Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaMate [megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have TeslaFi and have also been using ev.energy recently. Have just disabled the ev.energy smart charging as a first experiment before changing my Tesla password. The not sleeping behaviour has only been going for a few days (less than the amount of time I've had ev.energy enabled), but could be a new bug they've introduced.

I'm assuming you have set up Teslafi with appropriate sleep mode settings too?

As it happens I've noticed my car waking up a bit more than usual recently too and I have also enabled ev.energy recently as I've just moved over to Agile and it is great for that, but it isn't keeping it awake for too long and the benefits far outweigh the cons for me. Once myenergi sort out some proper support for Agile (I believe it is due later in the year) then I'll probably move over to using the Zappi to control the charges as it appears Tesla have now sorted out the waking for charger-initiated charges in their latest firmware, but for the time being ev.energy is doing very well at optimising charges to get the most out of Agile for me.

On another note, and not wishing to tempt fate, but it looks like I've managed to successfully set up a new VM instance running on a f1-micro (with DaveW's instructions for adding a swap file) and this time I've just used a Teslamate backup from my e2-micro and restored from that rather than going through the Teslafi import again, and so far all appears to be working well! I have also got the agile bit working to pull the correct prices in for charges at home and also setup a backup to my google drive - again, thanks to DaveW for the guide. Fingers crossed it continues to behave!

Last edited:
I'm assuming you have set up Teslafi with appropriate sleep mode settings too?

As it happens I've noticed my car waking up a bit more than usual recently too and I have also enabled ev.energy recently as I've just moved over to Agile and it is great for that, but it isn't keeping it awake for too long and the benefits far outweigh the cons for me. Once myenergi sort out some proper support for Agile (I believe it is due later in the year) then I'll probably move over to using the Zappi to control the charges as it appears Tesla have now sorted out the waking for charger-initiated charges in their latest firmware, but for the time being ev.energy is doing very well at optimising charges to get the most out of Agile for me.

On another note, and not wishing to tempt fate, but it looks like I've managed to successfully set up a new VM instance running on a f1-micro (with DaveW's instructions for adding a swap file) and this time I've just used a Teslamate backup from my e2-micro and restored from that rather than going through the Teslafi import again, and so far all appears to be working well! I have also got the agile bit working to pull the correct prices in for charges at home and also setup a backup to my google drive - again, thanks to DaveW for the guide. Fingers crossed it continues to behave!

Keep us posted on if you get the recommendation to upgrade in a few days @simon.c - keen to know if the swap file helps here.

@DaveW & @simon.c

My instance seems to be running very slow and not loading on the web link, so will redo the VM Instance and this time use the Swap file to see if it helps.

One thing is how do i use my backup on Google Drive? Is it a simple upload file or is there a script to use?

Put the swap file in first and reboot before rebuilding.

To use a backup you need to upload the file (dead easy with SSH via the browser) and follow the restore process from the TeslaMate docs

Reactions: davidmc
Put the swap file in first and reboot before rebuilding.

To use a backup you need to upload the file (dead easy with SSH via the browser) and follow the restore process from the TeslaMate docs
All up and running now and inc swap file. Getting good at this! :)

Your website is a fantastic guide!

Just one thing regards the backup file, does this contain the destination/SC location data? or does that have to be re-imported?

I've done the PI thing, and now the GCP move, but it's the basics tripping me up! Anyone know how you can alter the date format on (say) the Drives dashboard in Grafana to be DD/MM/YY instead of the MM/DD/YY that appears to be the default? I've got a feeling it's a backend thing encoded by the Teslamate devs rather than a Grafana setting?

I've done the PI thing, and now the GCP move, but it's the basics tripping me up! Anyone know how you can alter the date format on (say) the Drives dashboard in Grafana to be DD/MM/YY instead of the MM/DD/YY that appears to be the default? I've got a feeling it's a backend thing encoded by the Teslamate devs rather than a Grafana setting?
Good call, would also like to know this

Good call, would also like to know this

It's not something the TeslaMate author has done, it's a limitation of Grafana where it only supports US date formats at the moment.

Very long and old outstanding issue but some people are resorting to modding the Grafana binaries or source to address but that example is for Grafana v7, not sure about 6.x which is what TeslaMate is on.

My M3 not sleeping issues must’ve been related to ev.energy. Disabling smart charging in the app didn’t fix it, but changing my Tesla password did. I’ve had TeslaFi since owning the car in November and sleeping has never been a problem, and as mentioned above, it TeslaMate only uses the streaming API then it sounds like it’s impossible for it to cause sleep problems? I’ve logged a ticket with ev.energy to see if they can diagnose what was happening. I’ve been using the ev.energy smart charging feature for a few weeks (which by the way is fantastic, it picks the cheapest Octopus Agile half hour slots to achieve the desired target by the desired time), and the no sleep thing only started happening around a week ago (coincidentally when I installed TeslaFi).

Actually, you can get away with just one, and have grafana live under /grafana on your main teslamate domain.

The details are in this issue comment: [Safari BUG] Persistent refresh with latest Safari 13.1 due to Basic Auth · Issue #643 · adriankumpf/teslamate

You just alter the GF_SERVER_ROOT_URL env variable and add GF_SERVER_SERVE_FROM_SUB_PATH=true.

In fact that whole comment is gold - I've used it to switch to form auth (from basic auth), so that hopefully I'll be able to access teslamate from the in-car browser.
Did you manage to access teslamate from the in-car browser?

I can access mine from the car on GCP

IMG_7941.jpg

Ah I assume you just mean the version of docker-compose.yml with traefik details in it - think DaveW (and me on first reading) thought you had a separate traefik.yml file for some reason. Sounds like you may have ended up with one of those pesky certificate errors at some point in your install if you weren't getting the correct prompts for passwords. Did you initially run sudo docker-compose up without a -d at the end to see what the output was? If you see any entries in the logs at that point relating to certificate errors then that is likely the issue. Think in the end we narrowed that down to being a Debian 10 issue didn't we? Did you definitely set up the GCP with Debian 9?

Oh and just checked my GCP page today - spotted I've been given the Increase Performance recommendation (with swap enabled from the start). I'll ignore it and see how I get on!

Ah I assume you just mean the version of docker-compose.yml with traefik details in it - think DaveW (and me on first reading) thought you had a separate traefik.yml file for some reason. Sounds like you may have ended up with one of those pesky certificate errors at some point in your install if you weren't getting the correct prompts for passwords. Did you initially run sudo docker-compose up without a -d at the end to see what the output was? If you see any entries in the logs at that point relating to certificate errors then that is likely the issue. Think in the end we narrowed that down to being a Debian 10 issue didn't we? Did you definitely set up the GCP with Debian 9?

Oh and just checked my GCP page today - spotted I've been given the Increase Performance recommendation (with swap enabled from the start). I'll ignore it and see how I get on!

@BMW740iL When you click on the padlock in the URL window, does it show a Lets Encrypt cert, or a Traefik one?

@simon.c Still no issues here, warning was dismissed and it runs fine, I think it's just a little close to the bone, the swap file is growing very slowly though, so it's not using that much, it was around 110mb as of this morning.