Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, so who ordered the Schadenfreude?

View attachment 942418

1685474545173.gif

They just fixed the headline...4 pm​

Tesla's Model Y becomes world's first best-selling EV car​

Look this ridiculous Yahoo headline. They couldn't quite say the model y was the best selling car in the world, they had to say it was the best selling EV car which is total bull.

How can they get that so wrong unless it was on purpose or the person who wrote the article is a complete clueless idiot and should not be writing anything about EV's

They even continue in the article saying Tesla model y is the best selling EV car.

Last edited:
This came directly from wk057, I couldn't find the exact source again, I don't remember if it was a post here on TMC, a Tweet or a live on YouTube

The FSD computer does not command acceleration or torque, is sends the desired position and how it would like to get there and it's on the inverter that the calculation of the torque/speed profile happen

I'd be interested in seeing that from wk057, he generally has pretty insightful commentary on the setups. Perhaps indeed newer inverters can accept such, but if you say the FSD computer sends it's "desired position and how it would like to get there", that would imply the inverter has some knowledge of things like current location, car orientation, steering angles, etc... things I'd expect FSD to know rather than the inverter... and I doubt the inverter is being told about them real time.

I could see the inverter being given things like time/distance/acceleration maximums (i.e. g-force limits), and it then calculating the torque commands necessary to do that...

This is what in part makes it work across multiple vehicles, inverters, motors and so on

Yes, the inverters accepts, you can get a motor wk057 himself with a simple control box that you hook up the throttle, plug into a battery and it will work

What I'm getting at is having the FSD computer play with inverters/drive system for any other manufacturer

Reactions: kbM3

Tesla's Model Y becomes world's first best-selling EV car​

Look this ridiculous Yahoo headline. They couldn't quite say the model y was the best selling car in the world, they had to say it was the best selling EV car which is total bull.

How can they get that so wrong unless it was on purpose or the person who wrote the article is a complete clueless idiot and should not be writing anything about EV's

They even continue in the article saying Tesla model y is the best selling EV car.
Not to mention "electric vehicle car" is a really stupid thing to write.

I'd be interested in seeing that from wk057, he generally has pretty insightful commentary on the setups. Perhaps indeed newer inverters can accept such, but if you say the FSD computer sends it's "desired position and how it would like to get there", that would imply the inverter has some knowledge of things like current location, car orientation, steering angles, etc... things I'd expect FSD to know rather than the inverter... and I doubt the inverter is being told about them real time.

I could see the inverter being given things like time/distance/acceleration maximums (i.e. g-force limits), and it then calculating the torque commands necessary to do that...
I will try to dig a bit more to see if I can find it again

I'm sure there can be another way to be done, but I think it's interesting that Tesla went this way instead of the FSD computer commanding torque and speed, and with multiple cross check on the way

And also my main point is, is this easy to change? SHOULD it be changed? Probably a big reason to be done like that

Reactions: scaesare
Upper-BB (the red curve in chart below) should Open above the current $200 SP cap tomorrow morning. That may help loosen the cap... ;)

View attachment 942464

So, are you saying the traders are wearing their flashy new 'Got FOMO?' Thinking Caps too tight?

It wouldn't surprise me. Don't they realize how doing that will make their skulls numb?
(numbskulls, get it?)

Last edited:
How can they get that so wrong unless it was on purpose or the person who wrote the article is a complete clueless idiot and should not be writing anything about EV's .
Fixed that for you ;).
Yup, and thus a huge chunk of the world goes on thinking that EV's are a small niche and Tesla is a niche manufacturer selling small numbers .

A much more informative and still attention- and click-grabbing headline would be: "Tesla Model Y outsells Toyota Corolla, Toyota Camry, Ford F-Series for Q1 2023".

