Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Indeed. And I think I quite clearly argued for why Ross criticizing a company they invest in may benefit his clients / shareholders
Ross acting like an idiot on X and being ratio'ed doesn't help his clients at all.

, whereas I think Musk calling him an idiot benefits no one.
Well it gave me some laughs, so it benefited me. But more seriously, Musk doesn't suffer fools, that's why he's successful, seeing him being himself reassures me Tesla is in good hands.

he would come out as a humble and likeable guy.
You seriously think people is so easy to deceive that they'd mistake some corporate double talk for Musk speaking his mind?

The article also touches on all the Musk businesses expanding in Texas. I’m sick of Elon’s x’ ing about social and political issues, but I suppose I accept that it’s partly aimed at image building in Texas (whose culture I have zero understanding of). Kinda the flip side of CA peer pressure in the opposite direction.
So if you’re sick of ‘it’, then why do spend time and energy over there reading and thinking on it? And don’t give the canned answer about being an investor and needing to know ‘both sides’. That’s weak and being dishonest with yourself.

He’s not allowed to saying anything material about the company you’re invested in over there. And he’s been criticized for his tweets for over a decade and how they will or are negatively affecting the business. And yet, Tesla has grow like a weed, has impeccable, rock solid financials having navigated immense obstacles specific to them and also worldwide ones. Maybe. Just maybe what he says on his throne doesn’t actually mean all that much in the scheme of business execution, huh?

Hmm. So that's what is on Elon's mind?

Ford announcement incoming?

I think that is very likely in the "near" future. We know Ford is working on a car EV which they plan to use for Robotaxi, yet Ford is NOT working on autonomous driving software. Why would Ford build a car to be a Robotaxi without working on the software to enable it? Probably because they plan to license FSD from Tesla. 😎

I’m ok with paying 13K euro for a refurbished Model S battery, or couple of thousands more for a new one. But I don’t like the idea of getting only 2 years of warranty on that. In the worst (unlikely) case, it’s another 13K every 2 years. Tesla should give their customers peace of mind for such a big expense.
As I said, my solution this (maybe imagined) problem is to buy a new car with the latest tech and let somebody else worry about it.
So far I have ‘t seen any data on failure rates of Tesla battery packs as they age beyond the warranty lifetime. If I had that data maybe I would be more relaxed about it. Tesla has that data.
I doubt there are much in the way of statistics because the oldest modern Tesla (Model S) is only 12 years old. Tesla no doubt has statistics on infant mortality, but I'd guess so few batteries have failed from old age that the statistics so far are not significant. I recall that originally Tesla said they engineered the battery to last double the warranty (120,000 miles was the first mileage based warranty for the large batteries I can recall. The very first batteries were unlimited).

So a few things....

-do people expect the next growth phase to be driven by Model 2 (whatever it's going to be called)? If so, when do you expect that to meaningful contribute to the company? Because at last check, they have no planned space for where to build it. The process has not started in Mexico. It has taken Tesla 2-3 years from groundbreaking on a new factory to actually seeing vehicles come off the line that amount to more than a few hundred a week. So, if history repeats itself, it doesn't look like there will be volume production of a Model 2 until 2027 and that's if they hurry up and start building the factory in the next few months (Mexico, Austin expansion, etc.).

-You want Tesla to have a growth multiple as a growth company, you can't have them declining YoY (you said QoQ, but it's YoY that's the big story). Q124 is likely to be the 4th or 5th straight quarter of EPS decline. That doesn't exactly line up with a growth company from an investor perspective.

-If cash is doing so well, why no stock buy back? Why did they sell $3bn in bonds in the 2nd half of 2023? Kind of an odd juxtaposition, imo.
Why Everytime I see your posts am I reminded of this

I think that is very likely in the "near" future. We know Ford is working on a car EV which they plan to use for Robotaxi, yet Ford is NOT working on autonomous driving software. Why would Ford build a car to be a Robotaxi without working on the software to enable it? Probably because they plan to license FSD from Tesla. 😎
Cause Blue's Cruise is waaaayyyyy ahead of FSD, i don't know how much clearer this can get!!! /s

to be clear, just the announcement in the next year or so IMO would be a long shot. But **IF** that happens, I'd expect Ford to be first. They have the most to lose due to the whole truck being the cornerstone of their profit (well at least the financing of the truck).
I wouldn't be surprised if we see some kind of tentative agreement sooner. Both Ford and Tesla stock would get a nice big lift.

What would be the downside for Ford? I only see upside.

Yeah. Let's say Ford announces they are going with Tesla. What does Mary do?

A GM FSD announcement is the right move for her, but it will be a really hard pill to swallow. Either way she probably gets fired.

As the crippled GM Airship "PlanB" made altitude, Mary Barra was the one who led...

the march to the door where executives followed as she leapt from the craft in the hope her golden parachute would deploy.​

I have no idea who Dionne is.
I know the majority of battery’s which haven’t been constantly supercharged will last a long time.

However if my budget is buying used vehicles out of warranty would I take a risk buying an EV knowing a minority’s batteries will fail and it will cost me say half the cost of the car to replace it ?
I don’t know if you would or not. But I’ve taken a lot of chances on used ICE cars that I had no idea if an old lady or a Carole Shelby type drove them. No idea if the oil got changed regularly or just the day before it went on sale.

What’s your point? You do you, just don’t assume everyone is you. Clearly people TODAY are buying used EVs, even ones out of warranty.

I believe Tesla is the leader, by a country mile, in battery technology and related like BMS. I believe they’ve been taking steps all along (and we have proof) to protect their batteries from indiscriminate users and useage. I’d buy used Teslas all day long, every day. But you buy new. That adds to the pool of available EVs and it is one step closer to the goal. It’s all good.

I don’t know if you would or not. But I’ve taken a lot of chances on used ICE cars that I had no idea if an old lady or a Carole Shelby type drove them. No idea if the oil got changed regularly or just the day before it went on sale.

What’s your point? You do you, just don’t assume everyone is you. Clearly people TODAY are buying used EVs, even ones out of warranty.

I believe Tesla is the leader, by a country mile, in battery technology and related like BMS. I believe they’ve been taking steps all along (and we have proof) to protect their batteries from indiscriminate users and useage. I’d buy used Teslas all day long, every day. But you buy new. That adds to the pool of available EVs and it is one step closer to the goal. It’s all good.

For a long while I wouldn't buy a car with less than 100K miles on it. (then would drive it to 200 or 300K miles)

I preferred a vehicle that had proven itself to be free of nagging issues.

Random thought: I really don’t think FSD will enable the current S3XY fleet to become robotaxis. FSD is showing great progress but SEXY have no electronic steering redundancy. The redundancy is just the driver taking over. It could be that the Cybertruck is the first viable robotaxi because of its multiple steering actuators. So it’s not as simple as “flipping a switch” imo.

Hmm. So that's what is on Elon's mind?

Ford announcement incoming?
Me thinks that with this month's free FSD lollapalooza, Tesla will gather 1000's x more FSD data. Easily. Eventually, FSD gets to V13.
Ford licenses that V13 which will be the end of the rest that don't have FSD.

You either license FSD from TESLA or die. Hardware becomes less relevant.