Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But honestly, how often would it be used? Never where I live in the PNW, very reliable power here, primarily from the dams. Unless a transformer explodes or something like that.

Perhaps in Texas? You folks had a bad time a couple years with an ice storm yes? But still, how often? Or is it just a peace of mind thing?
Depends on where you live in Texas. We haven't had a power outage at our house that lasted longer than a few minutes for over ten years (and the ones back then were due to the very poor maintenance by the utility company). Some parts of Texas are much more vulnerable, such as the coastal areas and their hurricanes. Most of the Southeastern Coastal areas are also hurricane magnets.

We get several power outages a year in my neighborhood on our island. We’re at a high latitude and get commensurately high winds which blow down branches from the many tall trees here, at times along with the trees themselves. My house is on the shore and a bit more exposed than most too. So power backup would be nice.

Though in the 3+ years I have lived here the outages have been less than a day long and most much shorter than that, so it hasn’t been a big problem (I gather there have been some outages that were much longer in previous years). Still, I have radiant heat using circulating hot water that is heated by burning propane thus power outages mean no heat (I have a wood burning fireplace as a backup).

The island power service is a line and will be replaced in the next couple of years with a loop that should be much more reliable.

I signed up for the solar roof and power walls when I moved here, but they’re not available here. Also, if I’m going to do upgrades I should start with replacing the windows.

I’m not sure how long I’ll stay either.

All this means that I like the range extender for the CT though I’d like it to be something that can be removed from the CT by the owner and used as a stand alone unit. However, I suspect this may not be the case as I saw, when I pre-ordered it with the CT, that it needs to be installed at a Tesla service center.
Though now that I think about it, I realize that my Starlink router is in the basement not to far from the water heater and recirculating pumps. I could just run an extension cord to my basement from the CT in the event of an outage.

I’d have heat and internet. I could occasionally take my Nook e-Reader, which is where I spend the most of my device time, along with other devices down there to charge. I guess I could also take rechargeable lights, but I’m fine with candles—they’d give things that "roughing it" aspect. 😀

Damn, both idiot parking jobs were obviously done on purpose as well, hopefully not both at the same time.
Ahem.

I did have to crawl out of the back of the Model X, though.

By an absolutely unrepeatable quirk, I did locate the owner of the white car; she said when she'd arrived the parking lot was empty so she just pulled her car in. By the time I got to this venue, it was the sole slot available for perhaps a quarter-mile. And the performance was about to start.

She quickly moved it to the center of her slot.

But honestly, how often would it be used? Never where I live in the PNW, very reliable power here, primarily from the dams. Unless a transformer explodes or something like that.

Perhaps in Texas? You folks had a bad time a couple years with an ice storm yes? But still, how often? Or is it just a peace of mind thing?
Where I live in rural PA, whenever there is a storm my wife worries about the power going out. We are blessed with living in a forest with tall trees along roads lined with power line poles. We have a well. 30 years ago we learned that when the electric goes out the water goes out as well. Decades ago we would lose electric for days. Once over a week. Bought a generator but that needs a perfectly level placement, and is finicky about oil level, and needs gas to run which has to be "fresh". I'm tired of dealing with it. I'm in the permit step of getting 6 Powerwalls to hopefully alleviate that issue since the past decade or so it only goes out for a few hours to a couple days. Having the CT would be added security.

Though now that I think about it, I realize that my Starlink router is in the basement not to far from the water heater and recirculating pumps. I could just run an extension cord to my basement from the CT in the event of an outage.

That’s what we do now, but running an extension cord into our kitchen from a 10kw gas generator. It powers our refrigerator, coffee maker, Starlink receiver, TV and soundbar and charging station. And a space heater if needed. So we’re not suffering.

Outages are not infrequent here in E TN, but generally just a few hours. But we recently had an 18 hour outage. Not as elegant as a whole-house system, but gets the job done. And a CyberTruck with an extension cord would be nicer, eliminating the noise and need to keep refilling the generator.

Ahem.

By an absolutely unrepeatable quirk, I did locate the owner of the white car; she said when she'd arrived the parking lot was empty so she just pulled her car in. By the time I got to this venue, it was the sole slot available for perhaps a quarter-mile. And the performance was about to start.

Note to self (and caution to the world):
Audubon went to a concert and found the driver of a car that had shown up a long time before he got there, and convinced her to go move her car, NOW!
(Befriend AudubonB)

Ahem.

So you were the bad guy...

Ahem.

Ahem.

So you're saying "Things are not always the way they appear"? 😣

Depends on where you live in Texas. We haven't had a power outage at our house that lasted longer than a few minutes for over ten years (and the ones back then were due to the very poor maintenance by the utility company). Some parts of Texas are much more vulnerable, such as the coastal areas and their hurricanes. Most of the Southeastern Coastal areas are also hurricane magnets.
We had a 3 day outage due to ice storm downing trees onto power lines this past February in Central Texas. Had a night without power this summer due to a thunderstorm. Most of the state including me lost power for 3-5 days during the Feb. 2021 total grid failure during the polar vortex that killed dozens, most due to freezing, and caused billions in damage due to frozen water lines. (That was unfortunately before I had the Powerwall.)
Very happy for my solar and Powerwall setup now. Would sleep even better knowing my Y could also back me up.
In general, history shows the Texas grid sucks. We need all the storage we can get.
But hey, Texas just passed a new constitutional amendment that will subsidize more fossil fuel plants (you know, the ones that failed miserably in February 2021) and -only- fossil fuel plants, so there's that. 😠 I'm not peeved or anything.

1702868346862.png

Putting your $ in a savings account during that span instead of GM would have yielded more 🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴

Making good on my fiscally irresponsible pre-order from over 4yrs ago, you’re welcome for the Q1 ‘24 assist.
Nice! I'm so tempted to put my address back to NY right near the Mt.Kisco service center where I lived a few months ago. Up here in NH there's nothing. I'm guessing if they call me and then I say "BTW I live in NH now" there wouldn't be an issue with that.

Reactions: Dayreg