Some of the other articles I read indicated that the Corolla sales count includes international versions of that model, including versions sold under a different name, and including the sedan, hatchback, and wagon versions. Likewise, the Ford F-series includes various door-count and bed-length versions of F-150 up through Superduty F-250/350/350 versions I believe. By those metrics, seems fair to group the Model Y and Model 3 numbers together, which would show even more impressive numbers.

But of course, its hard to keep arguing that "the competition is coming" if you actually admit that Tesla is already outselling the gas models of those competitors, and Tesla is still ramping production too.

Doesn't deserve a second link. Should just be:

"The End of an ICE Age: Tesla takes the crown from Toyota, becoming the best selling car in the world."

It is quite ridiculous that in their eagerness to downplay anything Tesla, modern media is bungling the reporting one of the biggest paradigm shifts in modern times.

It is still being misleading in the text, saying that Tesla will suffer for this with lower margins. They don’t make any mention of how Tesla’s margins compare to Toyota or Ford or GM.
Also this eye roller:

“On the other hand, the Corolla has the advantage of being a truly global product, being available in almost every country in the world. This makes it less vulnerable to any geopolitical clashes between China and the United States, for example.”
US, China, Europe, Japan, Australia, Mexico, Canada... what is that, 80-90% of auto market for cars that cost more than $20k? Toyota can be king of mid-sized sedans in Madagascar and it wouldn't make a difference.

It is still being misleading in the text, saying that Tesla will suffer for this with lower margins. They don’t make any mention of how Tesla’s margins compare to Toyota or Ford or GM.

I'm looking forward to coping with more of Tesla's suffering margins as I guffaw all the way to my e-commerce service provider's phone app.*

* (we don't actually "laugh all the way to the bank" anymore, do we?)

Tesla doesn't advertise on Yahoo. They're still being paid to minimize the coming tidal wave. At least they made clear which model was the best selling model for 2023 Q1.

Sure, there are absolutely times when market makers are using ‘manipulative’ means to push the SP towards their desired target, especially as Friday approaches. But how can we make such claims on days like today, when TSLA is up over 4% while the Nasdaq is up just 0.3%? TSLA has been tracking the movements of the Nasdaq all day, so unless the market makers have the will and ability to move the whole market to get TSLA where they want it on a Tuesday, these claims just don’t make sense.

Also, who cares what happens to the SP on a certain day, unless you are a day trader? If you are a HODL’er it doesn’t matter. The stock will eventually find its correct price, which is what happened in 2019 and 2020 (thanks to huge growth in sales, revenue and especially profit), but also in 2022 and 2023 (due to Elon selling, rising interest rates and lower margins).

If Tesla continues growing fast, improves margins again and shows what energy, FSD and Optimus can bring, not a single market maker or short seller can stop the SP from moving sharply higher in the next few years. Any manipulation on a daily basis has zero influence. A small victory in pushing down the SP on one day will be compensated by a bigger rise on another day.

Sure, there are absolutely times when market makers are using ‘manipulative’ means to push the SP towards their desired target, especially as Friday approaches. But how can we make such claims on days like today, when TSLA is up over 4% while the Nasdaq is up just 0.3%?TSLA has been tracking the movements of the Nasdaq all day, so unless the market makers have the will and ability to move the whole market just to get TSLA where they want it on a Tuesday, these claims just don’t make sense.

Also, who cares what happens to the SP on a certain day, unless you are a day trader? If you are a HODL’er it doesn’t matter. The stock will eventually find its correct price, which is what happened in 2019 and 2020 (thanks to huge growth in sales, revenue and especially profit), but also in 2022 and 2023 (due to Elon selling, rising interest rates and lower margins).

If Tesla continues growing fast, improves margins again and shows what energy, FSD and Optimus can bring, not a single market maker or short seller can stop the SP from moving sharply higher in the next few years. Any manipulation on a daily basis has zero influence. A small victory in pushing down the SP on a certain day will be compensated by a bigger rise on another day.
This analysis applies to "Long Term investors" aka majority of TMC'ers. However, is the weekly 'max pain' really a coincidence, considering it happens a lot?