Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaMate [megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any recommendations or guides on how to keep the offending tables lean ?

Don't drive your car :)

But seriously, the strength of Teslamate is it keeps the data you might need at a later date. Deleting data to save a few bucks seems a false economy to me.
Never said anything about deleting data. As I mentioned, if you've got DBA knowledge you could do some clever moving of data. If you have to ask what to do then I suspect that's not the best route for you.

But as an example, I run TeslaMate with a Pi on my home network, but also ship limited but useful data to a remote host running another instance of Grafana that I can access over the web, without exposing my live instance. When I'm home I can see data in real time. When I'm away I can see it fairly up to date but delayed by the previous day. You could potentially do the same but also truncate the database on the Pi, if you think it's worth the effort.

Last edited:
Reactions: voom500
You are in THIS thread, so I assume this is not relevant :) ... but just in case:

TeslaFi records data in cloud, so doesn't require you to be running anything. You can download it (if you want to do something with it), or use TeslaFi as an alterative (depending on appetite for giving someone else keys-to-car and so on). I can see when the driver seat heater has been on since the day I bought the car ... and on the one before that.
I had considered it, but not interested in yet another monthly subscription payment.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Never said anything about deleting data. As I mentioned, if you've got DBA knowledge you could do some clever moving of data. If you have to ask what to do then I suspect that's not the best route for you.

But as an example, I run TeslaMate with a Pi on my home network, but also ship limited but useful data to a remote host running another instance of Grafana that I can access over the web, without exposing my live instance. When I'm home I can see data in real time. When I'm away I can see it fairly up to date but delayed by the previous day. You could potentially do the same but also truncate the database on the Pi, if you think it's worth the effort.
I wasn't replying to you ;)

That seems quite an obtuse way to get round the hardware limitations of an rPi when there are simpler solutions that keep all the data in the one database.

I was more curious on the size of the 'positions' table. I know it tracks location every few seconds of a drive. But if others have been using teslamate without filling up their SD cards with years of use, then maybe its not a concern to me anymore.

I was more curious on the size of the 'positions' table. I know it tracks location every few seconds of a drive. But if others have been using teslamate without filling up their SD cards with years of use, then maybe its not a concern to me anymore.
The positions table is by far the largest table assuming you’re actually driving.

But even if you’re not filling up the SD card, other resources like CPU may struggle to manage the size of the table as it grows. Particularly on a Pi 1.

Reactions: jsight and voom500
The positions table is by far the largest table assuming you’re actually driving.

But even if you’re not filling up the SD card, other resources like CPU may struggle to manage the size of the table as it grows. Particularly on a Pi 1.
IMO, the bigger risk with an SD card is that they don't tend to survive heavy usage of databases. At least Teslamate is fairly easy to backup, but it is still annoying to deal with SD card failure.

2. Can docker & teslamate be installed on a Raspberry Pi 1 Model B with only 512MB DRAM? I have one of the RPI1 running my music server & pihole ad blocker. Wondering if I can add docker and teslamate

I’m in a similar boat with a Pi 1B running a pihole, I do have a Pi 3 sitting on a shelf from some other projects which could get substituted in.

Is anyone running TeslaMate and a PiHole on the same Pi & are there any issues?

I’m in a similar boat with a Pi 1B running a pihole, I do have a Pi 3 sitting on a shelf from some other projects which could get substituted in.

I have raspberry pi 4 model B with 4 gb ram

I initially used it is piHole and piVPN only (not dockers, just install straight on metal.

Then added trueNas, Plex and Teslamate. I think only Teslamate is on docker.

All run smoothly no issues whatsoever

Yeah man, I really wish teslamate would be supported on the RP1. I wonder what the technical reason is for the not supported status.

Unfortunately I can't get hold of a newer RPI. I guess I am stuck for now.

I guess I am stuck for now

Data is exportable from TeslaFi - no idea how hard to back-import to TeslaMate ... but might be a route to start collecting data (now / if you don't currently have a TeslaMate logging suitable device) and then use TeslaMate later. TeslaFi Trial, WITH a referral, is a month - dunno if that would be enough time to get the RPI ...

Yeah man, I really wish teslamate would be supported on the RP1. I wonder what the technical reason is for the not supported status.
It tells you in the link I posted - different chipset. Also it is very old technology with limited memory.
Unfortunately I can't get hold of a newer RPI. I guess I am stuck for now.
There are plenty of other options such as GCP, Intel NUC, Windows/Linux PC, synology NAS. Pretty much anything with > 1GB RAM and is always on.

Reactions: cwanja
Hello,

I have this error : "db query error: pq: invalid input syntax for type json"
in some dashboard screens relative to the battery.
I have only 900 km on my car including 700 km since Teslamate installed. Do i need more charges for it to appear still, or there's a problem with my configuration ?

Other data / screens report correctly.

Capture.JPG