Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Making sure it's all gone? I'm a bit surprised ARKQ had any GM. 🤷‍♂️

1699078307410.png

$25k is still not a low price for a subcompact CUV, if you include ICE vehicles in the mix. The Bolt is saddled with pathetical slow DC fast charging capability, seriously hampering it's ability to ever complete a "road trip", at least in anything approaching a reasonable time.

While I agree (and already mentioned) the bolt isn't especially useful beyond a local vehicle, the base mode is $19,995 after the $7500 tax credit... even lower if your state also has EV credits. That's a fairly low price given the average new car is around 50k these days.

GM would have no issue selling lots more if they could actually produce more (which they can't- and they're gonna be making 0 next year)- which is why I kinda hate Teslas suggestion they're slowing their roll on Gigamexico- the TAM for a car this cheap is massive and I've no doubt what Tesla produced at a comparable price would be an insanely better car too.

While I agree (and already mentioned) the bolt isn't especially useful beyond a local vehicle, the base mode is $19,995 after the $7500 tax credit... even lower if your state also has EV credits. That's a fairly low price given the average new car is around 50k these days.

GM would have no issue selling lots more if they could actually produce more (which they can't- and they're gonna be making 0 next year)- which is why I kinda hate Teslas suggestion they're slowing their roll on Gigamexico- the TAM for a car this cheap is massive and I've no doubt what Tesla produced at a comparable price would be an insanely better car too.
Tesla and the world need the 'Model 2', but the current plan seems good so long as they keep moving forward at a good pace. Build the first Gen 3 cars at Austin where there are as many engineers as needed to support and evolve the plan; continue with infrastructure work to support Mexico (lots); and plan the German factory. And these factories will need lots of cells that will have to come from somewhere.

(Also continue work on an evolved Y, similar to Highland. When that's on the market, VW's hiring freeze might not be enough to right-size their work force.)

Tesla and the world need the 'Model 2', but the current plan seems good so long as they keep moving forward at a good pace. Build the first Gen 3 cars at Austin where there are as many engineers as needed to support and evolve the plan; continue with infrastructure work to support Mexico (lots); and plan the German factory. And these factories will need lots of cells that will have to come from somewhere.

(Also continue work on an evolved Y, similar to Highland. When that's on the market, VW's hiring freeze might not be enough to right-size their work force.)

Like a brand spanking new lithium refinery that is set to open in mid-2024 instead of 2025 and can generate enough materials for 1M vehicles annually?!

Apropos of post-penultimate commentary, a proposal for Mod-ular consideration,
1. Given the direct relevance of Douglas Adams (e.g. Milliways, the new Tesla restaurant), Mel Brooks (e.g. Plaid), as well as the two mentioned here...
2. Given the credit given to sundry writers of Science Fiction and Fantasy for inspiration of Mr. Musk and numerous other technologically oriented entrepreneurs:
Might we have a thread dedicated to sources of inspiration, specifically for Tesla, SpaceX and other Musk companies?
Might it not be out of place to consider also the dystopian, even including the prototypical George Orwell 1984, or even Stanley Kubrick and A Clockwork Orange?

These subjects are certainly off-topic in the main thread, even though in many respects it is these writers who have successfully inspired innovation. We could even offer a Susan Calvin award for a seriously successful Optimus when it happens.

The AI thread is informative but considers mostly technology rather than implications of technology.

Is it not time for us to evaluate such issues? For the record I think this 'origin story' sort of question has plagued Elon strongly since the OpenAI challenges. He makes these TSLA issues, whether causing positive or negative impact. Most likely a mixture, not unlike Hari Seldon and Susan Calvin.

Note: I just reread this post and observe I'm a trifle Asimov-centric in comments. So be it. Only he and Douglas Adams are hard-wired for me, given my advanced age, perhaps because I feel like Ford Prefect from time to time. (True: my first newish car was a Ford Cortina GT with Lotus aspirations. At the time I often Hitchhiked.)

Mod edit: Asimov-centric or not, that is a terrific idea. So let it be done.
This thread needs to have the imprimatur of our founder, so, sir, might you lend that authority.

I woke up curious... here goes.

