Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We hear ya, brother! This is all very annoying. I bought a couple dozen shares today so that I can point to *something* positive coming out of all this BS (me owning more shares… even if it’s just a little more). We are patient yet impatient. I need to learn to meditate.
Wait, do we know prior to the UAW strike that Tesla gave a comparable worker the exact same compensation package as the Big 3 did?

Agree that 2m $50k cars eliminates the same amount of fossil fuel usage as 2m $10k cars.

But tesla isn’t got to get to a 5m vehicle annual run rate selling $50k cars, let alone 10m or 20m.

From Master Plan 3..
Compact [TBD] LFP Pack size 53 kWh Vehicle sales 42M Global Fleet 686M 36 TWh
Midsized Model 3/Y LFP 75 kWh 24M 380M 28 TWh
Commercial/Passenger Vans [TBD] High Nickel 100 kWh 10M 163M 16 TWh
Large Sedans, SUVs & Trucks Model S/X, Cybertruck High Nickel 100 kWh 9M 159M 15 TWh

Companies like BYD, many other Chinese brands, and Stellantis are already selling good compact EVs.

Products like the Cybertruck and the Semi are in segments where achieving the required performance and efficiency levels is challenging.

For the compact, making a reasonable margin in a very competitive market segment, where buyers are very price sensitive, is the difficult part.

From Elon's point of view the compact also makes an ideal Robotaxi and fleet cost, hence vehicle cost is important.

The compact segment will be very competitive, customers should have lots of choice, Tesla can provide the best "value-for-money" option.

IMO purely in the car market (ignoring FSD etc) the one advantage Tesla has is "value-for-money" and a superior experience for not much more money. Also a brand that is a bit more premium, a car, software and charging experience that is more premium.

So Tesla has to make a compact that is in the same price bracket as a lot of the competition that is "value-for-money" and maintain the brand image. it is worth taking the time to get this right from day 1.

Very few remember that the GM Bolt beat the Model 3 to market.

View attachment 986854

Hopefully he's sandbagging that number :)
Elon: We're aiming to make about 200 thousand a year at volume production
Joe: Wow
Elon: Maybe a little more

Elon hasn't wanted to make a cheap car because cheap cars have no margins. He's said this in the past and had to be convinced to make it.

Now if the truck actually has low margins, that's ironic, but I do find your thoughts on stalkless ridiculous. It's a personal opinion, obviously.

I still have a USAREUR license and lived/drove in Europe and the UK for 6+ years. I don't see it as an issue, but some are less able to adapt.

Once you solve sustainability of the planet, the question arises: what do you do with limitless energy availability via solar/batteries?

Personally, this opens up a lot of digital/electronics markets outside of cars that includes space, health, robotics...

Elon's right - Tesla and Climate Change don't have to go hand-in-hand with each other as the cost curve for solar/battery goes past fossil fuels...

Drew Baglino just filed a Form 4.
Sold 10,500 shares on 10/27/2023

Drew has a preset plan to sell 10500 shares every month, nothing to see here...

1698827173322.png

Top 10 Manufacturing Companies in Illinois:

1. Ford Motor Co., Chicago Assembly Plt. (Chicago, IL)
Ford’s assembly plant on Chicago’s South side is a major employer in the state, home to 5,810 employees. Opened in 1924, the storied 2.8 million square-foot plant occupies 113 acres and currently produces the Ford Explorer, Lincoln Aviator and the Police Interceptor Utility.

These vehicles put the Chicago plant at high risk. Maybe the $4K rebate is because Ford lost traction in the State of Illinois? In other words, they lost another reason to push back? Just a theory - the timing after the UAW strike resolve makes me curious.

The Big Three say they can cut costs to compensate for meeting the UAW demands. Which seems to me to go without saying. Tesla has demonstrated how much leaner they can operate.

I'll believe it when I see it with them, as doing so will require massive collaboration between their suppliers, or, vertical integration on a huge scale.

From the article:

“We are expecting minimal issues with factories getting back up to speed,” he said, adding that “inventory levels at dealerships held up reasonably well during the strike.”

Which I read as, "Getting back up to speed will be easy, because we didn't sell any cars and inventory held up well during the strike"

The Big Three say they can cut costs to compensate for meeting the UAW demands. Which seems to me to go without saying. Tesla has demonstrated how much leaner they can operate.
I just heard the former Ford CEO say that they will just pass the added costs to the consumer. (Not sure where, was with Phil Lebeau.)

That only works when people want to purchase their vehicles at a higher price. Not something you can bet on.
I was shocked by his honesty (Mark Fields), but that's easy when you're no longer CEO of Ford. Phil actually loaded the question with "cost savings" and Mark didn't take the lead by stating Ford would pass it off to the consumer. It wasn't a maybe, more of a matter of fact statement. Maybe I should hunt it down?

• Informative
Reactions: Krugerrand

I'll believe it when I see it with them, as doing so will require massive collaboration between their suppliers, or, vertical integration on a huge scale.

I really don't buy into the "we will make it up" on efficiencies and cost cuts. Those efficiencies were there before the strike so they are only going to take them now that the UAW raised their costs? Trust me they are always looking for cost savings.

The big 3 are actually quite good at squeezing out 2-3% efficiency per year. They force suppliers to cut prices and will squeeze out marginal labor efficiencies. The difference as you state is Tesla has more innovation in the mix to truly take cost out, not just squeeze everyone.

GM and Ford knew they had a long way to go to match Tesla on costs.

They now have a much longer way to go so the job just got harder.

I've got chips in hand, hoping to touch 197.95 so I can recoup the number of shares I sold to fund the ROTH.

I just jinxed it, didn't I?
You have FOMO in just a few days of being out of the market. I can feel it!
THIS is why we HODL, you just never know! Wishing you the best to get back onboard.