Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Final numbers for New Zealand EV 2023 sales now available.

Yes it is a small market, but Tesla sales actually decreased substantially vs 2022 (5k in 2023, down from 7k in 2022):

1707817279086.png

Final numbers for New Zealand EV 2023 sales now available.

Yes it is a small market, but Tesla sales actually decreased substantially vs 2022 (5k in 2023, down from 7k in 2022):

View attachment 1017863
Yes and remember some boats are returning to China do to bug infection I think it's the 2000 that not are delivered in 2022

The difference is New Zealand specific as was my question. NZ is a very small market so percentage wise 2000 units is meaningful.
If in doubt, the answer is deliveries, not "sales". This is my criticism of some commentators. Tesla can increase production, but especially in Germany it means it's a big commitment and this is a lower demand seasonally for most of Europe (remarkable then that prices are rising). So a step change in production would be needed, due to shift hiring. Until that hiring is decided upon and acted upon, Teslas will be rationed out to markets. This enables cherry-picking by bad actors. It's ok to lump the different countries into broader supply groupings and analyse as a whole. There is some nuance/flexibility (my car in UK was from Fremont, but few years ago), but at the moment...

1) Supplied from China
2) Supplied from Berlin
3) Supplied from USA

Canada - China & USA
Germany - China (Model 3), Germany (Model Y) - additionally Model Y can come from China to fill some gaps.
UK/Ireland/Malta/Cyprus/Australia/NZ/Malaysia/Singapore/Thailand/Japan - Right-Hand Drive - China or USA - can't be Germany - Malta & Cyprus probably grey imports as would be Indonesia.
Turkey - Berlin
Taiwan - Germany or USA

New power-wall sounds like very good news. I especially (as an investor) love the fact that its the same price, but cheaper and easier to produce.
I do think as investors, we over-focus on megapacks and under-focus on powerwalls.

I've had a 9.5kwh givenergy battery in my house for about a year and its been amazing in terms of economics. I buy ALL my power at 75% off overnight, and my energy bills have fallen very nicely. Now I have 4.1kwp solar instead of 2.1kwp, I will be using it a lot in summer to store excess power rather than export it for a pittance.
One other person in my (tiny)village also has a home battery, and several more are extremely interested. They are also a relatively cheap investment compared to an EV. Why did neither me or my neighbor get a tesla powerwall?
Price.
Here in the UK powerwalls have been not especially competitive, AND very hard to get hold of. I'm hoping with V3 the price can come down (esp install price), and Tesla will find a big market.

Probably worth noting for USA folks: Europe has a lot of solar and wind energy. Our power production is very random, and this leads to super-flexible prices. Take a look at our energy production variance:
This tells me time-of-day pricing is here to stay, meaning the home ROI on battery storage is here to stay too. Could be a very good market.

If in doubt, the answer is deliveries, not "sales". This is my criticism of some commentators. Tesla can increase production, but especially in Germany it means it's a big commitment and this is a lower demand seasonally for most of Europe (remarkable then that prices are rising). So a step change in production would be needed, due to shift hiring. Until that hiring is decided upon and acted upon, Teslas will be rationed out to markets. This enables cherry-picking by bad actors. It's ok to lump the different countries into broader supply groupings and analyse as a whole. There is some nuance/flexibility (my car in UK was from Fremont, but few years ago), but at the moment...

1) Supplied from China
2) Supplied from Berlin
3) Supplied from USA

Canada - China & USA
Germany - China (Model 3), Germany (Model Y) - additionally Model Y can come from China to fill some gaps.
UK/Ireland/Malta/Cyprus/Australia/NZ/Malaysia/Singapore/Thailand/Japan - Right-Hand Drive - China or USA - can't be Germany - Malta & Cyprus probably grey imports as would be Indonesia.
Turkey - Berlin
Taiwan - Germany or USA
add: Chile- China (so far all on sale are China) deliveries begin whenever first ship arrives.
from whence for UAE, Qatar, Israel? Presumably China 3, Y and US S, X?

Better than seeing someone pooping on your lawn and saying “dont yell at the pooping guy on the lawn, he is a genius don’t question his actions”

Ah, providing another example? 😏 Thanks.

There is always something to be said for being consistent and predictable. It is helpful to know your regularity can be depended upon. :rolleyes:

Whether you do this on the lawn or in this forum is always your option to choose.

Last edited:
Several thousand pages ago I wrote of my investment philosophy which includes I do not regard any company dependent upon one person dominating as an investment. My ownership of some TSLA is more accidental. The subject of Mr Musks personal beliefs, holdings, public comments, etc constantly coming up here is an example of why that is my philosophy. Personally, I believe peace of mind, etc is more important in my life than trying to wring the last drop out of my investments. Mr Musk is allowed his opinions and to express them under the Constitution. His is the dominate voice in several companies. It is a factor in all of our decisions about these companies. Perhaps my philosophy on investing might be of use to some on this thread.

Several thousand pages ago I wrote of my investment philosophy which includes I do not regard any company dependent upon one person dominating as an investment. My ownership of some TSLA is more accidental. The subject of Mr Musks personal beliefs, holdings, public comments, etc constantly coming up here is an example of why that is my philosophy. Personally, I believe peace of mind, etc is more important in my life than trying to wring the last drop out of my investments. Mr Musk is allowed his opinions and to express them under the Constitution. His is the dominate voice in several companies. It is a factor in all of our decisions about these companies. Perhaps my philosophy on investing might be of use to some on this thread.
Just to be clear, you're here to tell us you believe owning TSLA is not an investment, and you don't recommend owning any of it?

If what this means is, an investor should compartmentalize the company from the public personality of an individual managing the company when evaluating whether or not to buy, I wholeheartedly agree.

More so when the company is consistently setting new records in growth and technological achievements, while the personality is being targeted and their perspective is being negatively amplified in a campaign by the agents of those being disrupted by the company's success.

These actions are vain attempts to stave off their becoming irrelevant before they can pull the ripcord on their golden parachutes. When balanced against the long term success and future of the company this can be ignored in the moment as a little emotion-generating noise when measured in ratio to the loud and clear signal of a company tasked with an important mission.