Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dillon Loomis (Elektrified guy) deleted my Youtube comment pointing out the "confirmed" leaks from that wannabee influencer Matthew are (1) him trying to "pass off" info from an anon Twitter spaces guy as an authoritative source he knows to whore clicks and personally monetize, and (2) has a *sugar* track record of "leaks" from his past rumors. All to protect his Youtube view monetization.

Between that and him pushing the "supplement/religion" stuff for a science, fact-based investor community, WTF is the guy thinking?

Tesla investor community has some of the biggest frauds / leechers / cringe "influencers" out there.
Maybe ⁠@matthewdr requested it as he has commented below it 😂 Unsubscribed 🤦🏻‍♂️

All these leaks are getting a little unseemly.. some technically bright engineer at Tesla is going to get fired. That’s a shame for the individual concerned as well as a loss for Tesla shareholders.

Awesome, I can't wait for my check! We'll have to see whose ... check ... is bigger.

Preface: I'm appreciative for recovery checks, too, (one each for a taxable and a retirement account), but for
a total amount of $978.78 I clearly don't play in the same league!
At the time I was bringing some serious overconfidence to the table, assuming that stuff like "Funding secured!" came from Elon's devious cleverness and deep knowledge of the relevant first principles (of corporate law). My thinking was something along the lines of "Well, the stock is now worth $420, but those fools can't see it yet. And going private means the end of putting my superior knowledge of Tesla to use making money, so I'd better make a pile of easy money now." Then I shoved in all my chips.

It is only now that I've listened to Isaacson's Musk biography that I'm coming to understand just how strongly Musk's actions and pronouncements should be filtered. At "Funding secured" time I imagined that because Musk had worked for banks and gotten a BA in Economics that that meant he understood what all the relevant rules were and had figured out some clever way to work around them.

But Isaacson makes very clear that Musk does things impulsively, just assumes that rules don't apply to him, and doesn't consider who might get hurt. Isaacson says that long-time co-workers understand that Musk has to be deflected and ignored much of the time when he's making decisions impulsively. As investors, I think we all need to understand that too.

A recent example that doesn't actually concern me much is that at the company he bought, when he was mass firing people, I just assumed that having been a long-time California employer he knew exactly what he could and couldn't do, and how to avoid bad legal consequences. Isaacson says no, just doing what he thinks makes sense for the business, with no consideration of people or law. I guess that works sometimes, but I suspect that the lawsuits will eventually kill the business. There will be thousands of them. And just like he had to buy the company because he made a stupid deal impulsively, he'll have to pay up to the tune of (at least) hundreds of million of dollars because he acted impulsively.

Thing is, you're traversing the roundabout with the wheel turned left and should indicate BEFORE you start straightening up, no?

Anyway I think it's indeed temporary and based on a whole load of environmental inputs, it will indeed be updated to automatic signalling - the same when pulling out of a parallel-parked space, it's obvious what you're doing and which what you intend to go, the car should handle it

Obviously stalks won't work with a yoke anyway, you need the continuous arc of movement to be consistent for that

As for the horn, yes, this a problem, after nearly one year of ownership, I still have no idea where the horn button is on my yoke - neither the high-beam, because I don't use them very often, so no mechanical memory has built up
This is probably the biggest unknown feature of the horn that I see. Just slam your whole palm on the right side of the yoke where the buttons are and the horn will go off. No need to look for that horn button.

OEMs reported their Q3 P&D numbers today, figures for US only.
Stellantis delivered for North America only sales of 380,563, down 1% from Q3 2022. Their N.American inventories are above the national average. No mention of BEVs.
I don't recall them selling any consumer BEVs in the US for years. Last one was the compliance car Fiat 500e when it was still FCA (Fiat-Chrysler Automobiles). Stellantis sells plenty of BEVs outside the US though.

Honda delivered 331,608 vehicles, up 49.3% YOY. Do they sell any pure BEVs?
Not in the US, IIRC. Their last two US BEVs I can recall were lease-only, compliance cars Fit EV and Clarity BEV.
Toyota delivered 590,296 vehicles, up 12.2% YOY. Do they sell any pure BEVs?
Yes, they do in the US + a bunch of others outside the US. For the US, I can think of the BZ4x ("busy forks") and 2023 Lexus RZ - Luxury Electric SUV | Lexus.com.

• Informative
Reactions: madodel and wtlloyd
A recent example that doesn't actually concern me much is that at the company he bought, when he was mass firing people, I just assumed that having been a long-time California employer he knew exactly what he could and couldn't do, and how to avoid bad legal consequences. Isaacson says no, just doing what he thinks makes sense for the business, with no consideration of people or law. I guess that works sometimes, but I suspect that the lawsuits will eventually kill the business. There will be thousands of them. And just like he had to buy the company because he made a stupid deal impulsively, he'll have to pay up to the tune of (at least) hundreds of million of dollars because he acted impulsively.
Yes, but he overpaid for Twitter by about $20B, so a few hundred million in fines is pocket change. Not to mention, he was hemorrhaging about $4B a year in operating costs. Again, the fines for firing people quickly was the lessor of two financial evils. Not everything Elon does is stupid.

