Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used to imagine there was a conflict that resulted in Cory leaving... now I think he got an offer he couldn't refuse.
A position higher than Munro had any dream of ever reaching.
We'll see soon...
Talented people have been leaving Michigan for better climates for more than 100 years. Cory might well be in that situation also. Admittedly moving to Palo Alto suggests tax situation might not have been determinative. As a graduate of a Michigan high school I understand the issues, unquestionably from many decades ago. From the TSLA perspective we might expect that much of the value from Munro is vanishing. Now we need serious dispassionate engineering and manufacturing expertise from people who are familiar with present and evolving technologies and materials. Right now we have less serious reverse engineering capabilities to help us have better insight. Anybody within two decades of my age is too old to really be competent to evaluate TSLA manufacturing, materials and design. Even supply chain issues are changing in ways unknown to older people.

One crucial component of critically negative views of TSLA is the inability to understand BEV technology vs ICE, and systems integration as a primary factor in BEV success. Very few people have been capable of understanding that. Even Cory did not really grasp those fundamentals although he has been in awe of their effects.
FUD can and will prevail so long as seemingly well-informed people fail to understand evolving manufacturing and design process.

Despite our justified disdain for the purveyers of FUD, most, like GM, and Ford, cannot conceive the new realities. Ones who do, like Herbert Diess, are almost invariably excised from their influential roles. That inability to see facts clearly is also evident in much governmental actions, both in the US and elsewhere.

All this has been known for a decade and is becoming more pronounced every day. Just imagine how Elon Musk feels when his accomplishments in both SpaceX and Tesla are regularly dismissed and criticized for their very success. Even here on TMC well-informed people are now very critical of his actions, not least because he has reacted strongly to discriminatory treatment, notably in California where those two companies are the only two large manufacturing companies retaining both auto fabrication and rocket production. reasonable people might think these companies should be encouraged to stay in California.

All these comments seem perhaps extraneous to Cory leaving Munro. Just possibly, he sees just how the South Bay not only spawned the revolution of personal computing, cellular telefones, auto manufacturing and, not too far away on the PCH is the mastery of cost-effective space technology and materials advances that feed back to the South Bay automaking people, AI applications and so on. I have no idea where he's going, but I am sure he's hoping to participate in the future, not the past.

FWIW, I've just this morning had another OTA update on my car, now routine, but unimagined by most OEM's. Does Cory realize just how fundamental that is? I think so. Good luck to him.

The ‘competition’: VW is aware that it is in big, big trouble now.
Was already predicted here by quite a few, years ago.
Well, they cannot say Diess hasn’t warned them...

In the story’s comments, it appears all agree. Didnt see one disagree.

So with such common knowledge out there, you’d think the stock would rise a little faster. Maybe this week it starts.

Ouch - “EV owners continue to have issues with many aspects of public charging, as the cost and speed of charging and the availability of things to do while waiting for their vehicle to charge are the least satisfying aspects,” he said. “At the same time, the reliability of public chargers continues to be a problem. The situation is stuck at a level where 1 of every 5 visits ends without charging, the majority of which are due to station outages.”

and

"20% of users surveyed said they visited a charger but didn’t due to inoperable chargers or long lines. EV owners in the Miami-Port St. Lucie-Ft. Lauderdale Combined Statistical Area (CSA) as well as the Seattle-Tacoma, Denver-Aurora, and Dallas-Ft. Worth CSAs all had the worst charging experiences with 35% of visits failing to result in charging in Florida and 29% each in the other CSAs."

Supercharging will be a cash cow for non-Teslas

To follow-up, this is in Australia:

"For customers with a Supercharging Membership, the price to use a Supercharger stall on a non-Tesla EV is $9.99 per month. For those who aren’t members, Tesla charges $0.78 per kWh, and Idle fees are up to $1.00 per minute."

That's too bad, at least for Munro. He adds a lot to that company-I find his content and presentations far more informative and focused than Sandy's. Sandy tends to ramble and miss important details. I also think Cory understands actual manufacturing processes better than Sandy, some of the info Sandy has presented has been either wrong or missing important considerations.
I agree. No doubt Munro’s tear downs and six digit cost reports are useful to the industry. His videos are just marketing fluff in an attempt to stay in the public eye. I’m not even sure why he does them since his viewers aren’t likely to buy his reports, and the people that do buy his reports aren’t likely his viewers.

Nonetheless, the videos do occasionally have interesting info buried in them.

