Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is not a concern. Every battery cost metric is on a downhill path.

Tesla and its battery partners are expanding their production capabilities. This has been in the planning and construction phases for years now. It takes time to bring online.

All manufacturers are facing the same battery availability problem, and many have cancelled their battery production plans. Tesla purchased equipment from one of these cancellations by a legacy brand and is installing a new line in Nevada.

Meanwhile, Tesla's work with Jeff Dahn has resulted in chemistries that have improved characteristics, including longevity.

Maybe the stock price is low and as a result your fears have nurtured a talent for making up horror stories.
To put this in perspective, when I purchased a 2001 and later 2004 Prius, All the pundits agreed battery replacement would cost $10,000. When the time came to replace the battery on the 2001 (ten years later), it was $3,000 installed. The battery is just not something I'm concerned about on a Tesla. The 2013 had seven years and 130,000 miles and was down about 8% when I traded it in for the X (mainly to get the additional safety features and the falcon wing doors so my friends wouldn't bump their heads on entry and exit.) I don't doubt the battery will last the next owner another ten years.

- First production line is in Austin so the engineers can work out the kinks and optimize it. Second line will be in Giga Mexico once the Austin line design is complete and working optimally. Then likely Shanghai and Berlin will also follow. This is the plan according to Tesla and Elon directly.
Good summary. I would add GigaShanghai Phase 3 expansion explicitly built for Model 2 began in 2021, was put on the backburner, and was reinvigorated end of last year. It is quite possible Shanghai quickly follows the pilot production in Austin. We have seen how quickly they move in China, and if the factory is already built, setting up and ramping the lines will be rapid. https://carnewschina.com/2023/12/06...ase-3-expansion-to-produce-25000-usd-vehicle/

As along term lurker and a share holder, I watch the current turmoil with some distress and interest!

It seems that the narrow range has not helped the sales or perception of Tesla - it has always felt dangerous to me to rely on virtually one model in a few variations and colours.

As other car companies seem to incessantly produce 'variations on a theme', I do not understand why Tesla doesn't do something similar. It would presumably be fairly easy to produce station wagon versions of the Model S and 3 with 95% carry over. Ditto a van version and a more squared-off SUV for the Model Y. Maybe convertibles (easier than with an ICE car?) of the MS and M3. Off-road versions with bodywork changes and higher suspension etc. Van version of the CT......And so on

Surely these 'cosmetic' changes would broaden the Tesla appeal and be profitable, increase sales and broaden appeal and exposure? I know that Tesla wants to simplify and focus but hasn't that been detrimental in a different way?
You must be new to Tesla. Many of your questions stem from a pure unknowing of the car industry on all levels, Tesla’s role in changing the world, and how best to go about it and not go bankrupt in the process.

Suggest you start at the beginning of this thread for background information on all of the above. Your questions will be answered many times over along the way.

As would be expected, there are a lot of people who haven't been able to follow the company closely enough to realize the current lows are NOT an indicator of a repeat of 2022. The macro factors that led to a market downturn then are not present now.

On the contrary, the current ambiguity of TSLA is likely more associated with TSLA's penchant for periods of stagnation between SP launches to orbit.

When in doubt, zoom out.

Then, return you seat back to its full, upright position, stow your tray, and buckle up.

HODL

BYD is massively expanding and IMO all good for Tesla as this will not only accelerate the transition to sustainable energy/transportation, but also eliminate the not-so-good supposed competitive EVs cluttering/confusing the US market.

There are strong indications Tesla is coming to play in Thailand soon. Problem for BYD is that they don't have a CEO who was prescient enough to make a tank that could sell millions of units a year as a rolling billboard

Please. You excused Ross his actions because his business is small and he needs to drum up attention through antics to stay alive while Elon bad all around.
Indeed. And I think I quite clearly argued for why Ross criticizing a company they invest in may benefit his clients / shareholders, whereas I think Musk calling him an idiot benefits no one. I don't want to presume that you think anything Musk does is genius, so feel free to explain how you see Musk's tweet being beneficial.

