Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teslarati : "California passes law banning Tesla from calling software FSD"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
and here - looks like selling a product called Full Self-Driving capability to me
Screenshot 2022-12-27 at 13.19.35.png

Reactions: dcesq06 and Ramphex
The problem is, as written, the law is quite broad. How would one know what is ok unless it is tested in court ?

I personally think co-pilot is the most accurate .... but will be difficult to distinguish between various features now called AP, EAP ...

Elon is still trying to be accepted into the crowd that used to bully him in highschool ...
The problem with the term co-pilot is that a co-pilot flies the plane when the pilot leaves the cockpit.
How about HyperCruise?
Really it should be called FSD Alpha. 😉

• Funny
Reactions: Ramphex and EVNow
I always interpreted the "Self" in FSD as "myself."

Anyway, this seems like a non-issue. They can just call the package something else, and I think the component names are probably fine per the law. I guess we'll see. I guess calling it a beta as mentioned above might solve the problem, not sure about that though.

The other problem is that, we get it… the technicality of “capability”, but I don’t feel the general public does. I can’t deny, I didn’t either until I started doing a ton of research and reading the forums plus purchasing the car. Their site is very vague on what the car actually does right now and as an average consumer, I could see how they get tricked into thinking the car just drives itself.

Especially after years of Tesla peddling videos of hands free “self driving”, I don’t believe any of their videos ever mentioned the nags or cabin camera games, lmao.

Let’s be real, isn’t that the question most people ask you about the car? “BuT dOeS iT dRiVe ItSeLf?!”

Reactions: dcesq06
and here - looks like selling a product called Full Self-Driving capability to me
View attachment 889302

literally on the current website
View attachment 889301
Again, as I already pointed this one out, if you widen your screenshot, you’ll see it’s a package of ”additional features”, listed as: navigate on autopilot, auto lane change, summon, autopark. And from your other narrowly cropped screenshot: all functionality of basic autopilot and enhanced autopilot, traffic light and stop sign control, and Autosteer on city streets (coming soon). So would you be satisfied if they literally find/replace “full” with “future”? My point is this new law is more political posturing than effectual.

Again, as I already pointed this one out, if you widen your screenshot, you’ll see it’s a package of ”additional features”, listed as: navigate on autopilot, auto lane change, summon, autopark. And from your other narrowly cropped screenshot: all functionality of basic autopilot and enhanced autopilot, traffic light and stop sign control, and Autosteer on city streets (coming soon). So would you be satisfied if they literally find/replace “full” with “future”? My point is this new law is more political posturing than effectual.
I think it’s a mixture of both. I bet if you ask any of the people you know, that aren’t Tesla fans, about whether Teslas fully drive themselves…. They’ll tell you yes. Based off the Tesla ads, false promises, naming of the feature, and a sprinkle of shills on top

I think it’s a mixture of both. I bet if you ask any of the people you know, that aren’t Tesla fans, about whether Teslas fully drive themselves…. They’ll tell you yes. Based off the Tesla ads, false promises, naming of the feature, and a sprinkle of shills on top
Tesla doesn’t have ads? Tweets and website timing verbiage is already gone. So what’s left is changing one word on the website in a few places. Not much can be done about the shills on top.

I have also been asked whether my Tesla drives itself too so clearly someone is giving people that impression (TSLAQ?). On the other hand it doesn't actually seem to be causing a safety issue. I still think Tesla should be more clear about exactly what they're selling. Are they promising that FSD will ever be out of beta? Once it's out of beta will it be real full self-driving? Meaning it won't require a driver?

Reactions: Ramphex
Tesla doesn’t have ads? Tweets and website timing verbiage is already gone. So what’s left is changing one word on the website in a few places. Not much can be done about the shills on top.
You Cali people always kill me with something lol… okay fine, these aren’t ads…. They’re infomercials? Informational clips? Who the hell cares what you call them, the general public thinks that Teslas are capable of fully driving themselves because of the content Tesla put out, along with the name.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
You Cali people always kill me with something lol… okay fine, these aren’t ads…. They’re infomercials? Informational clips? Who the hell cares what you call them, the general public thinks that Teslas are capable of fully driving themselves because of the content Tesla put out, along with the name.

I hardly think of myself as a Californian, having lived equal time on the East Coast and in the South. But I understand your point. My point is this law isn’t going to change much because I can’t find what it would apply to other than that one word in a few places on their website.

I hardly think of myself as a Californian, having lived equal time on the East Coast and in the South. But I understand your point. My point is this law isn’t going to change much because I can’t find what it would apply to other than that one word in a few places on their website.
I agree on that, sounds more like a publicity stunt than anything.

Given the phrasing this is may well be subject to interpretation, which means a court will eventually decide.
A court may decide if the section is challenged, but I don't think there is any ambiguity in what (b) refers to. It states:

A manufacturer or dealer shall not name any partial driving automation feature, or describe any partial driving automation feature in marketing materials, using language that implies or would otherwise lead a reasonable person to believe, that the feature allows the vehicle to function as an autonomous vehicle, as defined in Section 38750, or otherwise has functionality not actually included in the feature. A violation of this subdivision shall be considered a misleading advertisement for the purposes of Section 11713.

Given how "or" is used in the statute, (b) means:
  • Tesla shall not name any partial driving automation feature using language that implies or would otherwise lead a reasonable person to believe .....
  • Tesla shall not describe any partial driving automation feature in its marketing materials using language that implies or would otherwise lead a reasonable person to believe ....
If (b) was limited to marketing materials, then the sentence would state: A manufacturer or dealer shall not name or describe any partial driving automation feature in marketing materials using language that implies......