Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla. Won't repair glass anymore.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had an appointment to fix a crack in sunroof. Tesla canceled it and a shady glass third party guy calls me saying he charges 500 for labor and 2k for glass. He says he won't work with any insurance companies so I have to go out of pocket. Tesla sf refuses to take my car. saying they have no room anymore for cars. What is going on? I have been taking my s to the dealer since the year it was released and no problems, but now I can't even take my new model 3 for a repair?

At least in NorCal, you're supposed to call Safelite directly. They have the contract for windshield replacements now. Mine was $830 out of pocket for windshield and labor, done at my home.

I’m going through this process at the moment too. Rear roof glass replacement is $811 through Safelite. The process has been very easy so far... just waiting on the glass from Tesla.

Reactions: commasign
For those of you going through the process, were your cracks self-induced, or mfg defect (E.g. stress crack)? If the latter, are you getting push back from your local SC when trying to claim warranty? I'm about to take mine in for a growing stress crack on my rear roof next week.
pcQmEtE.jpg

Last edited:
Are these prices for glass typical in the US or is the Model 3 pano roof pushing it up?

For comparison in the UK insurance usually covers glass with a ~$100 deductible. It might start to change though because many cars now how sensor clusters mounted on the windscreen, which need calibration after the glass is replaced.

I’m waiting on. ReplCement for my passenger side front glass and windshield, and my Service Center said they would do it in house, or at least a mobile tech would come do the side glass at my home or work. The windshield has to be done in house though.

Both glass have factory defects.

I had the opposite experience. Had a crack in my windshield, and called Safelite. My local Safelite people strung me along for two weeks and then told me they COULD NOT work on Teslas, because they couldn't get the glass, and even if they could get the glass, they couldn't calibrate the front-facing cameras.

Safelite sent me to my local service center, who replaced my windshield.