I wonder how this forum is used to create news or influence buying or even the market. Who reads this specific Investor Thread, and how many? How is this a source for others, or future AI? We won't know all the answers, and anything is possible. But what is known and what can be assumed? Think of this more like looking into a telescope and saying "huh" followed by a slight tilt of the head.
  1. When Rob Mauer (or others) for example puts together his Tesla Daily, does he look here at any time as either a wrap up to see if anything was missed, or as a preview, or as a sort of proofing? For that matter, are they here in disguise? If so, Hi!
  2. Does Elon visit, read, or comment here? Or does he have people looking, like Walter Isaacson at one time, or others from X.com or Tesla?
  3. Do Tesla Employees watch to see how the public is interpreting things correctly (sanity check on reality)? Understand their own place in the market?
  4. Do Tesla Employees get ideas in Engineering from here? (I've seen quite a few genius ones.)
  5. Do the Analysts come here to get ideas on how to mess things up? (I've seen strategies or ideas here I wouldn't want them to know.)
  6. Have the Mods done any sort of SEO site tracking on this thread specifically? Which countries are watching? Engaging?
  7. Are the older archived Investor threads still in tact? Predating this "perpetual Roundtable" - (I think this is the 3rd I've been on since I first joined.)
  8. Will future AI encapsulate this transition from various views for the History books? Will a book be created from this?
  9. Will X.com AI fish for data in here for any social understanding?
  10. Or do we sit in a tiny corner and it's simply rare that people even know this exists in the grand scheme of things?

This highlights a thought I've had for over a year now. It seems clear to me that the market makers control TSLA and can close it wherever they like. They can issue virtual shares at will and have unlimited shorting ability. So what reason is there to think this will ever not be the case and TSLA will approach a value that some of us belive represents actual fair value? I haven't lost confidence in Tesla but I have lost confidence in the claim that stocks eventually reach "fair value".

This is the thought that leads me to question whether there is a point I may sell and move on, which of course helps those that are shorting, but what's the point in holding if the stock price can be set to anywhere those institutions desire?
I don't think this is the case. Most people don't see the value of FSD and as a car company TSLA is over valued. It's really just a good opportunity to get shares cheap before the rest of the world figures out what they've been missing.

I wonder how this forum is used to create news or influence buying or even the market. Who reads this specific Investor Thread, and how many? How is this a source for others, or future AI? We won't know all the answers, and anything is possible. But what is known and what can be assumed? Think of this more like looking into a telescope and saying "huh" followed by a slight tilt of the head.
  1. When Rob Mauer (or others) for example puts together his Tesla Daily, does he look here at any time as either a wrap up to see if anything was missed, or as a preview, or as a sort of proofing? For that matter, are they here in disguise? If so, Hi!
  2. Does Elon visit, read, or comment here? Or does he have people looking, like Walter Isaacson at one time, or others from X.com or Tesla?
  3. Do Tesla Employees watch to see how the public is interpreting things correctly (sanity check on reality)? Understand their own place in the market?
  4. Do Tesla Employees get ideas in Engineering from here? (I've seen quite a few genius ones.)
  5. Do the Analysts come here to get ideas on how to mess things up? (I've seen strategies or ideas here I wouldn't want them to know.)
  6. Have the Mods done any sort of SEO site tracking on this thread specifically? Which countries are watching? Engaging?
  7. Are the older archived Investor threads still in tact? Predating this "perpetual Roundtable" - (I think this is the 3rd I've been on since I first joined.)
  8. Will future AI encapsulate this transition from various views for the History books? Will a book be created from this?
  10. Or do we sit in a tiny corner and it's simply rare that people even know this exists in the grand scheme of things?
YES

Having pondered over this as well, then reality checking against the sheer number of "everyone else" who exists out there, I'd agree that to a very limited extent each of the above may very likely have happened. How often this happens is anyone's guess, and, the Tesla channels elsewhere do appear to parallel topics under discussion here. Sometimes leading and sometimes lagging TMC content.

Any one of those examples fortunate enough to stumble in here at the right moment, or, as the result of some particular search criteria, could find some very useful tidbits. Even dropping by to graze every now and then may reveal correlations which aren't found elsewhere. The depth and breadth of experience being shared here is a treasure.

