Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaMate [megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I made a mistake setting my cost per kWh to 7.5 instead of 0.075 (7.5 pence) - does anyone know how I can edit the cost per kWh of the previous charges on the Charges dashboard?
If you just have a few you can click on the price for the charge, and it will take you to a screen to edit it. (If you need to fix a lot you can do it through a command line SQL UPDATE statement.)

• Helpful
Reactions: mrflux and cwanja
How good are your DB skills? Simplest way would be to change the name of car 1 in the cars table of the database. That way you'd still be able to get the old the data for example when you want to compare your efficiency with the old car. Or how long it took to do a certain trip last time. Or a myriad of other questions you haven't thought about.
If you really want to bin all the data (and you say you have a backup) then just RTFM over here:

Problem is i kept same name for both the cars. so its not showing up 2nd car name in Graphana.
Since i no longer have my old tesla model 3, i dont need the data as i have taken backup of the db
Pretty sure the same name should not matter. One is ID 1 and other is ID 2. The dropdown should just list the same name twice.

Building on @init6 question - can you run a SQL query from either your command line or Grafana? If so, run the following command, mask the VIN before you post. Pull the VIN mainly so that you can see both cars are stored in the database.
Code:
select id, name, vin, inserted_at from cars;

Just tried to view teslamate after a few days and received `502 Bad Gateway`. This was due to insufficient storage space having used up the 25GB allowance on my server. No data lost, which is good.

`sudo docker system prune` freed up 10GB of space and my teslamate instance is now accessible again. This is the first time I've run that command in just under 4 years of usage.

Wondered how others were managing the disk space maintenance proactively? I could just create a CRON task to do this every 6 months, I guess?

Edit: Some data lost, missing a couple of charges from the weekend however all drives are present. Not bothered about fixing this.

Last edited:
Reactions: init6
`sudo docker system prune` freed up 10GB of space and my teslamate instance is now accessible again. This is the first time I've run that command in just under 4 years of usage.

Wondered how others were managing the disk space maintenance proactively? I could just create a CRON task to do this every 6 months, I guess?
As part of an upgrade script, I perform these steps.

• Helpful
Reactions: init6 and Medved_77
I noticed, few times, that my Teslamate hangs/freezes. I cannot access it via web as well
My Raspberry pi freezes as well, only hard reset helps.
need to investigate why
I have this problem too. I can normally access the Rpi via VNC, or SSH. The problem seems progressive - First, I cannot connect wth VNC (teslamate is still working fine, as is SSH). So, I can use SSH to initiate a reboot and recover. If I don't catch it soon enough, then SSH eventually fails (teslamate may still be working fine). Once SSH fails, then I have no choice but to slam the power.

This happens maybe once every couple of weeks... I am using the most capable Rpi 4 with 8 G RAM, but I am running on a regular SD card so I suppose there is some risk there. If I feel like taking on a project, maybe switching to an SSD makes sense. Anyone have a recommendation as to the best setup for an SSD with a Rpi 4?

edit: How are others mechanizing an SSD?
Do you essentially eliminate the SD card, or keep the OS on the SD?
What about swap files, temp folders, etc?
With a teslamate docker install, will teslamate contain itself entirely on the SSD if it is installed there?

Last edited:
I have this problem too. I can normally access the Rpi via VNC, or SSH. The problem seems progressive - First, I cannot connect wth VNC (teslamate is still working fine, as is SSH). So, I can use SSH to initiate a reboot and recover. If I don't catch it soon enough, then SSH eventually fails (teslamate may still be working fine). Once SSH fails, then I have no choice but to slam the power.

This happens maybe once every couple of weeks... I am using the most capable Rpi 4 with 8 G RAM, but I am running on a regular SD card so I suppose there is some risk there. If I feel like taking on a project, maybe switching to an SSD makes sense. Anyone have a recommendation as to the best setup for an SSD with a Rpi 4?

edit: How are others mechanizing an SSD?
Do you essentially eliminate the SD card, or keep the OS on the SD?
What about swap files, temp folders, etc?
With a teslamate docker install, will teslamate contain itself entirely on the SSD if it is installed there?
yes yes yes! same! Same symptoms, same behaviour.
On top of that, my PRI additionally runs:
- piHole - for home users, maybe 5-6 devices at the time, but load is very little
- PiVPN - it is there, but rarely used...
- Plex - it is there, but already switched to another server at home
- Teslamate (obviously)
- PiNAS - but low load as well... via USB HDD

recommendation, would be, I presume, either ssd hat on Rpi, either usb SSD / USB SSD Eclosure for your non-USB SSD.

recommendation, would be, I presume, either ssd hat on Rpi, either usb SSD / USB SSD Eclosure for your non-USB SSD.
I just started browsing. My first thought would be a 'small' NVME m.2 drive with an external enclosure / usb connection, but I am surprised at the power demands (the m.2 drives seem to need 1.4 or 2.5 amps). I currently use a 3 Amp adapter to power the Pi and I would worry that it could not supply the additional 1.4 or 2.5 Amps for the drive. I would hate to have to use another power adapter just for the drive... It becomes a kludge.

I just started browsing. My first thought would be a 'small' NVME m.2 drive with an external enclosure / usb connection, but I am surprised at the power demands (the m.2 drives seem to need 1.4 or 2.5 amps). I currently use a 3 Amp adapter to power the Pi and I would worry that it could not supply the additional 1.4 or 2.5 Amps for the drive. I would hate to have to use another power adapter just for the drive... It becomes a kludge.
same.

I currently have rpi 4 running off the standard rpi 4 power supply (usb c). and it is just enough to run the external hdd via USB...

I currently have rpi 4 running off the standard rpi 4 power supply (usb c). and it is just enough to run the external hdd via USB...
It looks like the standard rpi 4 supply is 5V @ 3A (15 watts). How did you assure yourself that it is 'just enough'?
You might be running on the edge of a cliff and processor load variation could result in random crashes (perhaps like you are seeing).
As an experiment, could you disconnect the external HDD and go for a while to see if the teslamate hang / freezes resolve?

Unfortunately it seems virtually impossible to find power consumption specifications on most external SSD drives.

It looks like the standard rpi 4 supply is 5V @ 3A (15 watts). How did you assure yourself that it is 'just enough'?
You might be running on the edge of a cliff and processor load variation could result in random crashes (perhaps like you are seeing).
As an experiment, could you disconnect the external HDD and go for a while to see if the teslamate hang / freezes resolve?

Unfortunately it seems virtually impossible to find power consumption specifications on most external SSD drives.
well, not sure at all.
but it was running just fine with this setup for a year or so.. only last year I moved from SD card to USB stick.

it could be, for that matter, that 2 USB devices are just too much compared to USB + SD card (!)