Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaMate [megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably no help but have you looked at your macOS firewall settings and/or tried turning off Private Relay in your iCloud settings?
I don't use Private Relay and the "firewall" on my mac is disabled.

I don't have any trouble connecting to the Teslamate instance (port 4000) just Grafana (port 3000) and, among my installed browsers, only Firefox has an issue.

Let's go back a bit. What version of OSX and Teslamate are you running?
This prompted me to look at my mac server running 13.6.4. It was running Firefox 70 (I don't normally run Firefox on this machine) which also failed to login to Grafana. Then I did an update to 109 which worked and then I updated to 125.0.2 which also works. Then I installed Firefox 115 (LTS) on another mac running 14.3.1 and that works.

So in my tiny sample:
- FF 125 + macOS 13 works
- FF 115 + macOS 14 works
- FF 125 + macOS 14 fails

[Edit]

I reverted from FF 125 to FF 124 on my macBook and everything is fine.

Last edited:
When I try to access it via https://ip I get a cert issue, and if I click proceed I then just get a page displaying "404 page not found".
Additonally, I've now changed the DNS settings in squarespace to wipe out the default CNAME entry and add one with host "www", type = CNAME and data="testamate.mydomain.com", and added Host="mydomain.com", type=A and Data=ipaddress (no quotes in the actual entries).

This is at least now taking me directly to the "proper" domain, but I'm still getting the 404 page not found issue (and the address bar goes "back" to the IP, doesn;t stay as the website name).

Interestingly, if I go to https://ipaddress/grafana I get to the grafana login page and can login successfully, but https://domain/grafana gives me the 404 error.

Last edited:
Additonally, I've now changed the DNS settings in squarespace to wipe out the default CNAME entry and add one with host "www", type = CNAME and data="testamate.mydomain.com", and added Host="mydomain.com", type=A and Data=ipaddress (no quotes in the actual entries).

This is at least now taking me directly to the "proper" domain, but I'm still getting the 404 page not found issue (and the address bar goes "back" to the IP, doesn;t stay as the website name).

Interestingly, if I go to https://ipaddress/grafana I get to the grafana login page and can login successfully, but https://domain/grafana gives me the 404 error.
Does the FQDN_TM variable in your .env file match the hostname you are trying to access it with?

Does the FQDN_TM variable in your .env file match the hostname you are trying to access it with?
Yes - that matches. The only thing that has changed is my domain having been migrated from Google Domains to Squarespace (as google domains are closing). Nothing has changed on the server itself, it has been running fine (connected to the same domain) for over 3 years until this forced migration.

Last edited:
When you ping the domain name what IP address does it return?
It's coming back with a 198.49.23.x IP which is a squarespace one.

I think I may have to just wait a couple of days for the DNS propagations to go through everywhere and see what state it's in then?

So much for Googles "seamless" transition!

I believe I'm also going to need to setup an SSL cert on the GCP server too seeing as Squarespace will not provide one if you're not hosting the website on their infra too.

On my A record I have the domain name as the Name. Haven't touched these in years so just going by what I see. I'm not using Squarespace though.
Turns out with Squarespace you have the use @ or it won't work. Finally got that sorted on Saturday and this afternoon the DNS is now correctly pointing to my GCP instance.

The issue is that I'm just getting a "404 page not found" when accessing my domain. All of the services on the GCP seem to be up-and-running, so I'm thinking it must nowe be a cert issue as the mogration loses the https from Google, and you can't use a squarespace one against the domain unless they host your site.

Any ideas if this sounds like it may be the issue, and if so how I go about creating a cert (a self signed one on the server would be fine for my usage - it's only accessed by me).

Turns out with Squarespace you have the use @ or it won't work. Finally got that sorted on Saturday and this afternoon the DNS is now correctly pointing to my GCP instance.

The issue is that I'm just getting a "404 page not found" when accessing my domain. All of the services on the GCP seem to be up-and-running, so I'm thinking it must nowe be a cert issue as the mogration loses the https from Google, and you can't use a squarespace one against the domain unless they host your site.

Any ideas if this sounds like it may be the issue, and if so how I go about creating a cert (a self signed one on the server would be fine for my usage - it's only accessed by me).
If you look at the Advanced installation document there's details of Let's Encrypt configuration.

