Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think Tesla is losing its moat I think they are trapping Ford and GM inside their Tesla moat.

Tesla isn't losing its moat it's trapping everybody else inside, understand this and you won't be tempted to sell your shares. Elon never fails to surprise.. what's next
Definitely leads one to think (well, ok, me anyway) of Rorschach (Watchmen) prison cafe scene, "I'm not locked in here with you, you're locked in with me!"

And no, not a clip I will link to.

Exactly. Additionally while Tesla just expanded one of their many moats, the competing charging networks in North America just lost their ONLY moat, which was CCS. As we have seen in the applications for public funding, non Tesla fast chargers cost 5x Tesla supercharger per stall. Tesla's cost advantage is most likely widening even more now as supercharger build out accelerates with F and GM customers added.
If Tesla can make money on their charging network, great. The economics generally suck.

On the other hand this makes it less likely that customers will buy a Tesla in the first place and more likely they'll buy from competitors.

But Tesla was in any case staring down the barrel of $3B of NEVI funding, and watching charging improve in areas covered and not covered by Tesla. Crossing fingers that the competition will fail isn't a great strategy. I've been watching CCS coverage improve significantly in our state over the past 12 months (I have a Kona) and we don't have any NEVI chargers yet. So, getting others on board and getting NACS to be a/the standard for North America is good way of ensuring they don't lose, and should also help with speed of overall market growth.

I hope that HyunKia is next. It would be a really good sign. HyunKia's approach to 400V charging with its new vehicles is to the use the vehicle's inverter so they should easily be able to use V3, and then should benefit from 800V in V4.

Charging is pretty much guaranteed not to be an issue now for the future. Time to fix all the customer service and service issues. Rich of Rich Rebuilds was apparently contacted by Tesla about how they could improve some aspect of 3rd party service, so hopefully that's a sign that Tesla is going to let some of that stuff go and take a load off themselves as it already happening in Europe.

It seems the flames may have begun on time.

IMG_2633.jpeg

With the understanding that Tesla marches to the beat of a different drummer, it seems obvious that any "financial deal" between Tesla and those who adopt the NACS will be minimal. Tesla will be gracious with help in sorting out the app for Ford, GM and any others who see the obvious benefit of opting into the charging infrastructure with the broadest scope and highest reliability.

Beyond that, Tesla will want other OEMs to help with the further expansion of the SC Network, but it would be against the mission for Tesla to rake them over the coals in the process.

Elon, and because of Elon, Tesla, is sincere in wanting to assist everyone in the acceleration of the MISSION. That is the bottom line. Anyone who is expecting there to be some grand financial boon to Tesla based upon profits beyond the cost of expansion and maintenance simply haven't grokked this.

The crazy thing is how many fail to see how massively profitable being essentially philanthropic can be for Tesla. They have a hand in every aspect of the growth and expansion of The Mission, and this is what is reflected in the company's balance sheet and in the TSLA price on the market.
Agree. I would expect fair and non-discriminatory costs associated with being able to use it.

That has the potential to really help with expansion, and drive secondary network effects which Tesla can benefit from in ways not yet imagined...

(Bonus points for your use of "grokked")

If Tesla can make money on their charging network, great. The economics generally suck.

Elon has said several times the supercharging network is a self sustaining business of it's own with 10% margins on itself. In this light, more customers on the network = more revenues, which leads to more profits and faster expansion of said network.

Tesla Standard Oil anyone? :D

Elon has said several times the supercharging network is a self sustaining business of it's own with 10% margins on itself. In this light, more customers on the network = more revenues, which leads to more profits and faster expansion of said network.

Tesla Standard Oil anyone? :D
over time supercharging is a multi billion business, and as the biggest supplier Tesla owns a significant slice of that pie. By controlling costs and with relatively low margins, Tesla keeps the other charging providers in check to help reduce profiteering, which also helps grow the TAM for the EV business.

Morning FUD. Pretty pitiful attempt.
Let people talk long enough and they will tell you who they are. You just need to listen:

"Palmer says he’s surprised at the frankness of the report. “You’d be giving the engineers that wrote this stuff a good bollocking. You don’t normally write this down.” Palmer is the CEO of Aston Martin.

A little more perspective to share on the operation of the Elonosphere.

Boring Co. began sales of Burnt Hair in October of last year. Which, to me, means that for some time prior to that, Elon et al knew with some degree of certainty what was going to happen almost a year ago. Only after having worked that out did they then decide to have some fun and came up with the idea for selling Burnt Hair.

