Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla wall charger availability

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rather than install a 14-50, I recommend installing a 6-50 instead. This saves money spent on the unused neutral wire in the 14-50. Tesla charges the same for any of the UMC plugs, just order the 6-50 instead.

If you plan to upgrade to a HPWC later, install wiring capable for use with a 60 Amp breaker. Then only the breaker will have to be changed from 50 A to 60 A to use the max 48 A charging rate of the gen 3 HPWC.

The cost to run a 14-50 is minimal over a 6-50. Better to have the neutral and not need it than need it, and not have it. This way you can use it for an RV or travel trailer. Or, a dual-EVSE splitter. Or you could even use it for 120V outlets in a pinch.

Gives you lots of flexibility later on ....

If you plan to upgrade to a HPWC later, install wiring capable for use with a 60 Amp breaker. Then only the breaker will have to be changed from 50 A to 60 A to use the max 48 A charging rate of the gen 3 HPWC.GSP

It depends how much you really need the 48A charging. In my jurisdiction, a 50A circuit can be installed using 6 gauge NM-B wire without needing conduit (assuming indoor installation). 60A requires conduit, which can be more more of a pain to install.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP
@TheRFMan,

Good point. Only a few very high mileage commuters will really need 48 A charging. No need to pay for what you don’t need. However, faster home charging can be a “nice to have” feature, to allow quick top-up prior to an unplanned long trip (or for a planned trip after you forgot to top-up the night before; don’t ask how I know :)).

@dmurphy,

I agree that 6-50 is not for everyone. If capability to plug in an RV is desired, or might be in the future, absolutely go with the 14-50. However, for anyone that is just using their UMC as a temporary solution until Tesla can provide de-bugged gen 3 HPWCs, the 6-50 is clearly the better option.

Thanks to both of you for your helpful comments.

GSP

Got it. Took approximately a month.

9D645945-394F-48FF-9494-247F6B5C626D.png