Any halfwit communications manager could have help Musk craft a more clever answer, if he felt he had to answer that at all. Something like "Ross Gerber is since long an investor in Tesla and I appreciate his input and engagement. While this is not the place to comment on all issues he brings forward, I'd like to point out that Q1 was a particular demanding quarter for almost all car manufacturers, irrespective of strategies chosen." This would make the same point but instead of people feeling that Musk is a douchebag, he would come out as a humble and likeable guy.

I don't understand why so many of you keep defending what is so obviously stupidities from Musk.

That’s the number one thing Tesla has to fix. I recently got a questionnaire from Tesla on the occasion of my Model 3 getting 6 old, and I that’s exactly what I mentioned in the freeform comments: Tesla should make battery repairs cheaper, and give a longer warranty after replacing a battery. The reason is that as an individual you either get lucky with your battery repair/replacement or not. If you have no luck, it gets very costly and those individuals can really spoil the situation with such horror stories. Tesla can solve this by a longer warranty, eliminating the battery gamble.
Disclosure: This was one of the top reasons why I got a new Model S after 8 years, I didn’t want to do the battery gamble. But whoever bought my car is doing dat gamble.
Without change in policy, my Model 3 will also be replaced by the time it’s 8 years.
Note that neither of those cars had any signs of a bad battery, it’s just risk management from my side. TBH, also combined with lust for something new and shiny.
Meh. People do the same with their ICE vehicles. They get to a certain age or mileage, the vehicle comes out of warranty and they dump it because they’re afraid of the unknown. I’ve bought those kinds of vehicles my whole life for a pittance and run them into the ground over a period of years.

Unless there’s real life factual information that Tesla batteries are suddenly going to croak at a certain point in their life, I’ll keep my Tesla for the duration. If taken care of, an ICE lasts 12-15 yrs on average. I’ve taken care of my Tesla for 6 years so far - you know, tires, one air filter, some wiper fluid and don’t let it sit fully charged nor discharge it to 0 - so I’ll get back to you in 6 more years to let you know how it turned out. I’m eternally hopeful.

Meh. People do the same with their ICE vehicles. They get to a certain age or mileage, the vehicle comes out of warranty and they dump it because they’re afraid of the unknown. I’ve bought those kinds of vehicles my whole life for a pittance and run them into the ground over a period of years.

Unless there’s real life factual information that Tesla batteries are suddenly going to croak at a certain point in their life, I’ll keep my Tesla for the duration. If taken care of, an ICE lasts 12-15 yrs on average. I’ve taken care of my Tesla for 6 years so far - you know, tires, one air filter, some wiper fluid and don’t let it sit fully charged nor discharge it to 0 - so I’ll get back to you in 6 more years to let you know how it turned out. I’m eternally hopeful.
Correct, IMHO. I didn't trade the 2013 because of fear, only greed for new features and accessibility.

Yes, but the fact they’re recessed and low so therefore prone to getting filled with slush (not mentioned in this review) is also the stuff that makes Tesla, Tesla - the California/Texas company.

This has the potential to be a significant problem here where we have a combination of few daylight hours combined with messy, slushy roads on a frequent basis. Less of a concern in town where it’s easy to find somewhere safe to pull over to clean them. Potentially quite dangerous on long stretches of highway, in the dark, in not great driving conditions with nowhere safe to easily pull over for many miles. That’s my primary style of driving so it is a concern for me. YMMV.

I’ll be looking for reports of how this plays out next winter before committing to fulfill my early reservation. Hopefully it’s a nothingburger like the centre screen, lack of driver’s binnacle, yoke, etc. all turned out to be.
No worries. I’ll report back on real life mountain adventures. 😉

You need more context to determine if Ross is an idiot!? Well, ok then.

Since BYD is the only other company even in the same stratosphere as Tesla concerning EVs, and the one publicly being flogged benchmarked against Tesla, then it’s exactly the correct comparison by Elon. There’s some context for you.
It’s 100% a correct comparison for the Chinese market yup, where BYD operates almost exclusively.

I think we know what Ross believes the board problems are, whether accurate or not, and they are not applicable to the market within which BYD operates almost exclusively.

Can only imagine Ross thinks Tesla is executing as good as can be expected in China and that there’s probably not much else to do in that realm, good luck dealing with the CCP to affect change in their economy or gross overbuilding of EV capacity.

