Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla website behavior after you've ordered your Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ℬête Noire

Jan 30, 2018
TX
I wanted to see what the "Check Your Estimated Delivery" button would bring up from the https://www.telsa.com/model3 page now that I've got my order in. Is this below the page it has shown for people in the past after they've ordered, or is this new and suggests that they'll still be using reservation timestamp rather than order placement timestamp for who gets their order first?

Screen Shot 2018-06-28 at 1.06.15 AM.png

Reactions: AnarchyEOD
Thanks for pointing this out. (But, FYI... there's a typo in your link.)
*facepalm* Just-before-bed-posting was probably not a good idea.

Model 3

Idk for sure, but wouldn't earlier versions of this text refer to invitations being based on reservation date rather than deliveries?

Yes, that's exactly the word that got me thinking about this. *shrug*

It would also fit with why they are giving this wide windowed, obviously padded estimate for all us June 27 invites. Bring in a large number of invites, let them configure LR/D/P providing a very rough estimated delivery date, then sort them within each of those categories by reservation date, and they'll have a better estimate from there (if they then will provide that more precise estimate to each person isn't clear).

so seems like i should be placing an order using my brother's day 1 reservation instead of my recent reservation made in May 2018 right?
I don't know the ins and outs of making sure it gets registered with the DMV under your name, so you don't have to go through an extra ownership transfer (that costs money in some states).

Other than than seems to me your brother's is the safest to use.

BTW, since you haven't made the order yet could you screen cap & post what it says when you press the "Check Your Estimated Delivery" button on this page? Model 3

P.S. You should probably blur/deface the end of your R order #, if it's showing there, before posting the screen cap.

I'm also seeing the same thing as OP and @jsmay311. Generic blue car saying my RN has been ordered (submitted order for RWD on 6/17). My profile page does NOT have any delivery estimate next to the "View Build Details" link. Now with all of the talk about delivery times being pushed back over preference for AWD and Performance configurations I'm thinking that I should have waited. Called Tesla two days ago asking when they think my delivery would be now (was stated as 3-6 weeks when I ordered) and the possibility of changing my order to AWD and how that would affect my delivery date. Was told by the agent that she would call me back the next day but so far *crickets*. I'm sure that they are getting bombed with questions but with the July 1 deadline coming up for 'free' internet connectivity I'm getting a little anxious.

• Informative
Reactions: ℬête Noire
Thanks for the info. Positive support of the hypothesis this is a newly written page, suggesting that registration timestamp still matter.

I'm sure that they are getting bombed with questions but with the July 1 deadline coming up for 'free' internet connectivity I'm getting a little anxious.
No doubt it's a madhouse today at Tesla sales CS, and tomorrow won't be better.

You've got an order in, though. So you should be good on the lifetime streaming part. Remember: Ohm, Ohm, Ohm, Ohm ;)

That's only 4 ohms. Not much resistance there... :) . I think I'm going to head down to the Tesla gallery at the local mall tonight and see what they have to say. If I can get my order changed to AWD, what I originally had hoped for, and it takes until Sept/Oct to receive, I'm still good with that. I only broke down and ordered RWD when it looked like AWD was going to be Late 2018 for me and that might cost me $3750. Don't get me wrong... I can afford it since I'm paying cash for my car (Hear me Tesla??? I've got money burning a hole in my pocket and I'm dying to give you some!).

. If I can get my order changed to AWD, what I originally had hoped for, and it takes until Sept/Oct to receive, I'm still good with that.
Aaah, now I grok the source of your consternation.

Well then tack on "....." to "Ohm Ohm Ohm Ohm" because, though I haven't looked that hard into the estimated number of hard orders versus production-to-date numbers are, it would not surprise me if your RWD car's production is locked in and it's winding it's way don the line right this moment. Because they're doing a huge push, several hundred/day, right now to try hit 5K/week sustained.

Wish you luck on your quest but it seems like a can't fail, good news-good news situation. Either you're going to have an awesome car really soon or you're going to have an probably-awesome-but-we-haven't-public-confirmation car after waiting a few months more. :D Either way surely that you are altering an order wouldn't make you ineligible for the lifetime streaming?

Yeah, I was a little put off by the "Late 2018" quote for AWD delivery. Taking into account Tesla-Time®, that could have meant early to mid 2019 :) . At least with a firm (?) naming of months involved, that gives me some assurance that they'll hit that target.

My feeling too is that my order is already sitting somewhere in Fremont (I'm about 7 miles away). If it's locked in and I can't change my order without major consequences, then I'll be happy with it.

Edit: Hmm... maybe I'll go to the showroom during lunchtime. Google says that they usually aren't that busy at that time of day.

Last edited:
(What a time for my hotspot or laptop Wi-Fi card to act up; posting this via my phone so please ignore the mis-spellings and/or spell check wackiness)

Okay, after taking a quick drive to the Santana Row showroom, here's the scoop on my order:

Talked to one of the sales advisors there. She said to keep calling the 888 number about the possibility of changing my order to AWD and finding out what impact that would cause to my delivery date. While I was there I also took the time to sign up for an AWD test drive when they become available. Took a side-trip for lunch (Arby's, yummmm!) and when I got back to work I saw that I had a voicemail from a 725 area code number. I'm sure most of the people here knows what that means!

According to the voicemail and follow up email, my 3 is ready to be scheduled for delivery, as soon as next week. I just checked my account and there's still no VIN assigned. Perhaps with all the fervor surrounding the end of the month/quarter at the factory, some account updates are being overlooked. That could explain why I never saw any expected delivery date after submitting all my purchase details.

After 2 years and 3 months my journey is almost over (and just beginning!).

• Love