Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suspect it's real. When I got my S in early 2013 it was one of only a couple in Northern VA. I got stops and stares all the time... people asking me about it... came out to the parking lot and one guy was taking pics of it for a publication. And an S is nowhere near as radical looking as the CT, so I suspect it gets LOTS of attention currently.

But just as nobody bats an eye at my S anymore, so too the hub-bub about seeing a CT will die down...
even when i got my MS in early 2017 there were still other Tesla owners waving and kids wanting to see the car... so it did last quite a while

Yep, C-NCAP is the main governing test agency and BYD does get top marks on their vehicles: https://carnewschina.com/2023/01/16/byd-seal-scores-5-stars-in-c-ncap-crash-test-in-china

A price war Tesla can most definitely win, its the innovation speed that is my main focus. BYD is expanding its EV brands and portfolio much faster it seems. This is why I'm interested in watching sales data and earnings for profit margins.
Without me having to research, are those tests comparable? As we know some of the NHTSA testing is not the same as the IIHS testing.

even when i got my MS in early 2017 there were still other Tesla owners waving and kids wanting to see the car... so it did last quite a while

I visited my City's Transport Museum at the weekend with my daughter and the first thing you see when you enter is a Model S, then various older vehicles (ICE, Steam trains, horse carriages etc). On It's release it's the moment BEV's became desirable and the history books will note that when ICE becomes a thing of the past.
82619878_3086715721350322_5289127576483135488_n.jpg

Network data, not power, is what they said in the video.
I found it odd that they couldn't put a radio in it. So it's still fishy with me whether it is using power or not.

They say data only.

So they are touting "autonomy", yet they may have it cabled to a multi-rack computer...

Not quite an apples-to-apples comparison.

ChatGPT4 Response:
Based on the weight within the S&P 500 Index, as of the most recent data available, here are the top 10 companies:
  1. Apple Inc. (AAPL) - 7.01%
  2. Microsoft Corporation (MSFT) - 6.96%
  3. Amazon.com, Inc. (AMZN) - 3.44%
  4. NVIDIA Corporation (NVDA) - 3.05%
  5. Alphabet Inc. (GOOGL) - 2.06%
  6. Meta Platforms, Inc. (META) - 1.96%
  7. Alphabet Inc. (GOOG) - 1.75%
  8. Tesla, Inc. (TSLA) - 1.71%
  9. Berkshire Hathaway Inc. (BRK.A) - 1.62%
  10. JPMorgan Chase & Co. (JPM) - 1.23%

Your ChatGPT4 data is badly out of date. TSLA hasn't been at 1.71% weight in the S&P 500 since Jan 02, 2024 (first trading day of the year).

Here's yesterday's data (Tesla regained 10th place yesterday over JPMorgan Chase; both Broadcom and ELY LILLY passed TSLA in Q1).

S&P 500 Index - Top 11 Company weights in Rank Order:

Rank
Company:
Ticker:
Weight:
1​
MICROSOFT CORP​
MSFT​
7.10%​
2​
APPLE INC​
AAPL​
6.21%​
3​
NVIDIA CORP​
NVDA​
4.58%​
4​
AMAZON.COM INC​
AMZN​
3.73%​
5​
ALPHABET INC CLASS A+C​
GOOG+L​
3.53%​
6​
META PLATFORMS INC CLASS A​
META​
2.51%​
7​
BERKSHIRE HATHAWAY INC CL B​
BRK.B​
1.75%​
8​
ELI LILLY + CO​
LLY​
1.44%​
9​
BROADCOM INC​
AVGO​
1.35%​
TESLA INC
TSLA
1.29%
11​
JPMORGAN CHASE + CO​
JPM​
1.24%​

Cheers to the REALTIMERS!

Last edited:
Is that an umbilical for power or data?
Installing hydrogen tanks and drivetrains, no doubt...

Yeah, that's a Tether which makes it easier to find the big parts after the H2 tank detonates... :p

(Figure.AI - data line? really? Never heard of wi-fi? Let's see it walk w/o that power cable!)

This isn't surprising. There was 0.0% chance Apple would build their own car. One less source of noise for Tesla

A project that's never been confirmed by Apple or its executives, has been declared dead, again, unconfirmed by said executives.

Enjoy this moment while it lasts. Tomorrow Pizza Hut is gonna join the race, according to people with knowledge of this matter.

If they want an EV they should just buy Rivian. At it's current valuation Apple could easily pay for it with cash! 😂

But Apple didn't want an EV; they wanted an Autonomous Vehicle (AV). They couldn't get the driving software to work. Here's but a small sample from my 'Greatest Promisses' list:
Manufacturing Partners: (or, the "Fantasy League")
Analyst DeFIBulator: (all porky-pies)
So that's the Short List of the Apple Car Killers:
  • Gene Munster
  • Dan Ives
  • Craig Irwin
  • Adam Jonas
Today, we close the Apple car saga with this article from appleinsider.com

Cheers to the Longs!

Last edited:
If they want an EV they should just buy Rivian. At it's current valuation Apple could easily pay for it with cash! 😂
Margins.

Tim and Apple live in a world of high margins, any product that lowers average profit margin is an issue. When Tesla started dropping prices, and CATL announced cheaper lithium cells, it affected the equation. The TV was a an example of why projects get cancelled, the M series chips are a positive example. At one point in early 2014, c level folks thought that their expertise in battery (laptops and phones) could be leveraged... this just after a $1B goofup on huge sapphire furnaces. Lots of arrogant thinking and poor vision despite the very talented engineers.

Blame or credit Elon, lower margins at Tesla has hurt the stock value but devastated the competition. RIP Apple Titan