Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla V9 updates wifi only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently have not received any updates since my V9 upgrade at my local service center. I have contacted Tesla's support line in hopes of diagnosing my issue with the lack of updates. After the representative conferred with a tech it appears that updates on V9 moving forward can only happen on WIFI and not on LTE. This is a bit of a bummer for us condo/apartment dwellers that can't get reliable wifi in our garages. I feel like this technical decision breaks the promise of over the air updates ;-(

Perhaps the representative and tech were wrong in their view, has anyone received V9 upgrades over LTE?

Note: V8 updates used to come through to me over LTE, since V9 - nothing.

I recently have not received any updates since my V9 upgrade at my local service center. I have contacted Tesla's support line in hopes of diagnosing my issue with the lack of updates. After the representative conferred with a tech it appears that updates on V9 moving forward can only happen on WIFI and not on LTE. This is a bit of a bummer for us condo/apartment dwellers that can't get reliable wifi in our garages. I feel like this technical decision breaks the promise of over the air updates ;-(

Perhaps the representative and tech were wrong in their view, has anyone received V9 upgrades over LTE?

Note: V8 updates used to come through to me over LTE, since V9 - nothing.

Yes, I was very surprised to receive 2018.48.12.2 on 28th December 2018 over the car's LTE while staying over in a neighbouring country, though it was probably a very small differential from the previously running 48.12.1, maybe <100MB. Definitely impossible to have been on WiFi at the time.

One way to circumvent the lethargic LTE rollout of firmware if one doesn’t park in range of WiFi is to turn on your mobile phone’s WiFi hotspot (provided you have unlimited data) and connect the car to the phone for an extended drive.

I live in a condo and have been stuck on V8.1 up until about two weeks ago. After reaching out to service center I was informed I had to go in for the V9 update because of the “new maps.” I let him know I actually had “new maps” and they got back to me and finally pushed v9 OTA. I’m currently running 2018.48.12.1 for what it’s worth.

I will say it is a major frustration living in a condo where my car parks two stories underground (without any WiFi available). Would be great if we could just connect to WiFi and get an update on our own terms (not during an overnight cycle).

I live in a condo and have been stuck on V8.1 up until about two weeks ago. After reaching out to service center I was informed I had to go in for the V9 update because of the “new maps.” I let him know I actually had “new maps” and they got back to me and finally pushed v9 OTA. I’m currently running 2018.48.12.1 for what it’s worth.

I will say it is a major frustration living in a condo where my car parks two stories underground (without any WiFi available). Would be great if we could just connect to WiFi and get an update on our own terms (not during an overnight cycle).
One way to circumvent the lethargic LTE rollout of firmware if one doesn’t park in range of WiFi is to turn on your mobile phone’s WiFi hotspot (provided you have unlimited data) and connect the car to the phone for an extended drive.
I've tried this multiple times overnight while parking with no luck. Not sure if driving would make a difference though. Was told by the service center that signal not strong enough with cell phone tethering. I'm on 2018.44 and have almost given up on getting an update until my next service visit. I tried physically connecting my laptop to my cell phone and then using my laptop as the tethering device (thinking signal strength would be strong) with still no success. The whole extremely high "signal strength" requirement is pretty frustrating.... I can put my cell phone/laptop in the passenger seat (near the antenna) and still nothing.

Note that I was pushed version 9 over cellular after complaining that my Speedo screen was crashing while driving -- Version 9 did fix this issue.