Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla wall mounting charger no longer working after I charged it while doing a software update.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On Dec 21, 2021, I plugged in my Tesla wall mounting charger onto my 2020 model X then activated the software update. Few hours later, I checked my car and it showed not charging. The Tesla charger no longer showed any light (as it used to). I reset the breaker for the charger on my breaker board but that did not help. I tried the reset breaker a few more times to no avail. Perhaps I should not charge it while it did software update ?!? Any advice on how to revive my wall charger ?

Hi @Hungtran875 ,

You don't mention the generation of wall charger you have.
I will guess that it is a Generation 2 which can be silver or black with Elon's
signature on it or a Generation 3 which is silver with a glass cover...

On a generation 2 there is a red "Reset" button on the charger - Try pressing that button...

I have never seen a Generation 3 in person but I believe it would also have a "Reset" button
on it somewhere. Please check your wall charger instructions or installation manual.
Try pressing that Reset button...

Good luck,

Shawn

Upvote 0
Hi @Hungtran875 ,

On a generation 2 there is a red "Reset" button on the charger - Try pressing that button...

I have never seen a Generation 3 in person but I believe it would also have a "Reset" button
on it somewhere. Please check your wall charger instructions or installation manual.

Good luck,

Shawn
Thanks for your kind help. It is a Gen 3 with glass cover. I will try to find the reset button.

Upvote 0
Hi @Hungtran875 ,

Good luck,

Shawn
Hi Shawn,
As recommended, I shut the breaker off, unscrewed and pulled the Gen 3 charger out of the wall. I have the instruction of the Gen 3 with me, but I could not find anything that is a reset button. Could it be under the glass cover? I will try that next.

Upvote 0
Hi @Hungtran875 ,

I think I gave you bad advice - Apparently there is no reset button on the Gen 3 charger...

There is a troubleshooting help line:
1640547752316.png

If you are skilled and comfortable working on this 240 Volt device,
The troubleshooting mentions a step for you or your electrician when there are no lights lighted:
1640547981689.png

Good luck - Sorry for the mistaken advice,

Shawn

PS _ Another question for you and the troubleshooting technicians:
When you talk about the failure during charging during a software update-
Were you updating software for the car? This is OK
or were you updating software for the Charger? I don't think this is OK

Upvote 0
no. Highly doubt that caused the problem You should be able to update while charging.
I do think this can be related to the issue. It might be the connector was already on the edge of breaking and the update pushed it over the limit somehow. At least this is what I suppose happened with my charger.

I'm in no ways an expert, but the reason I think this is possible, because it happened to me as well.
I don't charge at home a lot and only a simple socket outlet, but my charger also broke while updating yesterday. I drive a 2013 Model S which had just received a CCS upgrade the day before. Charging worked fine up until updating. After updating I kept getting charging errors saying something was wrong with the cable or charging device. My guess would be that during the update some safety check went wrong or maybe something else in the communication with the device. Unfortunately I'm not not an experienced electrician so I can't confirm any of this, but the only reason I can imagine my charger breaking exactly the moment of updating is that during the update something failed and the battery pack accidentally sent 400volt to my charger by thinking it was CCS connected or something.

Once again I'm completely speculating and I don't use a wall connector so this might not even be related to OP's issue except for the moment of breaking both being during the update.

• Disagree
Reactions: GOVA and davewill
Upvote 0