Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What manipulation? Do you mean people selling their shares because Tesla's prospects look worse? There has been some pretty bad news lately:

- Odds of DOJO working going down by the way Elon described the project in the Q1 call.
- BYD saying full autonomy won't work and that they're giving up on it.
- Demand falling far short of supply - large price drops not working as well as hoped.
- Earnings cratering.
- Energy going from bigger than auto with 50% margins to bigger that auto batteries with margins at 20%. That's like a 85% drop in 2030 profitability.
- No update on Bot during the Q1 call.
- Elon getting deeper and deeper into Twitter.

I thought that the news flow was great in the first quarter with FSD progress, Mexico, Reno, Energy, Lithium refining etc. But, the news has been pretty dreary more recently.
I really wish we could choose "meh" as a response to a post...

If Tesla opens Giga SK, then it's truly game over for Japanese automakers.

SK will have massive Kia, Hyundai and Tesla exports. China will have Tesla, BYD and others.

Japan has Toyota BZ4X.

Wonder if Tesla can use the “unboxed” next gen vehicle design, which uses far less factory footprint per installied unit capacity, to create miniGigafactories in significantly sized vehicle markets (like South Korea, Japan & UK) to start localized production in those markets of the next gen vehicle with less risky initial capital outlay and easier site selection.

Wonder if Tesla can use the “unboxed” next gen vehicle design, which uses far less factory footprint per installied unit capacity, to create miniGigafactories in significantly sized vehicle markets (like South Korea, Japan & UK) to start localized production in those markets of the next gen vehicle with less risky initial capital outlay and easier site selection.
The limitation might be stamping and casting..

Assuming that in a Gen3 factory paint could be scaled down to a lower capex version, or omitted, it may be possible via the importation of stampings and castings.

Then they need to line up supply chains for all of the parts, which is possible in Korea, Japan and the UK.

In the case of Korea and Japan, castings could be made in one country and shipped to the other.

Smaller factories are much easier to do for energy storage batteries...

• Helpful
Reactions: Thekiwi
My wife and I just this this Miles O’Brien piece (Demand for electric vehicles growing, but can charging network keep up?) on the PBS NewsHour and I said, let’s see if they get this right. We’ll, we (she more than I) we’re disgusted with the reporting and no mention of Tesla at all. Here is the email I sent to Miles:

Hi Miles,

I’m sure this is one of many emails you will receive along these lines, but I am compelled to write. Let me state first I am a California native, daily PBS NewsHour watcher, and 14-month 14k miles Tesla Model Y owner. Your experience in the Rivian was factually reported, I’m sure, and I like the Rivian from what I’ve read and seen. But doing that report and raising your conclusions for your viewers was as irresponsible toward the mission of creating a sustainable planet and limiting the effects of climate change as reporting on “Joe’s Computer Office Suite” and saying spreadsheets and word processors are not ready for prime time (while ignoring Microsoft Office) or saying search isn’t good and never mentioning Google. For the record, Tesla sold 50x as many cars in 2022 as Rivian (1.3 million vs 25k).

I have made the drive you made several times in my Tesla, and never had an issue due to the extensive charging network. They have over 40,000 chargers globally and the interface in the car will show you where and when you need to stop to charge to make it to your destination. And it has never been a close call for me. I have also only encountered 2 non-working Tesla chargers, out of many at each station in over a year. And, most charging stops were 20 min or less, which you can do easily if there are many stations and you take a bio break every few hours. Think about the early days of gas cars, where people had to carry gas cans. We figured it out. Would you have wanted to be on the side of “l’ll stick with horses!”?

I don’t doubt your trip would have been very different in a Tesla, or at least if you had stopped at Tesla stations (they are starting to open the network to non-Teslas). Then, your story could have supported the transition to electric vehicles and away from our oil dependency and climate destroying technology. Unless that was not the intent, I see no reason to do a whole story on EVs and not mention the clear leader in creating the transition to a sustainable electric future.

Happy to let you test drive my car any time!

Best regards,

My wife and I just this this Miles O’Brien piece (Demand for electric vehicles growing, but can charging network keep up?) on the PBS NewsHour and I said, let’s see if they get this right. We’ll, we (she more than I) we’re disgusted with the reporting and no mention of Tesla at all. Here is the email I sent to Miles:

Hi Miles,

I’m sure this is one of many emails you will receive along these lines, but I am compelled to write. Let me state first I am a California native, daily PBS NewsHour watcher, and 14-month 14k miles Tesla Model Y owner. Your experience in the Rivian was factually reported, I’m sure, and I like the Rivian from what I’ve read and seen. But doing that report and raising your conclusions for your viewers was as irresponsible toward the mission of creating a sustainable planet and limiting the effects of climate change as reporting on “Joe’s Computer Office Suite” and saying spreadsheets and word processors are not ready for prime time (while ignoring Microsoft Office) or saying search isn’t good and never mentioning Google. For the record, Tesla sold 50x as many cars in 2022 as Rivian (1.3 million vs 25k).

I have made the drive you made several times in my Tesla, and never had an issue due to the extensive charging network. They have over 40,000 chargers globally and the interface in the car will show you where and when you need to stop to charge to make it to your destination. And it has never been a close call for me. I have also only encountered 2 non-working Tesla chargers, out of many at each station in over a year. And, most charging stops were 20 min or less, which you can do easily if there are many stations and you take a bio break every few hours. Think about the early days of gas cars, where people had to carry gas cans. We figured it out. Would you have wanted to be on the side of “l’ll stick with horses!”?

I don’t doubt your trip would have been very different in a Tesla, or at least if you had stopped at Tesla stations (they are starting to open the network to non-Teslas). Then, your story could have supported the transition to electric vehicles and away from our oil dependency and climate destroying technology. Unless that was not the intent, I see no reason to do a whole story on EVs and not mention the clear leader in creating the transition to a sustainable electric future.

Happy to let you test drive my car any time!

Best regards,
Nicely done.

You see people make the mistake is assuming these kind of reporting is due to sloppy or lazy work. No it is not. It is well researched and purposely done to deliver a biased message to the public.

It is not incompetence, it is malicious

Nicely done.

You see people make the mistake is assuming these kind of reporting is due to sloppy or lazy work. No it is not. It is well researched and purposely done to deliver a biased message to the public.

It is not incompetence, it is malicious
I assume incompetence given the source, but if it’s really malicious, then I have to give up all the Gell-Mann amnesia for all the othe PBS NewsHour reporting, and maybe all reportage!

Getting real tired of losing money on $TSLA. Losing nearly 25% per share over the last month really stings. Where is the bottom? I've paused my weekly auto-buy options for now. This really sucks.
You only lose if you sell....why in the world would you pause your weekly auto-buy options when you are getting shares at a discount?

NFA...JMHO.