Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe he’s not despicable but just high on LSD, cocaine or ecstasy all the time when he retweets things. See WSJ article. I’m glad Tesla leaders are on the record being worried about this

Elon is hardworking, thoughful, and productive. Tesla leaders are not on record as expressing 'concerns' about drug use, that's a lie spread by a hostile WSJ media outlet, who are being disrupted by X.com.

The fact that they got you to repeat their lie here, for free, speaks primarily about the grip of legacy media. You are a pawn in their game.

Everyone is talking about the lemons on hand aplenty.

How about we consider how to make the lemonade?

Let's say neither Elon, nor the Tesla board decide to pursue an appeal. What is affected?

California and the IRS miss a fairly substantial payday.

What if the board devises Elon's future compensation in a way that makes no mention of compensating him for this past period of time at all?

California may not be collecting any tax on Elon's compensation going forward. (depending upon the time period California can lay claim to tax a former citizen of the state)

-

Elon owes no taxes, nor will he need to sell shares to pay them, for that period of compensation that has been voided by the court.

The entire problem we have been wringing our hands over, of how Elon would handle the collection of those (now-lost) shares, and all the perils and pitfalls we have discussed in the past few weeks, suddenly become moot.

There will be no shares sold to cover taxes that aren't owed, nor will Tesla have to come up with their side of taxes on Elon's compensation for the period voided.

-

I think most of us want Elon to have bankroll for whatever it takes to save Earth and to colonize Mars. Right?

Perhaps the Board could devise a method of giving voting rights to Elon for shares that are gifted to a non-profit legal entity, formed for funding purposes such as accelerating the transition to sustainable energy, preserving humanity on Earth, in space, and on other planets and satellites, and, developing AI in an ethical manner.

If such a plan could be carefully crafted, perhaps Elon and Tesla may avoid significant tax liability for Share-option compensation packages going forward, and shareholders wouldn't be quaking in their boots over concerns of how Elon will cover the cost of receiving his compensation. I'd call that a win.

-

Elon could also be given an exorbitant salary. Say, a couple of billion per anum to start off with, then merit raises as appropriate.

He could pay or avoid taxes, and he could buy TSLA shares on the open market at his leisure, rather than have to sell shares to get some portion of his payday in his hands. It seems likely he might develop a knack for Dollar Cost Averaging with a vengeance. Literally.

-

I'm just getting started here. There may be more angles to consider that could work within existing rule sets in order to achieve the goals and get the assets into a safe place. All while giving Elon the voting control he prefers, and the ability to increase his share count as well.

But, but... people keep saying Elon never plays 4D chess... it seems he might have them right in another checkmate while they think they won... like they did with the bird stuff... 🍿

This could all actually be good for Tesla, TSLA shareholders, AND Elon:

IMO, the Board needs to think hard about their mechanism for compensating Elon. It's obvious that the 162M shares he would have needed to sell just to pay his income taxes would be resold 10x by shortie. They had a field day with his 2012 Comp. plan sales and that was just 1 / 33 rd the size in terms of shares granted.

Elon says he doesn't want money. Fair enough, would he take 1 million bots as compensation? Enough to staff his city on Mars. What other physical things does he need to buy, that Tesla could provide over the next decade or two? Cyber-Mars rovers? Factories? Let's make a deal.

But, but... people keep saying Elon never plays 4D chess... it seems he might have them right in another checkmate while they think they won... like they did with the bird stuff... 🍿

It was challenging for me to avoid making reference to any form of chess when writing that.
But, I think the Chancery Court has him exactly where he wants them. 😏 🤔 if you know what I mean,... and I think that you do

try to convince the guy who put his savings in TSLA at $380 a couple of years ago that it is the right thing to do…

That makes no sense. When TSLA was at $380 Elon had already achieved all the Mkt Cap goals of the 2018 CEO comp plan. This hypothetical investor missed the boat, but that's not on Elon, or the Board.

Why didn't they invest at $12 in May of 2018? Only at $380 for a few days, briefly after the Hertz purchase news broke. (are you the $380 man)

1706681156252.png

Reactions: mad474
You have to remember that the compensation plan was approved by the shareholders in 2018. The guy who bought at $380 doesn't get a say, because he wasn't a shareholder back then. Same with the fund managers. So keep that distinction in mind.

