brought to my life. Haters be damned.

I wish I had the time to expound on how SpaceX Tesla and Elon made a weeklong father/son road-trip so enjoyable. But; they say a picture is worth a thousand words. Here’s 3000 words real quick.

Can confirm. The future is bright.
054A3E5D-F5D1-417D-998C-73C98F078F8D.jpeg
B3FDA300-8B77-4E9E-B109-16BA835A4B96.jpeg
8443AEA3-B03E-42EA-B82B-E643C43A3C69.jpeg

Musk is very likely past peak. Historically the decline always happens with these guys. ...
I see many expert opinions on Elon this weekend.

"these guys"? - do you refer to "these" as 'wink, wink' guys or which guys exactly?

So, historically, Maria Curie-Sklodowska, Einstein, Ulam, Fermi and others have suffered some sort of decline? Which decline is it? Can't be sexual as Elon is on like 10 kids and counting.

What does your research say? Please include all of the mentioned above as I'd love to update my notes.

One problem with leaving the product lineup relatively unchanged over the years is that there is no compelling reason for existing owners to upgrade to a new car. Today‘s Model Y is basically the same as my 2020 one. Refreshed style and/or more range every few years might get more people to upgrade or attract new buyers.
My pre-amble to everyone I give “the nickel tour” of my May 2018 TM3 LR RWD (the latest being the one I gave to the B&B owner whilst on a mini holiday last week):

”This is an early build TM3. It has antique batteries, antique battery chemistry and an antique heating system compared to the current versions. Plus, it only has one motor. Tesla is able to keep everything fresh with constant software updates”.

And so on…

I also tell everyone I shall be holding onto this car for at least 10 years because I’m totally happy with it; it’s the first time in my life that I am happier with a commodity five years after purchase versus the day I took possession of it.

Someone want to break it to her she bought the wrong EV?
I just did.

Mark R​

3:49 PM (6 minutes ago)

to mariel.garza

I just read your opinion piece detailing your frustration with your Kia Niro. I disagree with you on just about everything you wrote except one thing. You SHOULD get rid of that car... and buy a Tesla!

Where do I start? First, as a journalist, you have failed to be honest with your readers. While your experience may be true for you, the real truth is that 99% of what you're complaining about would go AWAY if you'd bought a Tesla.

You complain about a scarcity of chargers. Valid point... except for Tesla. There are over 25,000 Tesla Super Chargers worldwide... and they work! I just completed a 5,300 mile round trip from LA to Atlanta and every single Tesla charger along the way just worked. You mention that many chargers are not reliable. That's true... except for Tesla. Research this. There's plenty of You Tube videos out there documenting the reliability of the Tesla supercharging network. (Especially in freezing temperatures) You complain about "not enough range"? My Tesla Model S 100D has a 300+ mile range. That's enough range for a road trip or a week's worth of errands around town. I could go on and on, but I think you get my point.

You're entitled to your opinion, but by totally excluding the facts about Tesla, you have done a disservice to your readers. Your "truthiness" is so blatant, I have to ask, "What's your motivation?" . Why did you construct such a myopic hit piece on the viability of EV's? You seem to want government to take on the responsibility of making EVs convenient, yet you totally ignore the fact that TESLA has already DONE most everything you're asking for. Does the LA Times have an editorial policy that only negative Tesla stories are to be published? Sure seems like it. I thought you were better than that!

Please write an "updated" opinion piece acknowledging that while the future of EV ownership may present some challenges to early adopters, there are now millions of Tesla owners happily driving everywhere oil free!

Thank you.

Mark

PS: I've owned a Tesla since 2012. Now THAT's an early adopter!