Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Ford cutting F-150 Lightning factory shift is 'emblematic' of changing EV demand​

UAW claims 'sales for the Lightning have tanked'​

Will the market at large move to EVs? That is the question. How bad will the resistance be? Ford is apparently starting to see it or there warmed over F150 with batteries is not compelling enough.

Last edited:

Ford cutting F-150 Lightning factory shift is 'emblematic' of changing EV demand​

Will the market at large move to EVs? That is the question. How bad will the resistance be? Ford is apparently starting to see it or there warmed over F150 with batteries is not compelling enough.

Well, we'll see if Tesla or others start making electric pick-ups in volume, or when Tesla opens up the Supercharger network and they're delivered with adapters.

Charging on the F-150 is relatively slow, charging network kinda sucks right now.

Why would anyone buy an F150 Lightning at this moment?

Cybertruck is coming. NACS is coming. And the second generation electric F-150 is coming. I think potential Lightning buyers are waiting to see how things shake out.

I suspect this one actually belongs in forum "demise of the OEM's" (it's not fair, tesla is vertically integrated, if only we could go back in time)
What will that old guy do with all the pin-striping decals and undercoating he stocked up on to oversell people?

Last edited:
It's just me or it's the first time in a long while that we have good question at the top?

Great post on X on Elon’s answers to the most-voted questions on the ER on Say — I must say, spot on likely true that we’ll just get a bunch of waffling non-answers 😬

Here are the answers Elon will give us:

How many Cybertruck deliveries do you anticipate for 2024?

--> "For the Cybertruck deliveries in 2024, we're aiming to make significant progress. It's a unique vehicle and there's been a lot of interest. However, ramping up production is always a challenge, so while we're optimistic, I can't give a precise number right now."

When do you expect model 3 Highland to be available in US?
--> "The Model 3 Highland is something we're excited about. We're working hard to get it to the US market as soon as possible. It's always about getting the details right to ensure quality. Bear with us as we finalize the timeline."

Can you provide a progress update on the 4680 Cell? Particularly progress towards performance improvements and cost savings outlined on battery day.
--> "The 4680 Cell is a significant advancement for us. We're seeing good progress on performance improvements and cost efficiencies. Remember, it's not just about the cell, but about integrating it into our vehicles and ensuring longevity and safety. We're on track with what we've presented on battery day."

Could you please provide an update on (i) capacity expansion plans for the company's factories in Berlin and Austin and (ii) the opening schedule of Gigafactory Mexico?
--> "Berlin and Austin are both moving at a good pace. We're pushing the boundaries in both locations. As for Gigafactory Mexico, we're in the early stages, but we're excited about the potential there. We'll keep everyone updated as things progress."

Why was the price dropped on FSD if it is getting better and robotaxi is expected so soon?
--> "Improving technology and scaling often allows for cost reductions. The price drop for FSD is reflective of our commitment to make autonomous driving more accessible. The goal is to get as many people as possible using it safely."

Mercedes is accepting legal liability for when its Level 3 autonomous driving system, Drive Pilot, is active. Is Tesla planning to accept legal liability for FSD, and if so, when?
--> "Safety is our top priority with FSD. We're constantly refining and improving the system. As for liability, we believe in our product, but we'll have to see how regulations evolve and make decisions accordingly."

Current sell side consensus assumes that Tesla will deliver ~2.3 million vehicles in 2024, representing 28% growth vs. 2023 guidance. Is this growth rate achievable without any mass-market launches in 2024, and when does Tesla expect to return to its 50% long-term CAGR?
--> "We're always pushing the envelope, and while I won't confirm or deny that specific number, we're confident in our growth trajectory. As for the 50% CAGR, it's a goal, but there are many variables in play. We'll keep driving innovation and pushing boundaries."

(Credit: @QnenAlex)
https://x.com/qnenalex/status/1713670968319647937?s=46&t=h4O4UMPqHcbEi-gvTZklCw

I suspect those answers were ChatGPT generated. This is what I got from the following prompt:

Answer the following question as if Elon Musk was answering the question during the 2023 Q3 earnings call: How many Cybertruck deliveries do you anticipate for 2024?

"During the 2023 Q3 earnings call, I want to be clear that I don't have a crystal ball, and predicting the exact number of Cybertruck deliveries for 2024 is a challenging task. However, I can share our current outlook and expectations. We are incredibly excited about the Cybertruck and the demand it has generated since its announcement. We have seen a strong response from customers, and our teams have been working diligently to ramp up production capabilities.

As for 2024, we are aiming to reach full-scale production by that time. The exact number of deliveries will depend on several factors, including the production rate, any unforeseen challenges, and changes in market demand. Our goal is to make as many Cybertrucks as possible without compromising on quality.

I can assure you that we are fully committed to delivering as many Cybertrucks as we can to meet the growing demand. We'll continue to provide updates on our progress as we move forward, and I'm confident that the team will do everything in their power to make 2024 an exciting year for the Cybertruck and Tesla as a whole. Thank you for your continued support."

I'm pretty confident that, as prices come down, we'll see ~80% of folks perfectly happy to buy an EV. For all the lame criticism about how Tesla doesn't make enough "updates" (read: cosmetic, but otherwise pointless changes to body creases and fake plastic vents) or that EV's are soulless appliances because they don't make loud noises...most people really do just want a car that does the job and looks decent, and EV's will prove better and better than ICE's for more and more personal driving needs. The remaining 20% of ICE holdouts will take longer to convince.

Regarding Ford's decisions specifically: I see the F150 lightning as serving the rather small Venn Diagram intersection of super-Ford-fans who want to go EV and have the money to pay Ford's asking price (plus dealer markup). Also, didn't Ford raise prices considerably on their Lightning? And many truck buyers don't actually need a truck? And Tesla lowered prices considerably recently? And there is news that many other, better EV trucks are just over the horizon? Putting all that together, then I'd go with your last statement and add a bit:

"[Ford's] warmed-over F150 with batteries is not compelling enough at their current prices and in the current competitive environment."

This article (https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/16/business/ford-f150-lightning-layoffs/index.html) blames both supplier and own workforce for quality issues, and the dropping of the third shift is to get their act together. It does not blame weakened demand. Personally, I would believe the CNN article in this case over Autoblog, which hates EVs.

Edit: from other sources, seems the supply chain issues have been with … wait for it … batteries. What. A. Surprise. /s.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Wow, while Elon was distracted with Twitter Toyota just leapfrogged Tesla with new game-changing technology.

Meanwhile the Tesla app displays your charge level before you even get out of bed.

Which reminds me of the time my car was stranded with a flat tyre. I had to leave it overnight at a garage and in the morning they called me to say that they had been locked out. Even worse, it was blocking the entrance, so customers cars couldn't get in or out. I was still in bed and was able to unlock the car remotely from my phone. Panic over.

Some important numbers from Limiting Factor guy Jordan. Further savings I think by avoiding transport from afar when the cells/pack is made at the car factory.

IMG_1519.jpeg

What, again? That must be I believe the 10th leapfrog in the last 5 years. Very impressive indeed.

/s
Has anyone seen the current Honda ads? Shows a series of CGI vehicles, including a rendering of the upcoming car they are licensing from Chevy. In the small print it says ‘imaginary vehicles shown throughout’ and it also shows a VTOL and some guy playing with a toy moon station.

The punchline is ‘We won’t ever stop dreaming’, I expected them to say innovating but perhaps some truth in advertising crept in!