The article also touches on all the Musk businesses expanding in Texas. I’m sick of Elon’s x’ ing about social and political issues, but I suppose I accept that it’s partly aimed at image building in Texas (whose culture I have zero understanding of). Kinda the flip side of CA peer pressure in the opposite direction.

• Funny
Reactions: ShareLofty
After noticing the greenish shade of the chairs this morning I thought someone should bring some coffee to the interns on the market floor before they lose their jobs.

Then, it occurred to me how providing a tiny bit of hope today will make it easier to scare the few remaining weak hands tomorrow when their hopes are dashed and they let fear rule their investment strategy by selling their chairs at bargain basement prices.

What can I say? These playuhs are pros and know how to milk every share possible from those who invest financially on a whim, a hope, and a prayer, but do not invest their time in order to evaluate the company.

Based upon the trading volume of late it would seem that the well of shares from the weak hands may be drying up.

Perhaps it is time to get that bull's attention? Where's the matador with the red cape?

HODL

Companies with $30bn in cash on hand don't typically sell $3bn worth of bonds. No one has been able to explain this.
You mean the ABS, asset backed securities, bonds against leases that Tesla sold in July of last year? Yeah, completely normal for a company in the automotive business, GM and Ford both sell ABS bonds and have $20B/$40B in cash.

They had taken a break and held on to the assets when the market for them was down for a couple years, and first sold them again in 23Q3...

This pending India Giga announcement, which seems to be moving at a glacial pace, is the only one that I think will move the stock in a meaningful way outside of FSD hitting 1000+ miles to critical DE.

It’s not the right time for Tesla to start another factory construction - clearly given Mexico delay. So glacial pace it is for now.

This is placing the dominos time. We’ve been here before. Patience.

With the robo-tax discussion eliminating uber drivers and governments not caring, has there been discussions if BYD starts building cars in Mexico? They can probably undercut on price current EV makers and outside of Made in China hate (which maybe similar to how much Elon hate affects sales), probably hard for buyers if one can get an EV with subsidies for $15k-$20k. This would completely compete with Model 2 sales. Not to mention, everything is made in China already so maybe people won't care if they can get cheap EVs.

BYD has stated they have no plans to sell cars in America (take it for what it is worth). BYD is not stupid, they read the political news too.

Reactions: shrspeedblade
I spoke with someone I know very well from Tesla, and they gave me some insight on why sales are down right now. This doesn't explain all the sales drop, but is part of the reason sales in NA are falling like a rock.

At the end of last year, they rolled out a new call routing service. If you call your local Tesla, you get routed to a central call center now. The people that staff the call center are not passionate nor knowledgable about the products, nor do they really know local conditions. The person told me that after the system was rolled out, the leads they got dropped like a rock. Showrooms started going emptier and the there was a noticeable difference. The whole idea was that people would buy online and not need help, but if there was a need for help, someone would always pick up in the call center. But buying a car is a very big proposition, and most older generations are not comfortable buying online. Instead of getting someone local who knows the product back and forth and can guide them through the buying process, you get a apathetic call center people who answer some questions but don't really sell the benefits of the Tesla experience.

The person I talked to is someone I've known for years, and is someone I trust very much. They were adamant that this experience was part of the reason that their region in NA missed targets by over 50%. I didn't believe it but I tried it myself. I called the call center and this was what I got:

1. Person said that most of the Model Ys were built in Texas (not Fremont)
2. I asked if a SR Model Y was a structural pack and they had no clue what it was
3. I asked about the charging rate for a SR Model Y, and they had no clue. Had to look it up and told me it was 40 mph (wrong, that's for the LR)
4. Asked if I could schedule a test drive, and they told me to do it online (what if I was old?)

If you don't believe me you can try for yourself, would love to get some confirmations. Worst part about it is this apparently is some middle management's pet project at Tesla and they are hiding the effects of it from Elon.
Did you Tweet this to Elon??

I don't understand why so many of you keep defending what is so obviously stupidities from Musk.

What if people aren't defending Elon, so much as accepting Elon.

Let he who has not recognized Ross as an idiot cast the first stone, eh?

Once I got used to the fact that this is how the man making the world a better place behaves, I find it easy to bear him letting off some steam.

Maybe, this behavior has more to do with why other company leaders aren't as successful than it is a fault for Elon?