Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The going under the speed limit issue is pretty widely reported. Elon even acknowledged it quoting Whole Mars.
I don't doubt it, but I've also seen an old one corrected. All past FSD runs on Rural going North have gone 25 in a 45 until it saw the 45 sign halfway down the street. Now it starts at 45 from the street crossing where it should start.

I also noticed I can add some speed and it will stay there for a while, above the limit, and very slowly will bleed off speed, almost unnoticeably. I have yet to try this I-10 overpass on Ray Rd. eastbound where it used to slow to about 5 and no cars around. Silly spots.

• Informative
Reactions: SunCatcher
I have EAP and have upcoming Service. If they give me a car with FSD and a quick tutorial, it would be helpful. I’ve read many posts and watched videos about it, but have been waiting to see the preponderance of users be happy w it before I consider forking over the extra $ to upgrade. At some point I know we are going to need it as we are on the other side of the hill so to speak.. unless neuralink advances so quickly that they start marketing network enhancements to aging boomers:)
A quick round the block in car tutorial of FSD might have pushed me to buy the demo car and leave my 2016 MX behind...

Reactions: capster and Skipdd
Hopefully 12.3.2 can do what 12.3.1 didn't. It's especially bad if FSD thinks the speed limit is slow from bad reading or map data like 25 in a 55...you set it to 55, but v12 wants to go under the limit at 23-24 mph. The only options are to force the speed with the pedal or disengage.

Is 12.3.1 already different/worse than 12.3 in this regard?

I have 12.3, and it (along with all previous versions I have used) would increase speed in these instances when I used the scroll wheel. My commute has that exact scenario-- speed limit is 55, but on some sections of the road, the map data must tell the car the limit is 25. I know where those spots are, and just hit the scroll wheel upward to maintain speed. No need for the pedal and no need to disengage...

HOWEVER, when I tried out the new "Automatic Set Speed Offset" option, that completely got rid of my ability to adjust the speed settings with the scroll wheel (at least as far as I could tell)...so I disabled that setting as soon as I saw how poorly that worked out in those 25 in a 55 areas.

Last edited:
I haven't had any speed issues myself personalty. If anything I think sometimes the car punches too hard off the line especially when there's an intersection ahead needs stopping or slowing. I haven't had any too close to the curb or not lane keeping correctly issues either.

Definitely agree on the "punches too hard off the line." I have all my settings on Chill, but the car likes to accelerate hard for my taste (I want to maximize tire life with gentle driving), and like you noted, keeps accelerating and/or maintaining speed a bit too long when there's a stop ahead...resulting in harder Regen and/or braking (again, making me think it's costing a bit of tire and brake life).

Maybe FSD needs an "ultra chill" or maybe even a "maximize my tire and brake life" setting that will decrease the acceleration and "think ahead" a bit to favor coasting over Regen, and favor Regen over mechanical braking. It should also know when Regen is limited on cold mornings and compensate accordingly. I'd imagine all of this should boost efficiency and real-world range too...

Last edited:
ASS in final review, projected to launch in the middle of April. Also Canada getting 12.3.2 guaranteed.

Some other useful information in that thread:

- Refresh Model 3 will be getting it's first FSD Beta software within the next week
- Tesla are trying to implement a method to be able to perform camera calibration within the factory without adding miles to the vehicle odometer
- Tesla is aiming to update the factory software build to a version that has a v12 FSD Beta build on it. Once done, newly built production vehicles will already have FSD Beta software installed, and ready to go as long as cameras are calibrated.

I think we are in for another Elon "fix it" moment. It will be a bit messy and Tesla will look silly, but in a few months we have forgotten about it and they got calibration down from ~40km to 50m.

When you do camera orientation estimation aka calibration you are looking for stable key points that are seen by multiple cameras, then do a simple least square on it. The more data the better the accuracy. With video and 8 cameras in they will be getting so many keypoints. From the old autonomy day 1 video they were likely getting thousands of keypoints per frame, today it likely is higher with HW4. With photon counts it may be slightly different most of the feature extraction methods are for RGB not for photon count, but the neural network models should probably generalise to them. At 30frames per second in minutes they should amass millions of keypoints and precision should be getting very good at getting the calibration matrices.

Imo what's needed is basically:
1. the car needs to move around
2. the environment needs to be detailed in all directions

Not sure what more is needed or why this has to happen in multiple type of environments. Guess the long range camera needs a few long range objects, maybe these are more common on highways?!

Or make the environment move around. Just put the car in a box with tv screens an simulate a driving environment as last step of the production process.

Or make the environment move around. Just put the car in a box with tv screens an simulate a driving environment as last step of the production process.
1711439074913.png

This part of the factory needs a soft/hard-ware upgrade to speedup/skipp the calibration process done by customers

View attachment 1032180
This part of the factory needs a soft/hard-ware upgrade to speedup/skipp the calibration process done by customers

IIRC, the onboard computer is powered up very early in the production process, so just moving around in the factory may yield enough data for the calibration process.

Seriously, how much would you pay for FSD?
I tried V12.3 and it is awesome and the future looks bright, but the price... $12000 (and rumored to become $15000 soon, is really too much.
I personally won't buy it, and neither subscript it for $199 for a couple months for my Model Y.
My bottom line will be $60/month, similar to Home Internet/Mobile Data Plan's monthly charge. Or $6000 lifetime, and must be transferrable to new owner if I sell the car.
That is required for real general public adoption. I don't think the target customer group of $25000 Model 2 are willing to pay $12000 or $199/month.

That brings concerns to me. Here we are all excited about FSD and hope it will give some vibe to stock price (e.g., $176.5 premarket price now). However, how much revenue will it actually bring to Tesla? I am afraid not as much as Elon is expecting.

Last edited:
IIRC, the onboard computer is powered up very early in the production process, so just moving around in the factory may yield enough data for the calibration process.
Let's hope so.

End result:
2024: cars drive themselves from the end-of-inspection line to the parking lot with ASS

2026: cars drive themselves from the end-of-inspection line to customers across the US using wireless charging at parking lots. Tesla automated car registration, insurance,.. all the paper work done while the car is being build.
Your new freshly build car arrives at your doorstep autonomously (for those who are wealthy enough to buy the tech instead of renting)

Last edited: