Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla wants me to replace a roof with 20 years of life left due to “significant granule loss”… options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Roof was inspected 2 months before I decided to buy solar + powerwall. Now I am told that my roof that will have 20+ years of life left will need to be replaced.

any options to get a 3rd party to install Tesla solar + powerwalls that won’t force me to replace the roof?

I guess the first question is do you have significant loss of granules and bald spots? Was this something your roof inspector flagged? If not, why not if you can see the problem? If so I think any legit solar company would not want to install as they would be warranteeing work on a roof that could soon have underlying water issues. Sounds like at this stage they are protecting both of you (from water damage and extra costs to remove panels and reinstall after roof repair work is done).

Here’s a good article on asphalt roofing tiles that are losing their granules and why it can happen and what problems are likely to occur without addressing it. Since you indicate that your roof should still have at least 2 decades of useful life, the section on why this can happen might be helpful in understanding how it got to that point. The condition of your underlayment will also be important to gauge.

At this stage you might want to get another inspection by a quality roofing company as a second opinion. Your home is your single biggest investment and water damage can get really expensive.

There are products I’ve seen online to respray your roof with granules but I have no idea of the cost or effectiveness and longevity of it.

Last edited:
I agree that it is worth it to be certain there are no issues with the roof, especially since there will also potentially be additional costs for any work required once the roof has solar on it.

That said, yes, there are a number of third-party installers who install Tesla PWs. The issues you might find are that the cost will be higher and the timeline for install might be longer as there is a PW shortage which may be limiting supply to some third parties. And, just to clarify one point, there are no Tesla solar panels. Tesla gets theirs from their supplier (Hanwha,) and you can get the same or any other panel working with your installer.

This article goes through the criteria one solar company uses to determine if your roof is good enough for solar. I have heard if your roof is 7 years or older companies will usually want you to replace the roof first.

The bottom line is solar companies do not want to get into a disagreement with the roofing company if your roof leaks. So they want to ensure the roof is in good shape before they commit to install and warrant the installation.

Last edited:
Reactions: h2ofun