Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Wifi Sux

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Love to implement a guest network for IoT (could also put the Teslas on it, down the road) but frigging Airport Extremes don't do guest networks in bridge mode, for some reason I can't see. (Using bridge to have everything on one network, since I'm tied to the crappy FiOS router for obvious other reasons.) Perhaps time to get one of the several good mesh replacements; Airport has worked perfectly, except for this missing feature!

I just converted my house from 2 x Airport Extreme + 1 x Airport Express to 2 x Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-LITE (based on some other discussion here). The UniFis are great, much easier to manage and get an overall picture of what's going on. Eventually I'm going to get my IoT stuff (including the Tesla) onto a different VLAN, but I want to pick up a couple more VLAN-capable switches first (I'm aware that's not an absolute requirement).

Bruce.

Any performance drop with multiple SSID's?

Extremely extremely low. It is true that for each additional SSID, your AP must spend a little bit of time sending beacons / management frames for it (on the order of one frame that takes microseconds every few hundred milliseconds). You're extremely unlikely to see the effects of this unless you define dozens of SSIDs!

Nothing perceivable, according to the specs the Access Points i'm using are capable to run up to 16 SSID's so I wouldn't expect any change with just the two SSID I'm running. The new AP I'm using are also an 802.11ac Wave 2 4x4 MU-MIMO device capable of up to 1,733 Mbps though I currently don't have any devices that will connect at that speed yet, I've basically future proofed my WiFi...

Oh and by the way the Tesla only connects at 802.11 G speeds. (maximum raw data rate of 54 Mbit/s)

Last edited:
I just converted my house from 2 x Airport Extreme + 1 x Airport Express to 2 x Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-LITE (based on some other discussion here). The UniFis are great, much easier to manage and get an overall picture of what's going on. Eventually I'm going to get my IoT stuff (including the Tesla) onto a different VLAN, but I want to pick up a couple more VLAN-capable switches first (I'm aware that's not an absolute requirement).

Bruce.
Thanks, will keep that in mind!

I've spent the last 2.5 months in wifi hell with my SP90D. One day, my car just stopped connecting with my wifi network at home. I had been on the same network for 4 months with no problems. No setting changes, no firmware updates. Just stopped connecting. Went through every trouble shooting option I could find on the web with no luck. Was originally on an Orbi set up, so then tried a Nighthawk, then a Linksys router from 4 years ago. Tried WPA and even no security. 2.4 band only, short ssid, legacy protection, multiple car resets in all their variations, forgetting networks, manual set up....every last thing I could find to do. Talked to Tesla support multiple times. I found that I could still connect to Tesla Service, Tesla Guest and my phone as a hotspot, but no other router in any other place. I would get one second of connection, one minute of no connection, then another attempt by the car to connect and obtain an IP address (yes, I tried static IP). Many times even refused to even see other wifi networks where many existed. What fixed it? I went and found the oldest router available (an old Asus N150), used all of the shittiest settings you could have on a router (set as an AP of course), set up 7 feet from my car....and finally....a connection. It is ridiculous that my 2016 car can only connect on a standard from 2009 using the slowest and least secure settings on a router with limited range. Really, I'm just venting. Other than my car swerving sharply towards a concrete divider for no reason and then almost hitting a car next to me, all within 5 minutes, on autopilot today, everything is great! o_O
Thanks, will keep that in mind!
I disabled WiFi Multi Media and it resolved the issue.... this is extreme because it forces any 802.11n and ac networks to a slower speed. but points to the issue. I am suspect it is related to specifc attributes of power setting and connectivity in WMM, but unfortunately my NetGear X10 has only an ON or OFF

Bruce.
maybe you should let Tesla pay the cell bill . . .

maybe you should let Tesla pay the cell bill . . .

Not sure I totally understood your comment about my cellular bill, but I'm kind of a network geek anyway (in my day job I'm a software engineer for a network provider). I love excuses to buy new networking kit for my house, and I'd probably do the same even if I didn't have the Tesla. :)

Bruce.

Reactions: boaterva
Not sure I totally understood your comment about my cellular bill, but I'm kind of a network geek anyway (in my day job I'm a software engineer for a network provider). I love excuses to buy new networking kit for my house, and I'd probably do the same even if I didn't have the Tesla. :)

Bruce.
has nothing to do with YOUR cell bill. I'm not spending a dime to improve my wifi infrastructure for a car. If Tesla needs to download an update they can do so using THEIR cellular service in the car.

Read those words - I [meaning me] am not upgrading my infrastructure for a car [i.e., to allow Tesla to send an update to the car.]

Now - If I have some other reason to upgrade my wifi - great - its for me.

Reactions: GeorgeCM
has nothing to do with YOUR cell bill. I'm not spending a dime to improve my wifi infrastructure for a car. If Tesla needs to download an update they can do so using THEIR cellular service in the car.

Read those words - I [meaning me] am not upgrading my infrastructure for a car [i.e., to allow Tesla to send an update to the car.]

Now - If I have some other reason to upgrade my wifi - great - its for me.

Your opinion was not clear to me from "maybe you should let Tesla pay the cell bill . . ." In the post you quoted I described what I'd just done for my network and what my near term plans were. I certainly wasn't suggesting any course of action to you or anybody else, but you seem to have interpreted my post otherwise. Maybe you should "read those words" again.

Bruce.

Reactions: SomeJoe7777