Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What a way to live. Digging up negative stories. Other ways to enjoy life, bud.

I follow Troy on X and found his comments this morning interesting. I didn't "dig up" a negative story. Troy provides valuable information on production and delivery, much to the chagrin of some members here.

This is the investors thread. I would think many investors want to be aware of and perhaps discuss demand issues for Tesla, the company in which they have invested.

Plugging your head in the sand and hoping things turn out fine is not a prudent strategy, imo. You're free to do it, of course, just not sure why you're telling me not to share data in the investors thread.

So what's the consensus? Are we voting yes or no?
Yes of course on compensation. A deal is a deal. The court's findings seemed little better than a technicality despite the homer board makeup. No to Texas which is really, really not EV friendly, seems to know zero about good governance, and will continue to cause mischief re: the climate change fight. Looking for saner place for incorporation ? sure, but Texas is not saner than the other 49 in just about any category known to man. Except brisket.

I follow Troy on X and found his comments this morning interesting. I didn't "dig up" a negative story. Troy provides valuable information on production and delivery, much to the chagrin of some members here.

This is the investors thread. I would think many investors want to be aware of and perhaps discuss demand issues for Tesla, the company in which they have invested.

Plugging your head in the sand and hoping things turn out fine is not a prudent strategy, imo. You're free to do it, of course, just not sure why you're telling me not to share data in the investors thread.
Yea, sure. Just looking out for the investors. Keep telling yourself that.

1714742309537.png

I voted for reinstating Elon's compensation. Anything else would be theft, since we had already voted yes and he performed above the highest required level in the plan.

Do likewise everyone!

Schwab made it easy, Online chat gave me the link for voting within a few seconds. After I voted got an email with voting instructions so wouldn't have needed the chat in retrospect. If you don't get the email or can't find the link, ask online chat.

Last edited:
Yes of course on compensation. A deal is a deal. The court's findings seemed little better than a technicality despite the homer board makeup. No to Texas which is really, really not EV friendly, seems to know zero about good governance, and will continue to cause mischief re: the climate change fight. Looking for saner place for incorporation ? sure, but Texas is not saner than the other 49 in just about any category known to man. Except brisket.

It is interesting Texas is the largest crude and natural gas producing state in the nation. Accounted for 42% of the nation's crude in 2022 according to this.

Data from:

Yea, sure. Just looking out for the investors. Keep telling yourself that.
Everything Is Awesome in Tesla land, sure.

But as an investor with 15,000+ shares (that is, all my money in TSLA except for some Redwood Materials), I really want to know about what Troy and others have to say about 2024 Q2-Q4 sales. Especially if it's negative.

Thank you for the link @DarkandStormy

It is interesting Texas is the largest crude and natural gas producing state in the nation. Accounted for 42% of the nation's crude in 2022 according to this.

Data from:

Funny how you don't mention Texas is also the leading state in Solar and Wind energy production.

Or, that Tesla is the largest employer in the state's capital city.

Keep on sunworrying for us. What would we do without a non-investor consistently bringing the negative to the Investor's Roundtable forum?

Last edited:

Data from:
Not a coincidence of course and the heart of the power and culture of the place.
They can't even get their electrical grid to work properly, and the government turns paved roads back to gravel because it so hates the idea of spending tax money on road maintenance. So sure, it totally makes sense to incorporate the world's finest EV company in a state run by climate deniers and where the attorney general -- the state's top law enforcment officer! -- has been indicted for... wait for it.... securities fraud.
You can't make this stuff up.

If delivery’s are lower this year it will be funny seeing how they react.
Currently some are in the denial phase then they will start to make excuses, then say it doesn’t matter.

I am looking forward to next year, imo the key to increase sales will be if new models can be produced next year in sufficient numbers.

Which is why I will be watching for signs of actual production plans. I really hope on the 8/8 new models are announced and estimated production dates and numbers are given.

So what's the best explanation for the slowdown in Tesla's sales, when they keep lowering ASP and improving offering, while ICE sales don't drop as much/fast?

This scenario goes clearly against my bullish thesis and I'm unable to provide satisfying answers to the questions I get. I've ready the vast majority of posts in this thread but can't find a summary of the best arguments (by investors).

I know about the official reasons for the YoY issues – red sea conflict and arson attack – but the layoff we're hearing about seem far more structural than the "operational efficiency" program the management is telling us about.

Fair enough, when you put it like that, 40k cars is not that massive. Agreed. For what it's worth, I much like Tesla's model (and to some extent the Japanese way of building cars) than the European way where you can customize (and pay through the nose) for even the most basic functionality.
Agreed. Buying a BMW or Audi is an exercise in getting nickel-and-dime screwed with your pants on.

So my question of the day is, "What makes Elon so confident that Tesla in 2024 will beat 2023 deliveries?"

If he really is confident, my guess is that Elon is planning drastic price cuts. More drastic than anything we've seen so far. I can think of two reasons this will be possible:
1. Battery prices will continue to fall sharply.
2. Tesla can cut margins close to zero in order to collect FSD revenue later.

YES.
We cannot break a promise .
Yes, I wish Elon sold his shares differently than dumping in the open market . I wish he never bought the birdie. I wish he doesn’t tweet political stuff as he is the face of Tesla . But these issues don’t give us the right to break a deal once made in good faith and promised compensation .
We can always try to have the board draw up guidelines for handling of future compensation and share sale etc .
A promise is a promise and a Deal once made cannot be rescinded unilaterally .
Elon didn’t just get lucky with the Covid boom? Is the current stock price still high enough to warrant the full compensation package?

Apple has long term debt, $95 billion.
Borrowing money at 6% to buy stock back with a 30 p/e .
Amusing to say the least.

Do we know their LT debt is at 6%? Given how low interest rates were through much of their years of buybacks I'd find that surprisingly high.

That said, the stock is up almost 250% in the last 5 years, so seems buying back is a lot better return than paying off debt even AT 6%.