This precise vision into the future, and the proven accuracy of that vision, has constantly astonished everyone taking more than a casual glance at these seemingly separate companies of the Elonosphere which are in fact an efficient ecosystem that work together, sharing resources, and spreading the talent around as needed to amplify their overall effect.

Meanwhile, we mere Muggles look on and continue to try to pigeon-hole this remarkable, world-changing movement within the old tried and true system we understand where you screw the other guy in order to maximize your own profits. Silly Muggles as we are, unable to see the bigger picture as clearly as does Elon.

As was mentioned above, we are nearly to the point where wide-spread recognition will overwhelm the cognitive dissonance so many have perpetuated. The only alternative will be the expansion of a paradigm shift as the world finally grasps what is going on, and, more importantly, why doing it this way, with the goal being the common good, is so successful.

Who can't get behind this new way of approaching the very concept of growth and profit when every new manifestation brings so much good to all it touches.

Let that sink in.

Well this sounds familiar. Got into TSLA in 2016 / 2017 through my dad's account because I was just 14 at the time. Lmao.

Made a huge mistake and sold when factories shut down because of COVID but got back in shortly after. It cost me a large amount of shares but I never stopped believing in the long term mission.

Tried to do day trading or short-term gambling with options and never won. Had some profits but lost them shortly after. After losing 3-4k on the options market, I cashed out what was left in my gambling account and bought more stock.

As a car enthusiast with a passion for renewables and modern tech, my plan is to hold until at least 2030, buying new shares every now and then.
You did that as a teenager? If I understood that correctly, it just goes to show how early in life we develop our beliefs, values, and attitudes about money (and other things) and its importance to us; much coming from our parents.

Good you learned early lessons as it leaves you plenty of time to recuperate the losses, but more importantly you can adjust your core beliefs and values.

Look, it's a classic network effect. If you control the network, and make money from each additional node on that network, you have a beautiful platform business. Ultimately platform effects are the reason Apple, Microsoft and Meta have such high valuations. It's also why so many companies adopt strategy of give away the razor and charge for the blades. Giving these adaptors at costs makes absolute business sense if Tesla know they'll make money on each recharge. Anything they can secure from GM Ford in terms of additional investment in the rollout, so much the better. In the future Tesla will be both a major supplier of electricity to the grid (solar), a major supplier of the batteries that keep that grid buffered, and now a major retailer of that electricity with an unbreakable lock on anyone else gaining that latter position. In that role they can ensure a respectable margin on the electricity they sell. It's not that much of an exaggeration to say that as well as becoming the Toyota of automobile manufacturing, they're also becoming the Exxon of energy production, storage and distribution. This is why the market's going crazy. With these two dominoes toppled -- Ford and GM -- it's game over. They will now be the global standard, almost everywhere, w possible exception of parts of Asia.

Look, it's a classic network effect. If you control the network, and make money from each additional node on that network, you have a beautiful platform business. Ultimately platform effects are the reason Apple, Microsoft and Meta have such high valuations. It's also why so many companies adopt strategy of give away the razor and charge for the blades. Giving these adaptors at costs makes absolute business sense if Tesla know they'll make money on each recharge. Anything they can secure from GM Ford in terms of additional investment in the rollout, so much the better. In the future Tesla will be both a major supplier of electricity to the grid (solar), a major supplier of the batteries that keep that grid buffered, and now a major retailer of that electricity with an unbreakable lock on anyone else gaining that latter position. In that role they can ensure a respectable margin on the electricity they sell. It's not that much of an exaggeration to say that as well as becoming the Toyota of automobile manufacturing, they're also becoming the Exxon of energy production, storage and distribution. This is why the market's going crazy. With these two dominoes toppled -- Ford and GM -- it's game over. They will now be the global standard, almost everywhere, w possible exception of parts of Asia.

You may not be thinking big enough.

Hint:
The big picture isn't about the margin to be made on the charging. That doesn't matter, as it only has to break even to win the Cupie Doll. Tesla is operating the Fair, this NACS thing is just one of the sideshows that keeps the business running. Step on up, try your luck.

Another aspect of the charger news that I haven't seen widely mentioned...

You can buy a Tesla Wall Connector from Best Buy. How many Ford/GM/(soon to be etc!) owners are just going to buy these instead of other brands?! Best Buy Link for any new Ford/GM Friends! A trojan horse leading to Tesla infrastructure within homes and then hopefully more solar/Powerwalls being chosen over competitors.

