Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Wifi Sux

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Determined not to let a car beat me, I brought home 3 more access points from work: Meru 1010i, Extreme 3935i, SonicPoint Ni. I first tried the Extreme in the same location as I tried my previous Linksys E3000 running DD-WRT and Fon running DD-WRT and Asus AC-87R. It did the same thing, dropped to cellular after 30-60 seconds. Then I fired up the Meru 1010i and voila! Solid stable connection! Now, I had also moved this one a little closer so later tonight I plan to put the Extreme damn near next to the passenger mirror next. I'm wondering if they have the driver set to drop the connection if the signal is below a ridiculously strong level. Most WiFi is stable at -65-70db but I suspect they're dropping it if it's below something like -40-30 which would be stupid...just a suspicion/idea, haven't done any testing yet...

Little NetIS set to 50% power, 8 feet from car, shows -45DB at the car
(car is all it is for:S 100D was not doing as well as the S 85 did from a router
a couple walls away).
Turning NetIS 45 degrees ensured same power whichever side
of the car (earlier was at -50DB at nearer side)!
Using WiFi Analyzer on Android to see what signal I was getting.

OK so I tried the Extreme 3935i about 3 feet from the mirror, no go. I then tried the SonicPoint and it worked fine. I switched to the Meru as the thruput is faster than this older SonicPoint. So there is SOMETHING it doesn't like about the Extreme 3935i, Linksys E3000 DD-WRT, Fon DD-WRT and the ASUS AC-87R, what it is I have no idea...

I don't think it has to do with signal strength - at least in my garage, I get signal (however weak) from a home that is one after my neighbors, and the tesla still sees it and reports it. I haven't tried connecting to it (it is secure), fact that my MS can see it, I think it can connect. I doubt it has to do with signal strength (BTW -40 is way better than -75, just FYI). Anything below -90 usually devices have patchy/weak connection.

I have a Ruckus AP (R600, enterprise class) quite far away from the MS (diff floor), and it has worked flawlessly. I do have DLNA services running on the same network (both Wifi PSK and wired share the same "VLAN"), so I can be sure the MS sees the other DLNA compliant services.

FullSizeRender 6.jpg

When your car connects to your wireless network it looks for multimedia devices like blu-ray players and streaming TV boxes using DNLA. Some devices confuse the Tesla causing the Wi-Fi/Bluetooth radios to reset. When the car connects again the cycle repeats.

Isolate your car from your multimedia devices by having it connect to a "guest" network on your router and the problem goes away. Make sure your guest network has "intranet" access disabled.

I've been struggling with this issue since 8.0 came out last year. Tesla replaced my MCU and reflashed my Parrot module, but nothing helped. Thanks to this thread I took a look at the car's network traffic with a packet sniffer and discovered the root cause of the problem.

This seems to have finally fixed the issue. I created a guest between and isolated it from the regular network which includes an Emby server. Both cars have been able to connect and stay connected. Hopefully Tesla developers can address the issue in a future update to prevent interference from DLNA.

Thanks again for this tip!

Reactions: boaterva
This seems to have finally fixed the issue. I created a guest between and isolated it from the regular network which includes an Emby server. Both cars have been able to connect and stay connected. Hopefully Tesla developers can address the issue in a future update to prevent interference from DLNA.

This also worked for me. I've been working on this problem off and on ever since I got the v8.0 update. Creating an isolated guest network finally did the trick. Maybe I will finally get the 8.1 update! -- Big hat tip to Doug Gallardar!

My car connects and works fine with the Meru access point but not 4 others even on my standard LAN setup. I do currently have it on its own Tesla zone in the SonicWall since I had to set that up for the SonicPoint so I just left it. So that doesn't fly here. I didn't try those other access points on that isolated network however, that's something I may do tonight. Car goes in tomorrow so I guess I will... And I'll have the loaner car to test with too for comparison in operation...

Just tested with one of the APs that had an issue and it WORKS! (Isolated in a 10.x.x.x/24 zone by itself on the SonicWall) So, either the latest update (17.11.45) fixed it or isolating the network fixed it, whatever, I'm done messing with it, it's working and I'm running with it.

Are you running firmware 7.6.8 (the latest version) on your airport extremes? I have found it to be extremely buggy when running multiple airports. Rolled back both at home and at work. And all problems disappeared.
I am running the latest and have just recently found that my Mac can't always find my time capsule. But the wifi side seems to be running OK. I'm running 3.

All on my network besides wireless devices:
Dish hoppper with 7 joeys
WD My Cloud EX4 w/Time Capsule
Nuvo Concerto w/expander Whole Home Audio
Wink with a bunch of devices
NAS
GE Home Security System

Think that's about it. Just throwing it all out there lol

All on my network besides wireless devices:
Dish hoppper with 7 joeys
WD My Cloud EX4 w/Time Capsule
Nuvo Concerto w/expander Whole Home Audio
Wink with a bunch of devices
NAS
GE Home Security System

Think that's about it. Just throwing it all out there lol

Will try it again on my default network, currently using a spare airport exclusively for the Tesla directly connected to my AT&T gateway.

It would connect to my home network (web browser, music, etc... worked) but the Tesla App wouldn't be able to make a connection when my car was on my regular home network 90% of the time. Though it sometimes worked 10% of the time.

I have a bunch of network services, including Plex and other server (file, ip, vpn, etc...).

It works fine using the spare time capsule just for the Tesla but I would rather have the Tesla on my home network so I don't have interference with another router

Tesla brought a Model S to my house. It connected right away! So they reflashed the chip on mine...still didn't work. So they took it back to the shop and started working on it. But of course, in the shop, it worked fine! The tech took it to his house....and it worked fine! In the meantime, the loaner suddenly started the re-initialization loop at my house and wouldn't connect even to neighbors' houses. Tesla engineers looked into it and asked me to check a number of settings, all of which I had already long since done. After 3 days of fussing about, they finally said they had determined that my car was working to specification and there was nothing they could do. It had to be my wifi setup. The fact that my car wouldn't connect to (now) 4 different routers at two different houses was essentially on me. So I went to pick it up with a clear view that I must be crazy.

Buuuut, when I got to the SS, they told me that in the last 30 minutes they had received further information from the mothership that, in fact, a bug had been introduced in 8.0 that was in fact causing this very issue. I'm not crazy!!! At least not on this issue. They don't have a fix yet, but at least they acknowledge the problem.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: boaterva and bmah
I connected my X to my home network today (previously on a another network) and it worked!! If the functionality remains, I will disconnect my spare router thus reducing wifi interference. I do have my router set to power 1194 and 22 for the X, I guess I can remove that but I am so glad to see it worked!!

Have router and access point ready, played with settings as mentionned by you guys. added guest network with isolation. The car knows all the networks and now stays connected! (to normal or guest, don't know)

Normal: 2 bars of connection
Mirrors unfolded: 3-4 bars of connection
Garagedoor open and mirrors unfolded (car is parked outside): max connection level.

upload_2017-5-6_14-19-9.png

upload_2017-5-6_14-19-57.png

Last edited:
If we didn't already know (and we did), the DLNA/make a separate network is definitely the fix. Erik and David had the problem come back when they thought it was fixed, and making a separate guest network did for them, permanently. (Or your wifi access point is isolated from the wired network, where the DLNA devices are, as mine is....)

I can only say I hope the patch mentioned shuts down those services in the kernal, since there is no way this sort of thing would work on the mass-market 3 (meaning the level of 'playing around with things' needed to get wifi to work).