Looking at the advanced installation instructions and my install, I'm prety sure I configured it with let's encrypt when I originally set it up.

It definitely something weird with routing, as I've just setup a local instance of TM on one of my internal devices and restored a backup on my database and all of my drives are being logged, so the TM instance itself is working fine.

The latest issue I discovered was that whilst my A record is pointing correctly now to my GCP, the glue records to teslamate.mydomain.com and grafana.mydomain.com are still pointing to Squarespace IPs, so wondering if that is now causing the issues. I raised a support issue with them and it's been bounced from L1 to L2 to L3 support, so waiting to hear back from them on that. I'm assuming I need those glue records in place as the config files are looking for the FQDN of teslamate.mydomain.com? Do you think this is the case (it's really not an area I'm familiar with!!).

Looking at the advanced installation instructions and my install, I'm prety sure I configured it with let's encrypt when I originally set it up.

It definitely something weird with routing, as I've just setup a local instance of TM on one of my internal devices and restored a backup on my database and all of my drives are being logged, so the TM instance itself is working fine.

The latest issue I discovered was that whilst my A record is pointing correctly now to my GCP, the glue records to teslamate.mydomain.com and grafana.mydomain.com are still pointing to Squarespace IPs, so wondering if that is now causing the issues. I raised a support issue with them and it's been bounced from L1 to L2 to L3 support, so waiting to hear back from them on that. I'm assuming I need those glue records in place as the config files are looking for the FQDN of teslamate.mydomain.com? Do you think this is the case (it's really not an area I'm familiar with!!).
Not sure I fully understand your DNS setup here but basically DNS would be along the following lines:

1. Register domain with some company (They might not the ones providing your DNS)
  2. NS Records need to exist and point to the DNS FQDN of the host for your DNS domain
  3. Create an A record (And AAAA if doing IPv6 also) which points to your server so something like server-teslamate.mydomain.com to the IP address of your server
  4. Create a CNAME record for teslamate.mydomain.com and point that to server-teslamate.mydomain.com
  5. Create a CNAME record for grafana.mydomain.com and point that to server-teslamate.mydomain.com
This doesn't cover any Teslamate configuration but just DNS as I think you want it. I suspect your issue lies with 2 and that you are looking in a DNS control panel that isn't actually being used for your domain.

MXToolbox DNS Check

Go to that and put in your teslamate.mydomain.com but look at the bottom to see what company it says it found the record from. If that's not what you expect, then your NS records are wrong.

1715164139877.png

Not sure I fully understand your DNS setup here but basically DNS would be along the following lines:

1. Register domain with some company (They might not the ones providing your DNS)
  2. NS Records need to exist and point to the DNS FQDN of the host for your DNS domain
  3. Create an A record (And AAAA if doing IPv6 also) which points to your server so something like server-teslamate.mydomain.com to the IP address of your server
  4. Create a CNAME record for teslamate.mydomain.com and point that to server-teslamate.mydomain.com
  5. Create a CNAME record for grafana.mydomain.com and point that to server-teslamate.mydomain.com
This doesn't cover any Teslamate configuration but just DNS as I think you want it. I suspect your issue lies with 2 and that you are looking in a DNS control panel that isn't actually being used for your domain.

MXToolbox DNS Check

Go to that and put in your teslamate.mydomain.com but look at the bottom to see what company it says it found the record from. If that's not what you expect, then your NS records are wrong.

View attachment 1045264

Thanks for the response. Everything was working fine for over 3 years until my domain was (forcibly!) migrated from Google Domains to Squarespace.

The DNS Check is showing 2 x A records - the 198 address is a cloudspace one and the 35 address is the "correct" address for my GCP server. Both are to my top level "mydomain.com" as opposed to the teslatate. or grafana. addresses:

DNS Lookup.jpg

Within my Squarspace portal I have the following Customer Records configured (the www points to teslamate.mydomain.com):

DNS Custom Records.jpg

I have the following configured for Domain Nameservers (these are the default nameservers, not manually configured by me):

DNS Domain Nameservers.jpg

..and I have the following Nameserver Registrations (glue records I believe):

DNS Nameserver Registration.jpg