Also, as households ditch their one remaining ICE vehicle and they've already got that Tesla Wall Connector...what do you think they'll pick? Especially if it is the most compelling product on the market within each price point (which it will be).

I think this is an excellent move with far, far reaching network effects! What an exciting time to be a Tesla investor/believer!

This morning at 07:44 Eastern TSLA was at $249.32.
Yesterday after some initial confusion I reflected on comments of my old friend who retired from BlackRock following an illustrious career in financial issues there and elsewhere. So, I asked him, apropos of the @Papafox posts what he thought of TSLA these days. I had mentioned TSLA in conversations with him for the last decade or so, during which he was supportive fo the mission, unconvinced of the investment merits.

This time he said "I'm long TSLA" and nothing else. He has always been circumspect, so that I took as confirmation. My hamfisted post yesterday was soon after that conversation.

IMHO, there is more good news coming. That despite a generally questionable economic picture.
Unconvinced of the investment merits!? That doesn’t make sense if he was supportive of the mission. The mission IS the investable merit; it’s an investment in the future of mankind or we cease to exist.

Where was the disconnect?

I don't think Tesla is losing its moat I think they are trapping Ford and GM inside their Tesla moat.

Read the board yesterday and today and you'll see many of the reasons. Here's a couple.

Human nature will make the drivers of vehicles other than Tesla's feel a little funny when they pull into a Tesla charging station. And they may question their decision to have not bought a Tesla.
If you pull into a Burger King to have lunch and all around you is information on why McDonald's is better what are you going to think

The amount of information Tesla will harvest from these other EVS will have huge advantages.Tesla will be harvesting information from other manufacturers but other manufacturers will not be harvesting information from Tesla's. This is a one-way Street (isn't that a moat?)
So many other reasons things are looking really good.

Tesla isn't losing its moat it's trapping everybody else inside, understand this and you won't be tempted to sell your shares. Elon never fails to surprise.. what's next
To make your mcd analogy consistent.

It's like Burger kings contracted out table makers and they all deemed to collapse. Mcd makes their own tables. Bk now partnered up with mcd so you now can eat at their stores. So burger King customers are sitting in mcds using their tables to eat surrounded by mcd customers who now sometimes have to wait for a bk buyer to finish eating to get a table. Not awkward at all.

You did that as a teenager? If I understood that correctly, it just goes to show how early in life we develop our beliefs, values, and attitudes about money (and other things) and its importance to us; much coming from our parents.

Good you learned early lessons as it leaves you plenty of time to recuperate the losses, but more importantly you can adjust your core beliefs and values.
Yes, my dad introduced me to Tesla in 2015 (I was 12 years old) and he ordered a Model X. I was always a car enthusiast but from the day we test drove the Model X I knew, this is the future.

So once I was a bit older I started investing my savings and christmas money into Tesla Stocks. Even though I lost some during COVID, I am stll on a very, very green path. It is my safety fund for the future and every day I spend my time reading through this thread, news articles and twitter, informing myself about the latest updates in the Tesla Space.

It's been an incredible ride already. I remember when we got our Model X as one of the first here in Germany, you saw one Tesla every 1.5-2 months.

Thinking about how far they have already come in such a short period is mindblowing.

I am inspired to look forward to the future everyday, as this is just the beginning.

With the understanding that Tesla marches to the beat of a different drummer, it seems obvious that any "financial deal" between Tesla and those who adopt the NACS will be minimal. Tesla will be gracious with help in sorting out the app for Ford, GM and any others who see the obvious benefit of opting into the charging infrastructure with the broadest scope and highest reliability.

Beyond that, Tesla will want other OEMs to help with the further expansion of the SC Network, but it would be against the mission for Tesla to rake them over the coals in the process.

Elon, and because of Elon, Tesla, is sincere in wanting to assist everyone in the acceleration of the MISSION. That is the bottom line. Anyone who is expecting there to be some grand financial boon to Tesla based upon profits beyond the cost of expansion and maintenance simply haven't grokked this.

The crazy thing is how many fail to see how massively profitable being essentially philanthropic can be for Tesla. They have a hand in every aspect of the growth and expansion of The Mission, and this is what is reflected in the company's balance sheet and in the TSLA price on the market.
What brand of coffee did you drink this morning? That post said what I said yesterday but was decidedly more eloquent and I heard British actor voice in my head.

For a moment I thought maybe Ford and GM survive the transition now - only for a moment.