Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaMate [megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks @init6 Looks like billing_type must be a new field, I need to update the UK ones (several new ones since the last update) so I'll sort this at the same time.

Maintenance wise @DurkaDurka - I was keeping the UK ones up to date fairly regularly, which I'll get back on top of. The others are generally on demand, I'll take a look at the USA ones when I sort the others out :)
Sorry Dave, I should have shortened the quote. Was passing on DurkaDurka's thanks for the initial work - not to give you more to do :)

Reactions: DaveW
Thanks @init6 Looks like billing_type must be a new field, I need to update the UK ones (several new ones since the last update) so I'll sort this at the same time.

Maintenance wise @DurkaDurka - I was keeping the UK ones up to date fairly regularly, which I'll get back on top of. The others are generally on demand, I'll take a look at the USA ones when I sort the others out :)
As I mentioned, you don't have to define the field - it will default to "per_kwh". Your import worked fine.

BTW, if you need help with the US ones just let me know your methods and maybe I can help out.

Reactions: DaveW
I am using GCP for Teslamate. I have followed the settings for the ‘free’ account. Google is now telling me my trial is nearly over and I have to set up automatic billing or risk losing access.
Is the billing setup really required? Will they charge you or is the lowest level still free?

I am using GCP for Teslamate. I have followed the settings for the ‘free’ account. Google is now telling me my trial is nearly over and I have to set up automatic billing or risk losing access.
Is the billing setup really required? Will they charge you or is the lowest level still free?
I did that and so far everything has still been free.
Screenshot 2021-04-14 at 10.35.34.png

Reactions: ParHunter
Hi guys,

I have been using TeslaMate in GCP since February and I just noticed something.

I don't have my own charger at home, so I have to rely on public charges and about 300 meters from my home is a public charger.
When I start charging, I always get notified by the Tesla app.
It also says the battery level.
When I look back the charging details in TeslaMate, always the start level (in percentage) is off.

This morning I starting charging at 5%.
I saw that on the in-car display as well as the Tesla app notified me with this percentage.
When I check Teslamate, it says that I started charging at 12%.
This is quite a difference and messes up the statistics.

Anybody have the same issue ?

Anybody have the same issue ?
I've noticed discrepancies between battery % shown by car/Tesla app and Teslamate when the battery is very cold; the car will show a blue portion of battery capacity that is effectively not available until it warms up for self-protection purposes I assume. Therefore I guessed Teslamate always reports the actual rather than available %. Big assumption on my part but most logical thing that made sense to me, could be entirely wrong! Mine is a 2020 LR car, perhaps 2021 SR+ with LFP battery may have different reporting artefacts around temperature or available capacity?

I've noticed discrepancies between battery % shown by car/Tesla app and Teslamate when the battery is very cold; the car will show a blue portion of battery capacity that is effectively not available until it warms up for self-protection purposes I assume. Therefore I guessed Teslamate always reports the actual rather than available %. Big assumption on my part but most logical thing that made sense to me, could be entirely wrong! Mine is a 2020 LR car, perhaps 2021 SR+ with LFP battery may have different reporting artefacts around temperature or available capacity?
I thought it might be the 'available capacity' masking the charge state, but that difference seems too large for that.

@sp33dm3 can you share a picture of a charging session on teslamate, in case we can spot anything strange.

I thought it might be the 'available capacity' masking the charge state, but that difference seems too large for that.

@sp33dm3 can you share a picture of a charging session on teslamate, in case we can spot anything strange.

Sure, this session is from today.
Car showed 5% battery when starting to charge.
TeslaMate shows 12%.
Cold battery is possible, only drove about 300 meters to the public charging station.

Screenshot_4.jpg

That's a curious bump in range round about 9:45. I haven't seen anything like that on my charges, even the cold ones.
I wonder if we could work out what the state of charge was from the range figure at the start of the graph.
Max Range =307.82km @90% SoC = 3.42km per 1%
Range at start of charge is 18.48km = 5.43% which is what the car was saying.

It could be the available capacity for a cold battery vs actual capacity, but I didn't think the car reserved that much capacity.

Might be worth asking Adrian at Teslamate how this is derived. Will have a look at the grafana code in the meantime.

in V1.21.4 there is this comment:
  • Charge Level: Fix usable battery level alternating between usable battery level and regular battery level
What version of TM are you running. I note 1.21.4 came out in Feb which is when you said you had this running from. Have you updated TM since then?

in V1.21.4 there is this comment:
  • Charge Level: Fix usable battery level alternating between usable battery level and regular battery level
What version of TM are you running. I note 1.21.4 came out in Feb which is when you said you had this running from. Have you updated TM since then?

I'm on the latest version, 1.22.0
So that fix I should already have, but maybe this fix causes this difference in reporting.

My first drive reported in TeslaMate was on the 11th of February, version 1.12.3 was then the latest one.

That strange "bump" in range I see that on several sessions, but always at the charging stations of the same vendor (which happen to be in my neighborhood).
On others I don't see that.

Last edited:
So I pondered this overnight and I think that Teslamate is correct. The car will likely be keeping some in reserve either because it's cold or because you are low on charge - probably a combination of both. I haven't seen such a difference, but I've also never had such low SoC :) I suspect when you don't see the bump its because you aren't so low on charge or the batteries aren't as cold - which you'd expect if you weren't in your neighbourhood.
We can probably check this by looking at the total charge added in this charging session and see if it correlates to how much you need to get from 12% to 90% i.e. 78% or from 5% to 90% i.e. 85%. How much did you add?

That specific session I added 39,37 kWh according to Teslamate.

I'm driving a model 3 SR+, which has a 50 kWh battery according to the specs.

So when I added 39,37 kWh and that is to 90%,
If that is 85% added, 100% will be 46,32 kWh.
If that is 78% added, 100% will be 50,47 kWh

I'm more likely to think the latter, meaning that TeslaMate is right when showing 12% SOC when charging started.

Last edited:
Reactions: init6
Hi everyone!

First post here, and successfully got TeslaMate up an running on GCP. Thank you everyone for your contributions and helping to make it very easy to replace TeslaFi and all the other paid apps out there! I'm loving TeslaMate.

I've done a lot of searching, and can't seem to find a way to have TeslaMate Mosquitto use Google Cloud IoT Core. Mine is currently using the local host, but I would like to be able to access the MQTT data through Google Cloud functions.

Has anyone successfully done this? Or is there information out there on how to do this?

Thank you!