Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ah ok. Thanks for confirming USCbucsfan. Gotta be a glitch. There would be no reason to exclude all non supercharger charger facilities.
Unlikely.

The CT charging is pretty slow compared to other Teslas. The thought is that they are testing/validating...could be why they are blocked from non-Tesla chargers.

So what am I missing on the IRA credits? We are 3 days into the year and Tesla are selling at sub optimal prices. M3P is cheaper than M3LR and M3SR is more expensive that the MYSR. They are gaining knowledge and waiting for the dust to settle perhaps (Ford Lightning prices changed dramatically today for instance).

They are just giving the media time to get all their FUD over P/D numbers done before throwing them another bone to fight over with a M3P price hike. (or drop prices on the other M3s to make up for the lost rebate as GM has done)

For what it’s worth, I have been fighting the urge hard over the past few days to not pull the trigger on the FS CT AWD. While I think I can comfortably afford it, I can’t get over the price difference of $100K versus $67.5K (post federal and CO incentives). The only catch is I don’t know when I can get my hands on the standard CT AWD.
Of course a serious "pop" in short-order could change my mind, but unlikely. I wouldn't plan on any incentives alone for this decision, but fully expect some design kinks to iron out. I can wait a full year, not a problem. We're still near the front of the line, and if the rumors of only 1,000 Founders are true (seems low but maybe), I bet they'll be circling back to our orders by next this summer. Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: ChiefRollo
Of course a serious "pop" in short-order could change my mind, but unlikely. I wouldn't plan on any incentives alone for this decision, but fully expect some design kinks to iron out. I can wait a full year, not a problem. We're still near the front of the line, and if the rumors of only 1,000 Founders are true (seems low but maybe), I bet they'll be circling back to our orders by next summer. Good luck!
The new rumor is that they will sell as many Foundation Series as they can by a certain date, then start over on the list and contact people that declined and continue on.

• Informative
Reactions: SOULPEDL
So what am I missing on the IRA credits? We are 3 days into the year and Tesla are selling at sub optimal prices. M3P is cheaper than M3LR and M3SR is more expensive that the MYSR. They are gaining knowledge and waiting for the dust to settle perhaps (Ford Lightning prices changed dramatically today for instance).

Not really "missing" anything other than some of the speculation in the last few pages on what timing/options Tesla really has.

There are no US cells to put into those cars to get the credit back, so that's a non starter.

We know Highland refresh is coming soon... that'll probably include a price bump... but most other countries saw a 2-4k bump from it, so even if they say raised the P by 4k and left LR and RWD alone, the LR wouldn't make any sense as a product- though the RWD might, perhaps with a couple grand cut on top (down to say the ~35k the inventory ones sold for last quarter).

Among ideas tossed around recently:

Tesla could kill the LR AWD (as they did once before) and those Chinese 2170s could go to Berlin for more Ys if they get the workers to make em and the demand to buy em over there.

Tesla could change their long-standing no-buyout policy on leases-- effectively making the $7500 credit available again on the RWD and LR AWD. This would have the most impact on maintaining (or increasing, with highland coming) 3 sales in the US-- but would significantly alter the % of Teslas subject to leasing compared to historical numbers.

This one wasn't tossed out, but they could go back to sending non-qualifying 3s to Canada and stop importing them from China- though I doubt they sell enough in Canada to replace US sales and then they're still stuck with the rest at weird prices in the US so probably Not A Thing.

They are just giving the media time to get all their FUD over P/D numbers done before throwing them another bone to fight over with a M3P price hike. (or drop prices on the other M3s to make up for the lost rebate as GM has done)

Since Tesla will not sell a car with a losing margin do you really think Tesla can afford to sell the RWD 3 for $31.490? (the current price with $7500 taken off by Tesla)- or even for ~28k which is what the inventory ones were net of the credit recently?

Seems like it'd be a weird choice compared to just letting people buy out leases and keep pricing the same even if they COULD afford to do it.

The cybertruck can’t charge from a CCS charger. Probably not a big deal in the long game but for those of us that have limited tesla supported routes it may affect sales. Interesting.

Dang!

So my plan of getting one in a container bound for Norway won't work.

Tesla better not stop making S & X I'm just sayin'

Reactions: AZRI11
1704305258053.png

I assume this is where all of the talk about what Tesla will state as their goal, but I looked back a few pages and couldn't find this exact quote.

The new rumor is that they will sell as many Foundation Series as they can by a certain date, then start over on the list and contact people that declined and continue on.
My money is still on the idea that they will go through the entire pre-order list. Anybody who ordered before initial deliveries started will get the opportunity to buy a Foundation Series.

Just my speculation, but I think it's as good as a rumor.

As an investor, I like my idea as it seeks to maximize profit without too much backlash.

By a certain date? Is that the Jan-Mar comment for delivery, or some internal threshold TBD on demand?

If conditional, my investor face wants this Founder's Series to continue as long as possible - that's some bullish demand in a land where margins are king.

(Edit: Didn't see @Usain post - fully agree. Adding to this...)

When FS Cybertruck demand drops below some production volume intersection, that's when they would likely discontinue the offering, with the ramp unaffected through transition. We will not know if discontinuing was due to lack of FS orders or if the Production Ramp was simply doing really well. For sure, the press will call it a price cut to meet lacking CT demand... discontinuing that series... and is the Model X next? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
S/X just had their best quarter in 5 years. They are not going anywhere. They have not always had the latest/ greatest tech. They are still using 18650s for crying out loud but they are flagship vehicles and are incredibly important for defining Tesla as a luxury brand. Their future is bright.

There is ZERO evidence to suggest they will ever be discontinued.
Maybe you're both right, @Krugerrand (haha).

We can agree that, from a revenue standpoint, the S and X are increasingly marginal to TSLA's bottom line. Perhaps even more importantly, to the degree they advance the mission of converting the planet to sustainable energy, Tesla's other projects have become much more efficient towards this end.

Just for fun, here's a shocking idea that sounds like something Elon would do:
  1. Stop producing the S and the X - they've served their purpose.
    • Are you one of the 1% that needs a premium performance sedan? Fine, buy a Lucid Air or Taycan.
    • Are you one of the 1% that needs more space than a Y but less... everything than a CT? Fine, buy a Rivian R1S.
    • Elon will give you that elitist niche (maybe Jenna will come over for Christmas again..?)
  2. Focus batteries and resources on volume Gen3 production
    • Build ~2.5 times the cars per 100 KW in batteries (and replace 2.5 as many ICEs as an S or an X)
    • Dedicate high-volume facilities and batteries to volume EVs, Optimus, and energy products.
    • But wait - what about a halo car? And what to do with that low-volume Fremont floorspace? That leads to
  3. Spin up Roadster production at Fremont.
    • The Roadster is perfect for a low-volume, high-touch production line = Fremont.
    • Roadster volume won't benefit from gigacasting missing at Fremont
    • Roadster restores ("accelerates") Tesla's leadership with an absolute, premium, halo vehicle.
    • Win NASCAR.
    • Win F1.
half 😜

By a certain date? Is that the Jan-Mar comment for delivery, or some internal threshold TBD on demand?

If conditional, my investor face wants this Founder's Series to continue as long as possible - that's some bullish demand in a land where margins are king.
I haven't seen any dates...It looks like they have gone down about 40k on the list from the CT forum, maybe more.

Reactions: SOULPEDL