The only opinion that matters is from the shareholders in 2018, and EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM (including the guy who filed the lawsuit) benefited from the terms of the compensation package. If they sold before the rise in 2020, that's a problem of their own making.
An increase in share price doesn’t benefit you unless you sell, and you probably don’t want those big early investors selling lol — they are much more concerned about things like share dilution and fundamental underpinnings rather than stock price movements, they’re looking further out.

People are harping on about this one individual shareholder madlad who brought the lawsuit but ignoring the $320billion California State Teachers’ Retirement System and other institutional organizations who were also voicing concerns.

Everyone is talking about the lemons on hand aplenty.

How about we consider how to make the lemonade?
I’ve mentioned 🐂 💩 not 🍋 nor 🍋 + 🚿, but your point stands.

I believe this will have made Elon mad via a feeling of unfair, unreasonable treatment. A mad Elon is a dangerous man. Dangerous = good for us. Dangerous = bad for them.

In the end, this will turn out fine.

@elonmusk Going for a walk with Optimus

If I'm not mistaken, Optimus has flat, rigid "soles". The mobility and flexibility Seem too constrained. What if Optimus foot evolves into more human like, such as with functioning heal, ball, and toes.

It seems like someone pointed out how the foot now has flexibility at the toe end, though not individual toes.

So, wearing flip-flops are right out. :rolleyes:

I think the walking gait is becoming more human-like.

The first thing I expect to see is an appeal to the Delaware Supreme Court.

I don't. The first thing I expect to see is Tesla moving its domicle from Delaware to Texas (very soon). The second thing I expect is Elon's briefing on the Future of Tesla under his leadership. The 3rd thing I expect is a new 'Special Proxy Statement' for a shareholders' vote on Elon's replacement CEO comp. plan (which should take us over $6T or whatever AAPL and SaudARMACO add up to).

Hoping they find some innovative way to pay Elon w/o stock options which just feed the bares.

I don't. The first thing I expect to see is Tesla moving its domicle from Delaware to Texas (very soon). The second thing I expect is Elon's briefing on the Future of Tesla under his leadership. The 3rd thing I expect is a new 'Special Proxy Statement' for a shareholders' vote on Elon's replacement CEO comp. plan (which should take us over $6T or whatever AAPL and SaudARMACO add up to).

Hoping they find some innovative way to pay Elon w/o stock options which just feed the bares.
If such a move were made, I think you’d see a very negative reaction from institutional shareholders who might view this as the company trying to escape the arm of corporate law.

Nah not going to happen

@The Accountant @ 37min 10 sec
I always knew you were famous!
@38:29 @The Accountant is specifically quoted
"THIS WOULD HAVE A PERVERSE FINANCIAL UPSIDE AS RULING STANDS...etc"

You should go on Brighter. I double dare you! Triple dog dare!
Screenshot_20240131_022055_YouTube.jpg

Last edited:
Can someone expand on this? Here's my thought process on this:

1) The court claims Elon had too much control over his own compensation, board wasn't independent enough, the process for devising the compensation plan wasn't transparent, etc.

2) But do the shareholders really need to know the minutia of the process in order to vote on the compensation plan at face value?

3) The shareholders were voting on fairness of the compensation plan itself, not the details of how it was devised. It's like if you were deciding whether to buy a car, and all the details of the car were presented accurately, but you have no idea how the final price was determined. You don't need to know how the price was determined, you just need to decide whether you like the price or not.

4) I don't see anything deceptive about the actual compensation plan at its face value. The details of the plan itself wasn't hiding anything from the shareholders.

Ah, but you are forgetting that many shareholders probably thought many of the milestones in the package were impossible. So they voted for it, thinking the company would be less successful, and the stock price would stay lower, and Elon would be paid less.

But then he and the Tesla team drove the company to great success, and the stock price went up, and his compensation ended up more than those shareholders *really* thought was possible.

And, apparently, some fraction of shareholders (perhaps just one) think it is bad that the company is more successful than expected...hmmm....