Yes, but he overpaid for Twitter by about $20B, so a few hundred million in fines is pocket change. Not to mention, he was hemorrhaging about $4B a year in operating costs. Again, the fines for firing people quickly was the lessor of two financial evils. Not everything Elon does is stupid.
Jason "marketing an SPV to randos" Calacanis has summarised it nicely..

Hope this is the end of the x/twitter surge and Elon will now focus attention back on our golden goose 🤭

This is probably the biggest unknown feature of the horn that I see. Just slam your whole palm on the right side of the yoke where the buttons are and the horn will go off. No need to look for that horn button.
Interesting... now I have the challenge to remember it's on the right and not that huge big "button" in the middle where it has always been on every other car I've ever driven...

Still don't get why they would move the horn away from the centre, one of Musk's dumb, impulsive ideas that wasn't sufficiently ignored, I guess, maybe it saves 25c costs on what was a €135k car when I ordered it

Last edited:
Naked shorting and borrowing shares from non-FINRA exchanges are two methods for sweeping evidence of significant shorting activity under the rug.

... and don't forget 'mismarking' Short sales as Long. It's practically free for Market Makers like Citadel Capital: (while discretely condoning the practice by the $SEC)

SEC Fines Citadel Securities $7 Million for Mismarking Orders | Investopedia (2022-09-22)

"Regulators explained that Citadel violated a provision of its Regulation SHO, aimed at preventing abusive short selling practices by requiring broker-dealers to mark sale orders as long, short, or short exempt.​

"The SEC charged that over five years, Citadel incorrectly marked millions of orders, denoting some short sales as long sales and vice versa. Officials indicated that stemmed from a coding error in the company’s automated trading system, sending wrong information to regulators."​

Thru these three methods: naked-shorting, non-FINRA non-reporting, and mismarking orders, criminal organizations like Citadel are making a mockery of the stock market. It is anything but fair and transparent.

#SEC due ur job

OEMs reported their Q3 P&D numbers today, figures for US only.

GM deliveries for US only reached 674,336 of only 20,000 which were BEV. This total was up 21% from Q3 2022. At end of quarter GM had 442,586 autos listed as inventory. GM advised their BrightDrop electric delivery vans have halted production this month until Spring 2024 due to battery module delays.
Rough calculations would put the OEMs number 3X as noted above for their world wide sales (assuming 1/3 N.America, 1/3 Europe and 1/3 China). That is a lot of new ICE vehicles,
FWIW, GM's European sales should be 0 or nearly 0 due to GM completes sale of European division to PSA Groupe. GM's main European brands were Opel and for the UK, Vauxhall. Stellantis is the combo of PSA Groupe and FCA (Fiat-Chrysler Automobiles).
That is a lot of new ICE vehicles, not including the German OEM (Volkswagon, BMW and MB). So it looks like Tesla is going to do this transition to BEVs alone (with help from Chinese and Korean manufacturers) and a couple of upstarts, and it will be a long slog without help from the traditional OEM manufacturers. Sad.
I still stand by my prediction of after 2040 at Prediction, in Which Year Will New Electric Vehicle Sales Exceed 50% in the United States "Poll". I don't have time to go over all my reasons but I've stated many in that thread if you search it for posts by me.

• Informative
Reactions: jkirkwood001
Interesting... now I have the challenge to remember it's on the right and not that huge big "button" in the middle where it has always been on every other car I've ever driven...

Still don't get why they would move the horn away from the centre, one of Musk's dumb, impulsive ideas that wasn't sufficiently ignored, I guess, maybe it saves 25c costs on what was a €135k car when I ordered it
First principles question:
Does it make sense to put the crash alert warning trigger directly over the pyrotechnic device that activates during a crash?
Or, is it better to keep body parts away from that area, especially when a crash is more likely?

This debate has been going on for decades. 1997 Acura Integra had spoke horn buttons, not center pad.
Auto horns and airbags -- not a happy marriage

... and don't forget 'mismarking' Short sales as Long. It's practically free for Market Makers like Citadel Capital: (while discretely condoning the practice by the $SEC)

SEC Fines Citadel Securities $7 Million for Mismarking Orders | Investopedia (2022-09-22)

"Regulators explained that Citadel violated a provision of its Regulation SHO, aimed at preventing abusive short selling practices by requiring broker-dealers to mark sale orders as long, short, or short exempt.​

"The SEC charged that over five years, Citadel incorrectly marked millions of orders, denoting some short sales as long sales and vice versa. Officials indicated that stemmed from a coding error in the company’s automated trading system, sending wrong information to regulators."​

Thru these three methods: naked-shorting, non-FINRA non-reporting, and mismarking orders, criminal organizations like Citadel are making a mockery of the stock market. It is anything but fair and transparent.

#SEC due ur job
As usual, AD, you nailed it. absolutely the way the “market” rolls. Being 76 years old, no telling whether I’ll live to see the day but I hope and pray, these criminals will get what they deserve.

So the new cheap Model Y is available in the US for $36,490 after the tax credit. That translates to around £30,000. The cheapest Model Y in the UK is £44,990. So we are paying 50% more than you for the same car. Don't let me hear any of you Americans complain about anything, ever :)
Doesn’t the UK price include VAT? The US price does not inctses tax.