Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Vision's Autopilot speed limit reduction from 90 -> 80 MPH has been a pain roadtripping across the country.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just finished a roadtrip across the country. From Florida to California. Taking I-10 nearly the entire way. For a vast majority of the length of I-10, the speed limit is 75. Which means people drive 85-90 in the fast lane. On the right lane, trucks average 67-70. Which means as someone who is locked to 80 MPH, you cannot coast in the fast lane. And you cannot stay in the right lane for longer than a couple minutes before getting stuck behind another truck. I found myself switching from the left lane as someone was speeding up on me, and when I hit a truck in the right. The implication of this speed limit change means you can't relax and are always on edge anticipating either one of two scenarios.

The release notes indicate that vision only is set for 80mph. In fact all those who have been testing FSD Beta since the last 12 months have noted it many times that it's locked to 80mph.

As FSD Beta gets more confident with vision only, I'm sure they will increase it back to 90mph.
Why are you telling me what I know? The documentation on this on Tesla’s pages are clear on this. I am telling you the real world implications of the change.

I just finished a roadtrip across the country. From Florida to California. Taking I-10 nearly the entire way. For a vast majority of the length of I-10, the speed limit is 75. Which means people drive 85-90 in the fast lane. On the right lane, trucks average 67-70. Which means as someone who is locked to 80 MPH, you cannot coast in the fast lane. And you cannot stay in the right lane for longer than a couple minutes before getting stuck behind another truck. I found myself switching from the left lane as someone was speeding up on me, and when I hit a truck in the right. The implication of this speed limit change means you can't relax and are always on edge anticipating either one of two scenarios.
I know you can toggle off FSD, but I don't know if it would give you the "old AP" speed limit of 90 if you do. Might be worth a try for a mostly highway trip.

Why are you telling me what I know? The documentation on this on Tesla’s pages are clear on this. I am telling you the real world implications of the change.
So .. your point is what? Tesla have said it's temporary until they are sure that it is safe to increase the limit. And as a result you have to??? Change lanes more than you want when going 10 mph over the speed limit? Hmm .. ok.

Definitely tried this. It doesn’t work. 80 MPH is vision related, not tied to FSD
Do you only get this software update when you have purchased FSD or subscribed to it? I just got an update this weekend it has not change the AP speed limit. This morning I set it to 82-85 as usual. I don't have FSD, just EAP.

The other thing I noticed is that my other Tesla with HW3 has been acting strange with AP following distance last month or 2 with software updates. By strange, I mean it is inconsistent. For the last 4 years, we had the distance set at 4 and left it at that. For the last 2 months, we have to keep adjusting it from 4 to 2 to 7.. and none of them work well at different speed. I wonder if this is because it is doing vision only. My other car with HW2.5 does not do that.

Reactions: Bilen
The reduced speed limit is a result of Tesla switching to "TeslaVision", which is a fancy way of saying they stopped using radar+cameras and switched to cameras only for AP/NoA/FSD beta. No-one knows for certain, but this may have been triggered by supply chain issues (could not get enough hardware radar modules), but it was probably already planned, since it would allow them to reduce costs on the cars (and, probably, reduce some of the phantom braking issues).

So, cars built without radar hardware (Model Y mostly) must use TeslaVision, and do so right now. This is not connected with the FSD beta in any way. However, since TeslaVision is an integral part of the FSD beta stack, then FSD beta is also limited in the same way, even on cars with radar hardware. Note though that, at the present time, FSD beta cars are running two stacks at the same time: the FSD beta stack and the legacy (production) AP stack, and they switch between them: legacy AP stack on freeways, FSD beta everywhere else.

So, if you have dont have radar hardware, you are using TeslaVision all the time, and will be limited by the temporary 80 mph limit in all cases. If you do have radar hardware (most other cars, though some newer model 3 may have dropped it), then you will not be limited to 80 mph except if you have the FSD beta in which case you will be limited by TeslaVision on city streets, but not on freeways (where you are using the legacy AP stack). Of course, since FSD beta only handles non-freeway driving, the 80 mpg limits is hardly a limitation in this case.

The long-term plan, as I understand it, is (a) to switch all cars to use the new TesalVision stack exclusively (and retire radar usage entirely, even on cars with the hardware), (b) to relax the 80 mph limit as/when TeslaVision is sufficiently mature and (c) replace the legacy AP stack with the FSD stack for all driving tasks (freeways and city streets, though you will still need to pay the extra $$ to access the FSD features).

No-one knows for certain, but this may have been triggered by supply chain issues (could not get enough hardware radar modules), but it was probably already planned, since it would allow them to reduce costs on the cars (and, probably, reduce some of the phantom braking issues).

Elon tweeted about this change before it actually happened on the Model Y earlier this CY. This had nothing to do with supply chain. It was a strategic direction. Elon indicated that trying to merge both Radar data and Vision is causing issues (ie, think of those fantom braking that we've all had with NoA).

Reactions: lUtriaNt
Elon tweeted about this change before it actually happened on the Model Y earlier this CY. This had nothing to do with supply chain. It was a strategic direction. Elon indicated that trying to merge both Radar data and Vision is causing issues (ie, think of those fantom braking that we've all had with NoA).
Er yeah. I think that's pretty much what I said.

Reactions: trisk
If you do have radar hardware (most other cars, though some newer model 3 may have dropped it), then you will not be limited to 80 mph except if you have the FSD beta in which case you will be limited by TeslaVision on city streets, but not on freeways (where you are using the legacy AP stack). Of course, since FSD beta only handles non-freeway driving, the 80 mpg limits is hardly a limitation in this case.
Unfortunately the Beta FSD limits take precedence even on freeways so my 2020 M3-LRAWD w/ radar has the 80 mph limitation if engaging the Autopilot or NoA on freeways at least for now.

The even more annoying part is that now, after changing the freeway to another freeway it forgets the 80 mph limit set initially and as soon as it merges on the new freeways (after the ramp) it slows down to the new freeways max limit. In SoCal where 80 mph is considered slow, it poses a problem when you come off the ramp with 70-75, you merge, and then the NoA drops you to 55 or 65 really fast. Not phantom braking, but God this is worse. I am gonna try to add an offset to the speed limit I guess, but I can see this having other side effects already. Before beta FSD the 85 (back then) limit would be sticky even when changing the freeways (with offset set to zero)... Hope it comes back

• Informative
Reactions: Need
So .. your point is what? Tesla have said it's temporary until they are sure that it is safe to increase the limit. And as a result you have to??? Change lanes more than you want when going 10 mph over the speed limit? Hmm .. ok.
Big man. So mature. I’m sure you’ll get your reward for your efforts one of these days. Newsflash: being well-behaved is praised by grown-ups to children because it makes their job as a guardian easier. The byproduct long term is it makes for a terribly boring adult.

• Disagree
Reactions: Transformer
If you do have radar hardware (most other cars, though some newer model 3 may have dropped it), then you will not be limited to 80 mph except if you have the FSD beta in which case you will be limited by TeslaVision on city streets, but not on freeways (where you are using the legacy AP stack).
This is not true. I have FSD beta with a radar model Y. I tried a different profile with FSD disabled and I’m still locked to 80.

So how's Vision only AP? Does it do a better job of not speeding up to the set limit rapidly when you can clearly sees a sea of brake lights 1/4 mile ahead? I always thought this is a radar type of problem, and if the car could use the camera, it should know that there is no need to continue driving 75mph when you know that it will come to a almost complete stop in about 5 seconds.

Big man. So mature. I’m sure you’ll get your reward for your efforts one of these days. Newsflash: being well-behaved is praised by grown-ups to children because it makes their job as a guardian easier. The byproduct long term is it makes for a terribly boring adult.
You essentially posted a rant about Tesla temporarily reducing AP max speed while they make sure the vision-only version is safe at the higher speed. And how terribly inconvenient it was for you. I'll leave others to decide who is being immature here.

Reactions: Tee Why and Hbrink
You have to switch lanes between the overtaking lane and cruising lane just like everyone else.

Reactions: dyau and APotatoGod
Wait, so you had to move to the passing lane to pass, and then move back out of it to let others pass you?

Just kidding. ;)

As a regular long-haul road tripper, I absolutely agree with your point about 80 being a little low. I opted back out of the FSD Beta request so that my radar wouldn’t get disabled. My car continues to have a 90 MPH speed limit on Autopilot.