The ‘competition’: VW is aware that it is in big, big trouble now.
Was already predicted here by quite a few, years ago.
Well, they cannot say Diess hasn’t warned them...

Why be concerned about an inept VW? When was the last time VW was held up as a standard for anything? Porsche and Audi made the money, VW gave them the volume and the smaller (SEAT....)brands that gave them more volume but at a loss. If it weren't for China three decades ago there may not be a VW conglomerate now.

Keep attention on Toyota and Honda. who say one thing in public but are working feverously on another behind the scenes.

Or BYD, who tells you to your face they want to be a major player...........................oh crap, they did it.

Teslarati is not main stream media and they are generally a bit biased as in pro-Tesla, but still they need to main some standards and not stoop to the level of BI, or WaPo or NYT or LAT or CNBS and such ... ;)
FWIW, for those who haven't gone there, Teslarati is (IMHO) a terrible quality site. It is 100% pro-Tesla, pro-SpaceX, etc., if that's what you are looking for.
The quality, proofreading, and factchecking of articles is ... poor. And that is not to mention the quality discussion in "the comments"... eesh.
Nonetheless, it can be useful to at least track all the current Tesla scuttlebutt/rumors, but PLEASE take anything you see there with a tablespoon of salt!

FWIW, for those who haven't gone there, Teslarati is (IMHO) a terrible quality site. It is 100% pro-Tesla, pro-SpaceX, etc., if that's what you are looking for.
The quality, proofreading, and factchecking of articles is ... poor. And that is not to mention the quality discussion in "the comments"... eesh.
Nonetheless, it can be useful to at least track all the current Tesla scuttlebutt/rumors, but PLEASE take anything you see there with a tablespoon of salt!
Better than electrek which is an anti-Tesla site masquerading as a pro Tesla site 😂

FYI Articles are written by people like ‘us’ for teslarati. Proofreading and fact checking is on the author. I made 2 stories long ago( Autocross & the Nvx sub for old model S). things may have changed a bit but it was just articles from tesla fans mostly

I agree. No doubt Munro’s tear downs and six digit cost reports are useful to the industry. His videos are just marketing fluff in an attempt to stay in the public eye. I’m not even sure why he does them since his viewers aren’t likely to buy his reports, and the people that do buy his reports aren’t likely his viewers.

Nonetheless, the videos do occasionally have interesting info buried in them.
Munro's tear downs of the Model 3 & Y were fascinating glimpses into how cars are manufacturers, despite the occasional flubs about technical stuff. He's started talking about doing a tear down of the CyberTruck, as well, and I'll watch all of that content when and if it occurs.

If Troy is right (and, as is generally obvious, he gets more accurate the closer we get to end of quarter - like predicting the score of a football game 5 minutes from the end of the game vs. 5 minutes from the beginning) - the "Demand craters for Tesla!" headlines will be pervasive....and the stock treated accordingly. The roller coaster continues...

Threads of the day:
FSD discussion Cruise pile up
So yet another Cruise pile up. How does Cruise prevent this from happening again and again?

I don't think you can solve this problem with heuristics. When something weird like a traffic deadlock happens, you have to come up with a new driving plan on your own. And this plan could involve something odd, like cutting through a gas station or turning around in someone's driveway or backing up 100 yards followed by a U turn.

The only way I see to solve this problem is to train the system with thousands upon thousands of examples. It has to reach human-like decision-making.

Only Tesla can solve this. That will become clear to Wall Street within the next 12 months. Get your shares while you can!

If Troy is right (and, as is generally obvious, he gets more accurate the closer we get to end of quarter - like predicting the score of a football game 5 minutes from the end of the game vs. 5 minutes from the beginning) - the "Demand craters for Tesla!" headlines will be pervasive....and the stock treated accordingly. The roller coaster continues...

Is this one of those quarters where they miss on delivery because they're ramping up another new product line (i.e. Cybertruck + Highland). Then, wall street and the media sensationalize it and say Demandddd problemzz. Finally, followed by an amazing Q4 per usual with much rejoicing?

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this one of those quarters where they miss on delivery because they're ramping up another new product line (i.e. Cybertruck). Then, wall street and the media sensationalize it and say Demandddd problemzz. Finally, followed by an amazing Q4 per usual with much rejoicing?
Same rhetoric, maybe this time they'll realize the ramp up was the cause of soft deliveries...nah....anything to push down $TSLA to scoop it up on the cheap.

This is all I can find in the last 20 minutes: