Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not political, purely relating to Tesla. That is my intention anyway, apologies if any of this reads as overtly political bias.

Elon meeting with Trump: Why do it? Maybe game theory this one.

Despite ones personal opinion of Trump, there is a non-zero chance (maybe even 50/50 on current polling) that he wins in November.

Currently Trump has a very negative view on EVs in general, and in the past on Elon specifically as well as Tesla in passing.

Elon has already over the past year or two increasingly been labeled as a supporter/publicist of some conservative voices and issues, so meeting with Trump perhaps doesn’t appreciably change that narrative at all for most people.

Upside: Elon meeting with Trump, and perhaps agreeing to help in some manner (X promotion, donating to PACs rather than directly to candidate etc, Elon continuing to personally criticize dem candidates/policies on X) means Trump may stop trash talking EVs/Tesla, and be less of a negative impact on Tesla if he wins the election. Maybe he wasn’t even there to offer anything, but instead just trying to educate Trump on the merits of EVs & Tesla for the American economy. Also for Elon personally it is important he has a good relationship with the person who controls SpaceX’s biggest external customer (the government via NASA & DoD). Also, as many here have said in the past, it may gain some conservative buyers for Tesla.

Downside: There might be slightly more people with a negative opinion of Elon, and perhaps Tesla, due to perception he is supporting Trump.

Also think of it the other way, If Elon didn’t engage with Trump, and Trump wins in November, what is the worst case scenario if Trump is still very anti-EV/Tesla/Elon with his policies? Perhaps that is worth trying to avoid, even if public image takes another hit with liberals (of which many already have a negative view anyway).

Why do it now? The last couple of weeks has vastly increased the odds that Trump is on the ballot in November, due to favorable US Supreme Court actions, and Trump won primaries at a rate that it is apparent he will be the nominee. One can argue it is better to get in early once it is apparent he is the candidate.

These will cost billions of capex and create new lines with higher COGS per car. Expect lower free cash flow and profits. Plus, it's expansion just to make more cars without customers. Prices will drop and margins will shrink further.

Overhyped disappointment

Will not produce significant cash flow for at least 18 months

Yawn. Also nobody knows this, so it does not matter unless advertisement increases

Will not produce significant cash flow for at least 18 months

Still vaporware. Also 4 years late

Irrelevant to TSLA
I guess someone changed their tune on TSLA.

Not political, purely relating to Tesla. That is my intention anyway, apologies if any of this reads as overtly political bias.

Elon meeting with Trump: Why do it? Maybe game theory this one.

Despite ones personal opinion of Trump, there is a non-zero chance (maybe even 50/50 on current polling) that he wins in November.

Currently Trump has a very negative view on EVs in general, and in the past on Elon specifically as well as Tesla in passing.

Elon has already over the past year or two increasingly been labeled as a supporter/publicist of some conservative voices and issues, so meeting with Trump perhaps doesn’t appreciably change that narrative at all for most people.

Upside: Elon meeting with Trump, and perhaps agreeing to help in some manner (X promotion, donating to PACs rather than directly to candidate etc, Elon continuing to personally criticize dem candidates/policies on X) means Trump may stop trash talking EVs/Tesla, and be less of a negative impact on Tesla if he wins the election. Maybe he wasn’t even there to offer anything, but instead just trying to educate Trump on the merits of EVs & Tesla for the American economy. Also for Elon personally it is important he has a good relationship with the person who controls SpaceX’s biggest external customer (the government via NASA & DoD). Also, as many here have said in the past, it may gain some conservative buyers for Tesla.

Downside: There might be slightly more people with a negative opinion of Elon, and perhaps Tesla, due to perception he is supporting Trump.

Also think of it the other way, If Elon didn’t engage with Trump, and Trump wins in November, what is the worst case scenario if Trump is still very anti-EV/Tesla/Elon with his policies? Perhaps that is worth trying to avoid, even if public image takes another hit with liberals (of which many already have a negative view anyway).

Why do it now? The last couple of weeks has vastly increased the odds that Trump is on the ballot in November, due to favorable US Supreme Court actions, and Trump won primaries at a rate that it is apparent he will be the nominee. One can argue it is better to get in early once it is apparent he is the candidate.
I honestly don't think Elon cares about the trash talk, but what he wants is the red tape cut so he can build and innovate rather than fight the DOJ and feds at every step.

Patronis, the Florida "Fire Marshall"/CFO, who has zero experience in Fire and no education in Finance is also talking trash about EVs. Patronis also traded TSLA and made good money on the COVID trade. Patronis is a 3rd generation multi-millionaire from the restaurant biz/land speculation and a Rick Scott appointee and absolute local stooge.
Last evening, my congressman complained on Fox Business about EVs. I wrote him to counter some of his arguments, but it likely did no good. Rather than noting that fire departments may be unprepared for EV fires, he should be telling us what the government can do to get them properly trained.

refers to deleted text

You know...managing money, when its a lot, is tough especially in regards to incentives and expectations from others put onto an individual with wealth (from what I've learned at a very minor level). $150B+ is a lot. Then, tack on ...6 companies as a CEO/Chairman. How about 9 kids (or at least as many as we know about) across how many women?

I think he's doing fine in terms of productivity and keeping his head above water and testing his vision and motivation for what he wants to do. A lot of people, myself included, decide to put on the brakes at some point and lose vision and motivation. Some try to bring it back, but usually it's some bizzaro-version of that initial focus of vision and motivation from before. Very few can pivot and retain vision and motivation in a completely new way and redefine them IMO.

In short, he's my type of nuts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last evening, my congressman complained on Fox Business about EVs. I wrote him to counter some of his arguments, but it likely did no good. Rather than noting that fire departments may be unprepared for EV fires, he should be telling us what the government can do to get them properly trained.

It's too late to edit, but I wanted to add that a few minutes ago I received a phone call from the congressman's staff. My earlier message to Steube presented a long list of arguments for promoting EVs and fighting climate change. The caller wanted to know if I had anything to add. I answered that Steube is behaving like a Luddite.

I guess someone changed their tune on TSLA.

Their posts have always seemed as rational and fact based as possible. Folks whose opinions change when the facts do should be praised, but that often does not seem the case here.

Note nothing in there suggests Tesla is doomed or anything- simply that we are, as Tesla themselves have told us but some folks in here keep wanting to deny or downplay, in a significant lull in growth. for the next year or two compared to previous. Delivery data and EPS estimates from multiple sources (including apparently Teslas own IR team) all show this so far as well. And the share price is likely to reflect that for a good while.

No kidding, no market for Model 2?

I don't see where he said that? First there is no such vehicle, Elon himself was clear they're not making anything called that--- for another the only market comment made was about Shanghai expansion, which AFAIK is not for a new model at all but more of existing ones whose growth is already largely plateauing.

Open_Ai How much of it is owned by EM?

0.00%

Not everyone’s purpose is to make the most money in the shortest period of time. Indeed, a rational person would argue that history shows that to even attempt such a thing is one of the fastest ways to a cardboard box under a bridge.

So, no. It’s not a disservice to compare one’s yearly returns against other investments they didn’t invest in. 🙄

What is appropriate is to invest in what a person believes to be a good ‘investment’. That means putting a piece of their savings/money they don’t need in a venture/a business/a vehicle that will, OVER AN EXTENDED PERIOD OF TIME, return a larger amount of money back to them.

Regardless of the crock of excrement being flung all over the Internet, Tesla is a very good company to invest in. Anyone who says otherwise is either woefully ignorant or part of the excrement flinging.

Tesla is well below the returns of SPY and QQQ since the 5-for-1 stock split of August 2020.

3.5 years is a not a short amount of time for a lot of people.

Their posts have always seemed as rational and fact based as possible. Folks whose opinions change when the facts do should be praised, but that often does not seem the case here.

Note nothing in there suggests Tesla is doomed or anything- simply that we are, as Tesla themselves have told us but some folks in here keep wanting to deny or downplay, in a significant lull in growth. for the next year or two compared to previous. Delivery data and EPS estimates from multiple sources (including apparently Teslas own IR team) all show this so far as well. And the share price is likely to reflect that for a good while.

I don't see where he said that? First there is no such vehicle, Elon himself was clear they're not making anything called that--- for another the only market comment made was about Shanghai expansion, which AFAIK is not for a new model at all but more of existing ones whose growth is already largely plateauing.

0.00%
I think opinions change more when the SP changes, not facts.