Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teslarati : "California passes law banning Tesla from calling software FSD"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That’s a 2 1/2 year old article. IIRC, Tesla won the case on appeal and is allowed to use the wording in the objecting complaint, “full potential for autonomous driving” and “Autopilot inclusive” in its German advertising materials. Germany’s Federal Court of Justice threw out the complaint against Tesla’s marketing terms.

Wettbewerbszentrale, the group that filed the complaint, is sponsored by the German auto industry. What a surprise.

That’s a 2 1/2 year old article. IIRC, Tesla won the case on appeal and is allowed to use the wording in the objecting complaint, “full potential for autonomous driving” and “Autopilot inclusive” in its German advertising materials. Germany’s Federal Court of Justice threw out the complaint against Tesla’s marketing terms.

Wettbewerbszentrale, the group that filed the complaint, is sponsored by the German auto industry. What a surprise.
The reason for all this is the pathetic way they wrote SEA Levels.

The gap between L2 and L3 is so large that companies can't differentiate themselves properly - so they resort to either gimmicks (<37mph on freeway "L3") or use trade markable but generic sounding phrases.

I'm betting it will be called Not FSD, but only in California.
I would laugh if the car detected you were in California, and all the material related to FSD both in the manual in on the UI suddenly changed to something like that.

As others have stated, it’s a situation of Tesla’s oan making… my wife has been said for years that if they didn’t call it full self driving they wouldn’t have any real problems.

That being said… I can just hear the German national anthem from 1933 to 1945 playing in the back of my mind as I read California has once again nit picked something to death by adding yet another law. (Rather than adding another law what they should be doing is they should be suing Tesla…)

Reactions: brianbcc
I would laugh if the car detected you were in California, and all the material related to FSD both in the manual in on the UI suddenly changed to something like that.

As others have stated, it’s a situation of Tesla’s oan making… my wife has been said for years that if they didn’t call it full self driving they wouldn’t have any real problems.

That being said… I can just hear the German national anthem from 1933 to 1945 playing in the back of my mind as I read California has once again nit picked something to death by adding yet another law. (Rather than adding another law what they should be doing is they should be suing Tesla…)
The name is a red herring. People will still use and abuse it no matter what it's called. The people that get into fatal accidents are all fully aware of the limitations of the system and already know they can't leave the vehicle to its own devices. The name plays zero role. Moves to get Tesla to change the name have gone nowhere for this reason (even the German decision on Autopilot was overturned).

Any four wheel drive, without a form of diff lock, can spin a wheel or two and be no longer driving on all four wheels....has California outlawed that name as well ?....what about the Mars Rover that didn’t work...has California outlawed the name ?.....in a world gone mad it’s reassuring that politicians are too busy with life’s trivia to make things worse