Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaFi vs Tezlab vs Tessie vs Dashboard for Tesla vs Scan My Tesla vs TeslaLogger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,
I've been using TeslaFi for a while and the standard Tesla app. However, I have an ancient MCU1 on a 2013 P85, and to say the least, the app is no longer maintained with me in mind. It's hard to get my car to go to sleep and vampire drain is bad when using TeslaFi. I'm curious about the tons of apps I'm seeing in the store that use the Tesla API and seem to have good reviews (but some cost a good bit of $$), and curious how they compare to solutions like TeslaLogger, which is a bit of a different beast. Can some folks who have experience with any of the above apps or data loggers comment and say what they think about these, how well they work, etc.?

I’ve been using the Tessie app for ~4 months and love it. We’ll worth the $5/mo.

- App design is beautiful on iOS.
- charging/driving/parking (idle) stats are awesome. Ability to input your own electric rate and the current gas price let’s you compare your ev costs to ice. (Spoiler: I’m paying 2/3 less for electricity than I would for gas).
- all of the stats are filterable by date. You can go back and compare July usage to December usage, and see the actual difference in efficiency that you're getting in warm vs cold months. Or query for that week you were on vacation and see where you went, how much energy you used, etc.
- the Alexa integration is awesome. “Alexa, warm up the car” is really convienent in the morning.
- opening the Tessie app never wakes the car. I like seeing the activity graph in Tessie to see how long my car has been sleeping and when it wakes up.

Some of these are not unique to Tessie, but I can’t imagine not having all of this data and going back to “just” the stock Tesla app.

There is really no magic in how the apps connect to the car. They all do similar things pausing the polling to get the car to sleep.

Have you looked at some of the settings? If you simply pause teslafi, does the car sleep? A long time back, I had to disable the "No outside temperature" and "no inside temperature" options to get my car to sleep.

You might be having a different problem, like a degrading 12v battery requires the car to wake more frequently.

There is really no magic in how the apps connect to the car. They all do similar things pausing the polling to get the car to sleep.

Have you looked at some of the settings? If you simply pause teslafi, does the car sleep? A long time back, I had to disable the "No outside temperature" and "no inside temperature" options to get my car to sleep.

You might be having a different problem, like a degrading 12v battery requires the car to wake more frequently.
thanks for the suggestions. I did indeed play around with the teslafi settings and found a setup that works a while back. I believe I had to keep those boxes unchecked as well, and then enable deep sleep mode. I can see stretches of multiple hours at a time in TeslaFi where it says the car sleeps. There was an issue a while back where the polling itself was a big drain on battery, but I reduced the poll rate and was able to see a marked change. Nowdays it looks like most of my drain is due to charging the 12V, and due to me occasionally leaving the "always connected" box checked. If I leave that on it really hammers the vampire drain, like upwards of 6-8 miles a day. However, with that unchecked and with TeslaFi set properly to enable sleep, I have a more "reasonable" 3-5 with the occasional spike. So I was not being totally fair in the first post by blaming the apps and TeslaFi somewhat, TBH.

I've had the car for 4.5 years now so I would not be surprised at all when the 12V goes out. Over time I worry about the waste of energy; I leave the car plugged in, and as it vamp drains, it then charges back up. over a couple years those 3-5 miles per day are very non negligible.

Ive been using Tessie for a couple of weeks now. I have only used this one and the official Tesla app. One thing I really like is being able to monitor my S without waking it up. I will be parking it for a month without plugging it in. Tessie will show me its sleep cycle and battery level while I'm away.
Follow this link to get a free month. Edit: Referral code removed, not allowed on TMC.

Last edited:
Reactions: raphy3
Ive been using Tessie for a couple of weeks now. I have only used this one and the official Tesla app. One thing I really like is being able to monitor my S without waking it up. I will be parking it for a month without plugging it in. Tessie will show me its sleep cycle and battery level while I'm away.
Follow this link to get a free month. Edit: Referral code removed, not allowed on TMC.
Can you DM the referral code? Would like to try Tessie out. Thanks!

I'm a heavy TeslaFi user. I've recently (like in the last month) tried Tessie and Tezlab. I also used to run TeslaMate and TeslaScope. I also have Stats and WatchForTesla. Here are my thoughts for what it's worth:

• Both Tezlab and Tessie paled to TeslaFi in terms of what I wanted which was calendar level stats of my drives and charges. None of them had anything like the daily, month view or year views of my stats.
  • I did really like the interfaces for single drives far more.
  • They are usable on the phone! Yay! I wish TF was
  • Tezlab did not have a web app or an iPad app and on my M1 Mac was barely usable.
  • TeslaScope was good, but missing a ton of key features for a data nerd like me. They've added a lot of it, but…I'm on TF now so. I did much prefer the TS interface.
  • WatchForTesla is far superior to Stats for interface, controlling the car, shortcut commands. In my mind it does something extremely well and cheaper.
  • Stats - I keep going back to it just to see how it's doing, but honestly since I have WFT and TF, I find its interface and behaviors annoying. So I don't use it.

tldr; I'm a data nerd. I like calendars and grouping things (road trips). TeslaFi's interface and lack of phone support is dragging, but I prefer to use it. Not a fan of Stats, but prefer WFT.