Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How is investing on a thesis gambling? Expecting a stock to go down because of a valuation model is as much gambling as it's expecting it to go up based on an a valuation model. The stock is down 33% from when I started the short, how do you think I lost money?
Not commenting on whether you lost or made money, just the fact you're a gambler.

You don´t expect that personally (gut feeling) or what research is that based on?

Sales data from China. They're down 50% YoY for Q2 and further discounts. Also Troy's estimates, which have been the closest out of all analysts covering the stock when it comes to delivery numbers. His estimate (iirc) has them at 1.75m for the whole year in deliveries.

I find it heartening to know that even with tesla's car deliveries being sent thousands of miles out of their way due to houthis AND with people literally trying to blow up the power supply for the factories... they still manage to get through the quarter just fine.

A thought regarding training pickups/drop-offs. I suspect they don't need to do anything special here. There are already a bunch of people using a model 3 or Y as a taxi, and even ignoring that there are a ton of people using them to drop kids off at school and pick them up. Tesla already has a massive amount of data on how drivers behave when picking up/dropping people off.

Any challengers? This is current IRA. Wasn't there a 99% out there recently?

View attachment 1041153

I'm still expecting a down draft tomorrow, but quick then gone (total guess, expecting the worst).
It's like the axe murderer who you thought was dead in that movie... and he's back for the 4th time.

Florida or Russia? 🤣
Ah-ha! I'm guessing you're in Ontario then. (Or you're a darn good bilingual.) Did ya happen to visit those Gardens long ago?
I'm in Arizona USA, it was basically after the close. Poof! But there's one I see sticking around, trying to shake a few more perhaps.
Amateur.........
Screenshot 2024-04-24 8.00.56 AM.png

This I think is one of the main reasons why TSLA went up after the financials went out.

Terrible quarter, terrorist attack, shipping blockades, two new products ramping, poor sales, inventory buildup, and MASSIVE AI infrastructure capex and Tesla is STILL printing money. All while their big moneymaking businesses are either still growing (energy) or haven’t even started to grow yet.

Do people understand why Tesla is not just an automaker yet?

Sorry, have to point out a flaw in your logic - you say Tesla is printing money in spite of massive AI capex when they positive result was only before capex as @Robertj pointed out.

Sorry, have to point out a flaw in your logic - you say Tesla is printing money in spite of massive AI capex when they positive result was only before capex as @Robertj pointed out.

And that's a flawed way to look at Tesla's quarterly results. The main reason that free cash flow was down is a temporary inventory build increase due to logistics issues which were entirely force majeure. This was on the order of 2 billion dollars. Add that back in and redo your free cash flow numbers. Tesla probably gets this cash back within a month as vehicles which were in transit at the end of the quarter are delivered.

The larger and more important point is that Tesla is funding its own growth, including its AI play, through operations. Years ago Cathie Wood of ARK Invest said that she estimated Tesla would need to raise 40 billion dollars from the Market in order to fund autonomy. Instead Tesla is doing it out of working capital and free cash flow. That's the forest amongst the trees.

Can you articulate how having a valuation model that says the price of the stock is higher than the intrinsic value of the company (discounted future) is different than investing long based on a similar model that says the opposite (for another company) ?
Nope, I cant/wont. Again my point to you was simply that you sir, are a gambler. ;)

And that's a flawed way to look at Tesla's qua therterly results. The only reason that free cash flow was down is a temporary inventory build due to logistics issues which were entirely force majeure. This was on the order of 2 billion dollars. Add that back in and redo your free cash flow numbers. Tesla probably gets this cash back within a month as vehicles which were in transit at the end of the quarter are delivered.

The larger and more important point is that Tesla is funding its growth, including its AI play, through operations. Years ago Kathy would of ark invest said that she estimated Tesla would need to borrow raise on the order of 40 billion dollars from the market in order to fund autonomy. Instead Tesla is doing it out of working capital and free cash flow. That's the forest amongst the trees.

The nuance to this is that it all rests on demand. If they have to lower production in order to meet demand and not build inventory, then their cashflow doesn't magically improve by the number of cars they don't build. That's because part of that will be fixed costs, volume discounts etc. The huge drop in sales YoY from China (50% for the first 3 weeks of Q2) shows that this is not a logistics problem, but a demand problem.

The bolded part is the key here. There's no way to determine how far autonomy is because nobody has solved it the way Tesla are planning to. They might succeed or they might not.

Nope, I cant/wont.

QED. Then, no offense, but your opinion doesn't hold much value to me. ;)

Rookie numbers... I'm also 100% TSLA. 😺
Same here and been so since January 2012. My buy in then was somewhere under $2 split adjusted, I can't be bothered to calculate the % increase to date. I'm actually down millions from the all time high a couple of years back, but meh... Thankfully I'm too dumb to try timing markets or else would have billions by now, or much more likely, be broke lol!

Moderator note:
Less than half a day after the single most serious action I will undertake: locking down the thread for a spell so all can cool down AND ensure Moderator posts are followed, @raffiniert decided snarkiness and personal attacks were more important than getting banned.

I said discipline will be meted out publicly, and I meant it.

Can you articulate how having a valuation model that says the price of the stock is higher than the intrinsic value of the company (discounted future) is different than investing long based on a similar model that says the opposite (for another company) ?

What made you close your short yesterday before earnings? surely your model wouldn't have changed till after numbers were out? Has you model changed now and you are no longer short and are long?