Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla wireless charging pad during Investor Day presentation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On a Tesla it would be new.
Not really...there were at least one company that offered wireless charging solutions for Model S vehicles back in the 2014/2015 timeframe: Meet Plugless | The Wireless EV Charging Station

The reality, however, is that it's just too expensive an option to warrant the supposed convenience of just plugging in, and the market never really materialized. As you can see from their website, they stopped taking orders as they awaited their "third generation" platform, which appears to not have materialized (or is at least very late).

WiTricity (Home 2022 - EN) is another company, although I don't know if they ever came out with a working product.

Don't get me wrong: I do think wireless charging has a place, but I don't think the average consumer's vehicle is one of those applications.

Not really...there were at least one company that offered wireless charging solutions for Model S vehicles back in the 2014/2015 timeframe: Meet Plugless | The Wireless EV Charging Station

The reality, however, is that it's just too expensive an option to warrant the supposed convenience of just plugging in, and the market never really materialized. As you can see from their website, they stopped taking orders as they awaited their "third generation" platform, which appears to not have materialized (or is at least very late).

WiTricity (Home 2022 - EN) is another company, although I don't know if they ever came out with a working product.

Don't get me wrong: I do think wireless charging has a place, but I don't think the average consumer's vehicle is one of those applications.
I wonder if Tesla can drive the cost down because of their scale. I would pay $500 or more to be able to drive up and have the option to be able to charge whenever my car was in the garage. Now, I can do that now with my Tesla branded wall charger, but I need to remember to plug it in.

And I think there is a market for it. After all, how many of us charge our phones with the cable that came in the box with the phone? Most have wireless Qi chargers scattered around our homes, cars, or offices and drop the phone on it when we are not using it. And then when we need the phone it is charged. Our cars could be the same.

Reactions: Don.Church
There's probably a price point where we could think the convenience is worth it, but I think it would have to be quite low for people that have the ability to have an actual plug.

Applications where it makes a lot more sense are fleets, those that park in parking decks or possibly on-street locations where a charging post is not feasible.

Reactions: jboy210
I'm not sure it will ever be particularly cheap.

Will be interesting to see how much Witricity charges for its upcoming Halo upgrades

1. You need the receiver and transmission coils.
2. As I understand it wireless transmission only works by supplying DC to the coils - so you need a 7-11kW rectifier in the wall unit (presumably why it is so large)

So I'm thinking $3-5k for an 11kW wireless charger versus $500 for the AC EVSE.

Maybe just stick with the EVSEs and have an Optimus robot tasked to plugging everyone in

There's probably a price point where we could think the convenience is worth it, but I think it would have to be quite low for people that have the ability to have an actual plug.

Applications where it makes a lot more sense are fleets, those that park in parking decks or possibly on-street locations where a charging post is not feasible.
I can definitely see it in fleet apps. One day I can imagine Pepsi truck drivers over in Lathrop dropping of their cabs at the end of shift into a charge line. And the self-drive driving the cabs into the chargers, charging up, and then moving them into the yard's parking for the next day's runs.

I think some of the tests in Europe were in on-street locations.

Are far as home use goes, if they can keep the price down by having a standard way to do wireless charging, I can see becoming quite well used. Wireless phone charging took a while to take off and now everyone uses it and the costs have dropped. I think I paid $60+ for my first wireless phone charger and it was not a common standard like Qi.

I hope we get to the point where it is commonplace for EVs to have wireless charging in parking spots. It would be great to have them in some fraction of store, mall, etc. parking spots. Then that second EV we own could be short range, lighter weight, and lower cost since we would have all sort of places to charge.

First watts_up (literally) with posting 3 individual links in 3 individual posts? Spam much?

Also the post was asking about a native Tesla wireless charging solution, not about wireless charging for EVs in general or about other solutions already out in the market.

I will be interested in seeing how this pans out, given the efficiency of a wired vs wireless solution. There may be areas or reasons to use wireless more often depending on the scenario though.