Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla wants me to go to service center in another state, what are my options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone,

I just got my car and super excited about how it drives! Love autopilot! However, I have quite a few issues...

I have attached some pictures depicting issues I have. When I go to service in the Tesla app it wants me to go to nearest service center... in another state. About 3.5 hours away.

No option for mobile help. And my contact with Tesla has an "I'm out of office" auto reply email set up.

Is my only option to go to Tesla service center that far away?

Pictures:

1: Scratch on rear passenger side wheel.
2: Panel misalignment
3: Panel misalignment
4: Panel misalignment as well as showing a large panel gap
5: Same panel as pic 4 towards bottom showing much smaller panel gap
6: Panel misalignment
7: Paint issues
8: Paint issues
9: scratches on plastic
10: scratches on plastic
11: Panel misalignment and scratches on plastic
12: Wire hanging underneath passenger front wheel well

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 108
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 70
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 78
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 73
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 71
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    340.8 KB · Views: 64
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    343.2 KB · Views: 77
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    296.5 KB · Views: 392
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 374
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 76
Do they keep your car or how does that work? Do they give it back same day?

I went in for a retrofit for FSD assuming that I would sit in the waiting room and wait. When I arrived, they handed me a model S loaner - Works for me. I rarely ever see anyone in the waiting room and been up to dealership a handful of times for various reasons. For that many issues, I would be shocked if they didn't give you a loaner.....

Reactions: ihaveacamaro
Mobile service is great for things like tire rotations, HomeLink install, MCU upgrades, minor issues/repairs (replaced a few switches and a window regulator on my old M3), etc. However, you have a few items (i.e. paint issues) that require more specialized body shop work, that can't be done at your house. The app it typically good at letting you know if something can be serviced using mobile service (or Tesla will contact you during their 'review' phase).

Especially with everything that is going on, each service center is slightly different. Only Tesla will have an answer at how long it will take based on their staffing, part availably, etc. I had a few minor issues on my MY, I dropped it off this past Monday morning with an ETA of Tuesday evening. Tuesday afternoon they messaged me and said they wanted a little more time because there were other items that were not up to their standard. I am not scheduled to get my car back tomorrow afternoon (hopefully). I would rather have them get things right vs rush and have to go back. I feel fortunate because I was able to get a Tesla loaner (MS P90D) until my vehicle is ready (happened the past two times I have been into service). Reading the forums, in other locations users get $100/day Uber credits to use instead of a loaner. It seems to vary by location and complexity of work (they may not give you a loaner if it is a few hour fix). The best thing to do is schedule the appointment and either call the service center or wait for their text message, and discuss your concerns (needing a loaner due to your location, etc.). I have always found my service reps to be extremely friendly and helpful the few times I have needed them. Hope this helps!

That wire hanging out from the front is the plugged wire for the pedestrian warning system some of the 3's recently got (and all Euro tesla's are required to have). It plugs into a little speaker and makes noise when traveling at slow speeds in forward or reverse to alert pedestrians around the car (since it's so quiet while moving). Our cars do not have that speaker. The wire can be just tucked up there, but they should have secured it before delivering.

Do they keep your car or how does that work? Do they give it back same day?

Depends on your service center. Mine's been in the shop since last Friday 4/3 to fix the paint issues, estimated completion is next Wednesday 4/15. They are repainting the doors and replacing the rear bumper due to some paint chips/runs.

I got a loaner Model S in the mean time.

I suggest setting up the appointment on your Tesla app and then give them a call. If you can't reach the service department directly, try calling through the "parts" department, tell them you have these issues so they can get the necessary replacement parts ready/inform the body shop, and give you a clear timeline of when you'll get the car back. The Tesla Virtual Service will text you to confirm the appointment, you can also text that number back and someone will respond back to you. I've been texting the number for specific updates since my tesla app hasn't been updating consistently.

Good luck!

For those issues, mobile service is not an option. Paint needs to be done inside with professional equipment.

If your car runs fine, you can just drive it as is. If you want it fixed you will need to take it to a service center. Since your state does not allow Tesla to provide such services, you will have no alternative to travel.

Tesla would most likely be happy to provide service centers in OKC, but often times the legacy dealerships have lobbied your government to keep them out. This protects the established independant dealership networks, but also stops innovative companies, like Tesla, from providing needed service to their customers.

For items that can be addressed by a single person, with equipment they can carry on their trucks, Tesla often offers mobile service. They have proven to be remarkably effective to do smaller repairs and adjustments in the field, but in your case it looks like repairs would be better in a service center or paint shop.

You can also ask Tesla if they have an authorized local paint shop that could take a look at your car.

3.5 hours would be great! I also live in a no sales/service state and had to make a 10 hr round trip last week to get a defective oil pump replaced. Took them about 2 hours, so lots of driving that day. It was in a 3, but same thing... I asked for supercharger credit as 1/4 of the miles on my car are from picking it up, and now getting it serviced. No luck, but at least they charged it up before I left.

That wire hanging out from the front is the plugged wire for the pedestrian warning system some of the 3's recently got (and all Euro tesla's are required to have). It plugs into a little speaker and makes noise when traveling at slow speeds in forward or reverse to alert pedestrians around the car (since it's so quiet while moving). Our cars do not have that speaker. The wire can be just tucked up there, but they should have secured it before delivering.

Thanks for letting me know, I was wondering about that!

For those issues, mobile service is not an option. Paint needs to be done inside with professional equipment.

If your car runs fine, you can just drive it as is. If you want it fixed you will need to take it to a service center. Since your state does not allow Tesla to provide such services, you will have no alternative to travel.

Tesla would most likely be happy to provide service centers in OKC, but often times the legacy dealerships have lobbied your government to keep them out. This protects the established independant dealership networks, but also stops innovative companies, like Tesla, from providing needed service to their customers.

For items that can be addressed by a single person, with equipment they can carry on their trucks, Tesla often offers mobile service. They have proven to be remarkably effective to do smaller repairs and adjustments in the field, but in your case it looks like repairs would be better in a service center or paint shop.

You can also ask Tesla if they have an authorized local paint shop that could take a look at your car.

How do I ask Tesla something? I'm so confused by that. I don't know who to call or talk to since my delivery person is out of the office

Luckily you all have been really helpful so I've been getting my answers from here haha

Thanks everyone for your responses. I want to enjoy the car for a little bit and would like to make a trip to Dallas out of this if I have to. Since everything is closed right now, that doesn't sound particularly enjoyable. Hopefully virus stuff gets better soon