Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Winter Tire Package - Lead-time?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Random tire swap question: any time I've changed my tires at Costco, they give you instructions to come back after driving 40km or so to have the tires re-tightened. No such warning from Tire Change guys, and person who installed it had not heard of any such instructions... is this necessary or does Costco do it as a CYA approach? Should I be concerned?
As I understand it, this is only done with aluminum rims because they’re more ‘flexible’ and can sometimes cause the nuts to back off if they’re not tightened again after a few km of travel.

Update:

My tire installed at buttonville airport. There is no store there, it is just a guy with a truck doing mobile installation at the parking lot.
They stored my tire for the season for 115+tax. And told me there will be another 115 and 90 swapping fee (+tax) at next spring.

Theres some comments on here saying they don't provide tire bags if you do mobile service but does anyone have any information on if they hand out tire bags if you get it changed at their buttonville airport location? I'm not storing my tires with them...

1stval , buttonville is not a location with them no shop etc. They just do mobile service at their parking lot. Yes, they do provide tire bags after finishing. I paid to store my tire/rim, but I have seen previous person got it.

Theres some comments on here saying they don't provide tire bags if you do mobile service but does anyone have any information on if they hand out tire bags if you get it changed at their buttonville airport location? I'm not storing my tires with them...
I asked about tire bag, he told me they do but run out of bags... Why can't Tesla provide tire service, I rather spend time in Tesla service center then standing outside in cold weather. Now, I still need to bring it in for TMPS error...

I asked about tire bag, he told me they do but run out of bags... Why can't Tesla provide tire service, I rather spend time in Tesla service center then standing outside in cold weather. Now, I still need to bring it in for TMPS error...

Correct me if I am wrong , you ordered Tire/rim from GO Tire? It is totally different story.

We ordered tire package from Tesla web site, and installed by The Tire Storage Guy. The TPMS comes with Tesla package just works fine after installation. Plus there is no regen warning for my case.

• Informative
Reactions: mahagala
I just ordered my winter package last night for a Model 3 I took delivery of a week ago. I had some technical issues with shop.tesla.ca that prevented me from ordering prior to that. Website currently says 4-6 weeks for delivery, so I guess I'm looking late January / early February. Hopefully we won't get a huge dumping of snow in the GTA before then.

There's some comments on here saying they don't provide tire bags if you do mobile service

Hopefully they do, I'm not planning to store my tires with them either and I don't want to mess up the back of my Model 3 with tire dirt. I guess I should have a couple of drop cloths in the back just in case...

Also, it appears that Crappy Tire has a set of 4 tire covers for $45 that will fit the 18" set so that's always an option if you want something a bit more durable than plastic.

I just ordered my winter package last night for a Model 3 I took delivery of a week ago. I had some technical issues with shop.tesla.ca that prevented me from ordering prior to that. Website currently says 4-6 weeks for delivery, so I guess I'm looking late January / early February. Hopefully we won't get a huge dumping of snow in the GTA before then.

Hopefully they do, I'm not planning to store my tires with them either and I don't want to mess up the back of my Model 3 with tire dirt. I guess I should have a couple of drop cloths in the back just in case...

Also, it appears that Crappy Tire has a set of 4 tire covers for $45 that will fit the 18" set so that's always an option if you want something a bit more durable than plastic.

Like I said that they do provide bags at Butonville airport. At least last Saturday when I was there.

Received email yesterday from Tire Guys (ordered online Nov 8) but all dates for my area (downtown) and virtually every area appears booked for the next 3 months (or blacked out). Of course, times are available up in Markham at their parking lot. I get the feeling (being pessimistic) they are just blocking out dates for most mobile visits to "force" customers to drive to them in Markham. I sent an email to Tesla Lawrence so I am awaiting their response.

So two things: when I had my tires switched out at the butonville airport a few weekends ago, the guy doing the switching said that they actually were NOT all that busy. Maybe they are more constrained by tire availability than personnel? Or the mobile service guy that comes to your house is different than the guy that meets you in random parking lots.

Second thing: Despite asking on the phone and being told that yes, they can provide bags for the tires, when I arrived, the guy there did not have any bags (I would have bought/brought some with me had I known). The best he could do was give me some styrofoam sheets to try and line the car with so as not to dirty the seats/trim etc... Was really unimpressed by this. Why promise something and not deliver it?? So I would strongly suggest you bring your own bags to store the tires in. I came all the way from London, and was paranoid about the tires sliding into the back of the front seats, or damaging/dirtying other parts of the car that weren't covered by the styrofoam sheets.

And while I'm typing, a third FYI: If you are out of town, they should be giving you your aero covers despite claiming that they are all out. They called me a few hours later, asked if I was given the aero covers, and were disappointed that I wasn't, because now they will have to fedex them to me... which still has not happened...

• Informative
Reactions: mahagala
So two things: when I had my tires switched out at the butonville airport a few weekends ago, the guy doing the switching said that they actually were NOT all that busy. Maybe they are more constrained by tire availability than personnel? Or the mobile service guy that comes to your house is different than the guy that meets you in random parking lots.

Second thing: Despite asking on the phone and being told that yes, they can provide bags for the tires, when I arrived, the guy there did not have any bags (I would have bought/brought some with me had I known). The best he could do was give me some styrofoam sheets to try and line the car with so as not to dirty the seats/trim etc... Was really unimpressed by this. Why promise something and not deliver it?? So I would strongly suggest you bring your own bags to store the tires in. I came all the way from London, and was paranoid about the tires sliding into the back of the front seats, or damaging/dirtying other parts of the car that weren't covered by the styrofoam sheets.

And while I'm typing, a third FYI: If you are out of town, they should be giving you your aero covers despite claiming that they are all out. They called me a few hours later, asked if I was given the aero covers, and were disappointed that I wasn't, because now they will have to fedex them to me... which still has not happened...

Your experience is two weeks earlier than mine. They improved since with all your points above.

NOTE TO ALL BUTTONVILLE AIRPORT APPOINTEES: NO TIRE BAGS. IGNORE ALL OTHER COMMENTS AT YOUR RISK. BRING YOUR OWN.

Start of the morning appointment. No tire bags. Andre seems like a nice guy. He sets up his truck at the side of the lot to the west (turn right after turning into the lot and drive a bit to the side of the building). He said all the foam padding is garbage so he'll line my car with it to help bring tires back home. Covers are also being shipped separately "next week".

Reactions: Dante
Ordered the winter package Nov 8 and got mine switched over at the Buttonville Airport yesterday. Don't have the space to keep them so paid for the storage as well. They were changed quickly and I was on my way again.

They didn't have the aero covers and said it would be shipped separately, but that's neither here nor there for me since I don't keep mine on and instead have the wheel cap kit on there.

These ones seem to give off a bit more road noise though than the stock ones. Is that just me or is anyone else having that experience?