Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teslafi vs Nikola vs Stats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am currently using both Teslafi and Nikola. Going to choose and stick with one. Maybe should try Stats? Looking for opinions but couple quick observations from my side so far.
Like the additional detail Teslafi gives but wish it had a phone interface. Nikola is cleaner and has phone interface but seems they round the numbers vs Teslafi so don't get as much precision with the data (both less data and less precision). So seems if one wants more detail and can live with no phone interface go with Teslafi. Yes/no? Question: As far as effect on battery would both be the same (provided you use sleep mode in Teslafi)? And not enough impact on battery to consider not using either of these? Thoughts?

Does Nikola have the same scheduling capability as TeslaFi?

I use the Tesla app and what's on the screen of the car. Not sure why people need to track all this data.

Within the realm of “everyone’s needs are different”, there are a number of reasons you might want the data. Expense tracking, determining how efficiently you are driving (how many Wh per drive - like tracking your MPG), tracking the usage of other drivers when you aren’t in the vehicle, scheduling things to happen, watching the car for certain conditions (not plugged in at home, not locked after a period of time, etc, etc).

Does Nikola have the same scheduling capability as TeslaFi?

Within the realm of “everyone’s needs are different”, there are a number of reasons you might want the data. Expense tracking, determining how efficiently you are driving (how many Wh per drive - like tracking your MPG), tracking the usage of other drivers when you aren’t in the vehicle, scheduling things to happen, watching the car for certain conditions (not plugged in at home, not locked after a period of time, etc, etc).
Nikola does a bunch of things like battery health monitoring, stats, history, controls, etc, but I haven't yet built scheduled charging. As a former Apple engineer my philosophy is shaped by trying to build for quality, simplicity, and security. When I do scheduled charging, the plan will for it to be robust and simple.

I’ve been really pleased with Stats. It’s easy to use and provides useful data as well as additional control features (eg, disable sentry mode on approach so it doesn’t record you returning to the car, smart heating/cooling, great widget, Apple Watch controls, etc). The developer continually updates the app and is very responsive. Best of all, it’s a one-time cost and not a subscription app.

Reactions: mazers
If you have any questions about Nikola, I'd be happy to answer them! I'm the developer of the app.
I am very happy with the Nikola app so far. One of the "killer features" for me is locking/unlocking my car from my Apple Watch when I go surfing (I have my RFID key in my boardshorts as a just-in-case backup though).

Here are some things though:

* Could you please make the app also natively support iPad. I know it "works" on there now, but it would be nice - when I am looking back over the charging and driving history data - for it to be using the full iPad display natively.

* On the Stats page, could the graph columns or points have a tooltip when it is tapped on - to show the actual value that is being graphed at that point

* How does the Nikola app determine "Ghost Drain" (is it change in battery with no odometer change, or is it something you can pull more directly from the car via the API)?

* The trip recording shown on the History screen seems to start a bit after the trip has started: what I mean is the start address (and the start point on the plot on the map) is a bit after the drive actually started. Doesn't really matter I guess but it would be ideal if a drive starting from home actually showed the start address as home, rather than at some other address a couple of hundred yards along the street, or even after turning into the next street.

* Could you show perhaps the current inside and outside temperatures (maybe overlaid on the picture of the car on the Controls screen, or just as an item on the EV Health screen)? I know I can see these temperatures from the official app, but using that app will wake the car up immediately, whereas if Nikola showed it as of last time the car was awake (like the door lock status, etc) that would be fine, and I could decide whether to turn the air conditioning on _without_ necessarily waking the car up just to get a good-enough idea of the temperatures.