Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaCam time stamp always wrong

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been using the TeslaCam for months and while the date stamp is correct, the time stamp is off by hours. Alternating between a ScanDisc 64 and 128 gb micro discs. I swap out weekly. Very frustrating looking at mid afternoon videos time stamped 6:27 am. Clock in the car is spot on.

Any thoughts on what is going on? How to correct this? Thanks for the help.

There are two "time stamps" on TeslaCam videos. One is in the filename, and IIRC, that one is based on local time. The other is the filesystem time stamp, which the OS will report as the file creation time. This is recorded in Coordinated Universal Time (UTC; more-or-less aka Greenwich Mean Time, or GMT). In Florida, this is likely to be four or five hours in advance of your local time, depending on the time of year. If you're seeing some other deviation, as your description seems to imply ("mid afternoon... stamped 6:27 am"), then I'm not sure what's going on.

Incidentally, Tesla uses UTC because its computer is built around Linux, which follows the Unix convention of storing file time stamps in UTC. Windows, OTOH, uses local time for its time stamps, so if you use Windows to read a Linux-created file, there's likely to be a mis-match.

Incidentally, Tesla uses UTC because its computer is built around Linux, which follows the Unix convention of storing file time stamps in UTC. Windows, OTOH, uses local time for its time stamps, so if you use Windows to read a Linux-created file, there's likely to be a mis-match.

All computers internally use UTC... they just translate it into "local" time for display. For example, if you change the location of your computer to another time zone, when you look at the files in Explorer or Finder (mac) you'll notice all the timestamps on the files change to be the time it would be in that newly selected time zone.

It makes it easier for Tesla all cars use UTC so they don't have to try to correlate events across time zones. For example, if you live in New York and they are trying to look at logs in their servers in California to match up with events in your car's logs everything is timestamped in the same reference.

There are two "time stamps" on TeslaCam videos. One is in the filename, and IIRC, that one is based on local time. The other is the filesystem time stamp, which the OS will report as the file creation time. This is recorded in Coordinated Universal Time (UTC; more-or-less aka Greenwich Mean Time, or GMT). In Florida, this is likely to be four or five hours in advance of your local time, depending on the time of year. If you're seeing some other deviation, as your description seems to imply ("mid afternoon... stamped 6:27 am"), then I'm not sure what's going on.

Thank for you that great explanation!

I have noticed the following: The filename as others have said has the correct local time. However the filesystem time stamp is 3 hours earlier than my local time which is (currently) 5 hours earlier than UTC. I just checked this by activating the cameras in my garage and immediately looking at the files.

I have noticed the following: The filename as others have said has the correct local time. However the filesystem time stamp is 3 hours earlier than my local time which is (currently) 5 hours earlier than UTC. I just checked this by activating the cameras in my garage and immediately looking at the files.

Where I live, in Europe, the time stamp is nine hours off. Tesla must have hard coded Pacific time. However, the time stamp in the file NAMES are correct.

Same here, I wanted to develop a routine to look for clips based on location and time, but I hit the same wall as many people are reporting in this thread. For me (Brisbane - GMT+10) and for the developer of teslausb in PST, the time difference is 7 hours. 7 hours is 420 minutes, he wonders if that could that be an Elon Musk joke. Not impossible lol

There are different timestamps in Linux, if you use the USB storage, you won't be able to see that, but if you use teslausb, you will gain access to some data and dates that will likely make you see the same difference as we are seeing, i.e. 7h as opposed to the other differences that people are reporting here, presumably by looking at their USB storage on a Windows computer.