However, there is always the signal to noise ratio to consider. Only the die-hards will work through the self-inflicted daily punishment in order to get through the many tangential derailments and build a coherent picture. A random or occasional visitor might not last long enough to realize the nugget they were looking for. But, anyone with a knack for picking the gems up from a discussion forum will find plenty of them here.

To be clear, this is a very well moderated forum. Nothing I've written takes away from the true excellence of the majority of participants here, both as contributors and as administrators. This is one of the best forums I've participated in, and I've been "online" since the mid 1980's.

However, I'd much rather this remain our little secret than to see it gain a Reddit level of popularity.

First rule of HODL Club is we don't talk about HODL Club. 😉

I don't know about Rob Mauer, but I'm pretty sure Dillon Loomis uses this thread as one of his primary sources. Often, I will see original observations and ideas expressed here (including some of my own) that end up on Dillon's show later that day. Of course, those same ideas could be gleaned or thought up elsewhere, but it happens too often to be coincidence.

This is not to say the Dillon is doing anything wrong. On the contrary, it is right and proper that he should be using the collective wisdom of this thread to inform his content. This thread is the best source I know of for in depth analysis of Tesla. The signal to noise ratio is pretty good.

Additionally, sometimes this thread is the source of original reporting (and rumors) that makes it into widespread social media. So we do have an effect for sure.

1. Does Elon visit, read, or comment here? Or does he have people looking, like Walter Isaacson at one time, or others from X.com or Tesla?
I am pretty sure he doesn't anymore but we collectively suspected he did read TMC back in 2018, for example when Fact Checking came up with the Short-sellers Enrichment Commission. The term wasn't picked up anywhere else until Elon tweeted that a few days later on October 4th.

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

Wow, those were some great comments, and from different perspectives. Thanks. I get the collective sense that I'm not the only one proud of this home.

On the Engineering side, I've often wondered (more in the past) how I could help Tesla in some new way. I gotta think the Engineering horsepower among us is substantial with senior level experience everywhere. Wise comes to mind, (but so does having too many chef's in the kitchen). And maybe with AI, none of this is even needed shortly.

Many I speak of are in that age bracket not typical of the workforce. After all, those factory photos are filled with mostly young rising stars. But where's Grandpa? (It's my new thing now for real, lol.) At first glance, the laws and lifestyles may not easily fit this untapped opportunity. 🛌

Some of us need naps, others may forget something or take a bit longer, but sometimes quality over quantity matters. Broad knowledge from real world experience is as uniquely valuable as the march of 9's is for FSD. If it's a cost barrier, change some rules. A culture divide? Of course, at first. Tesla craves resources, while many here would work for free (and often do in real time, but only ever guessing or reverse Engineering). Maybe this would need a group resume. Could be an Engineering Review Board working in varied capacities - to double check work, make sure no stone is left un-turned, help solve really difficult problems like 4680 production quality.

I'm not necessarily limiting this concept to TMC, so likely OT. But if I were looking for some low hanging fruit, I'd definitely look here and youtube for sure.

We've already got one.

;)
The funniest thing about that clip is that it is actually not "random". Mother being called a hamster meant she was a whore (apparently female hamster can be a bit of a sex maniacs), reeks of elderberry wine meant that dad was a poor street drunk that could not afford good wine. It either ruins it for you or makes it even funnier. Since I didn't get the joke for years (thought it was just silly nonsense) I now find it an absolute riot. So funny that almost no one gets the insult.

So we wake up one day and can start having intelligent conversations with our cars. Presumably only shallow conversations while driving - but could get deep n meaningful at the supercharger.

I can think of relationship implications, more people drawn by physical factors, for mental stimulation there’s grok. Can anybody see an impact on the stock? I suppose the car can take on secretarial duties - that’s worth something.

Tesla YTD sales in California (from a James Stephenson post on X)

2022 - 132,309 market EV Share % 71.8

2023 - 183,278 market EV Share % 62.9

Tesla is roughly on pace to sell as many EVs in California in 2023 as all manufacturers sold in 2022.

When an increasing percentage of new car sales is EVs, I don't expect Tesla to maintain the same percentage market share, and I certainly don't expect them to maintain over 70% market share.

EV market share % in a particular market in a particular quarter is plumbing new depths in relation to shallow anti-Tesla talking points.

YTD or YOY overall sales numbers are a fair comparison. YTD % of the total car market is reasonably fair.